missing frames

Reaction score
hello, recently installed several of the latest dahua 5442T-ZE varifocal turrets. was looking at some of the footage and am seeing ghosting and what looks like missing frames. you can see this guy get of the car then the footage goes out before you see him walking back...

the camera is wired into a poe switch ->router-> 10gbe switch> 10gbe port on 1821+ synology surveillance station.

any ideas what is causing this or how to trouble shoot?

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Cameras connected to Wifi routers (whether wifi or not) are problematic for surveillance cameras because they are always streaming and passing data. And the data demands go up with motion and then you lose signal or get tearing or other issues. A lost packet and it has to resend. It can bring the whole network down if trying to send cameras through a wifi router. At the very least it can slow down your entire system.

Unlike Netflix and other streaming services that buffer a movie, these cameras do not buffer up part of the video, so drop outs are frequent. You would be amazed how much streaming services buffer - don't believe me, start watching something and unplug your router and watch how much longer you can watch NetFlix before it freezes - mine goes 45 seconds. Now do the same with a camera connected to a router and it is fairly instantaneous (within the latency of the stream itself)...

The same issue applies even with the hard-wired cameras trying to send all this non-buffer video stream through a router. Most consumer grade wifi routers are not designed to pass the constant video stream data of cameras, and since they do not buffer, you get these issues. The consumer routers are just not designed for this kind of traffic, even a GB speed router.

So the more cameras you add, the bigger the potential for issues.

You can look at the settings and see if you have anything out of whack.

Try H264 with no codec.
15 FPS
15 Iframes
CBR
8192 bitrate.

Then if it is still happening, see about getting the cameras off the router. Connect the NAS to the switch instead of the router.

You can probably confirm this is the issue by downrezing the video, do like 5 FPS and 256 bitrate - it will look like crap, but it won't tear and skip which confirms that you are overloading your system.

Reaction score
thanks for the reply, i figured there was data loss somewhere. it seems to occur only when there is motion such as a human or vehicle, which is set to be detected currently by camera.

im using the following settings

265 codec
smart codec ON
30fps at max res (4mp)
VBR
8192 max bit rate,

what i changed so far was decreasing bit rate to 6144 on all cameras. in the synology panel i can see already the input/output data rate have both decreased so will up date if its fixed.

anyone who uses synology find benefit in using the codec optimization?

any other suggestions welcome for this series of dahua cams or synology.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Smart codec should only be used with an NVR. It came be problematic for other VMS systems.

Use CBR as VBR can be an issue.

30FPS is WAY TOO MUCH - movies on the big screen are shot at 24FPS. These are surveillance cameras not movie cameras. Shutter speed is more important than FPS.

30FPS is just putting too much strain on the system as well.

Most here use 15 FPS.

Watch these, for most of us, it isn't annoying until below 10FPS

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Every field of view is different, but I have found you need contrast to usually be 6-8 higher than the brightness number. Drop sharpness down to like 42.

We want the ability to freeze frame capture a clean image from the video at night, and that is only done with a shutter of 1/60 or faster. At night, default/auto may be on 1/12s shutter or worse to make the image bright.

In my opinion, shutter (exposure) and gain are the two most important parameters and then base the others off of it. Shutter is more important than FPS. It is the shutter speed that prevents motion blur, not FPS. 15 FPS is more than enough for surveillance cameras as we are not producing Hollywood movies. Match iframes to FPS. 15FPS is all that is usually needed.

Many people do not realize there is manual shutter that lets you adjust shutter and gain and a shutter priority that only lets you adjust shutter speed but not gain. The higher the gain, the bigger the noise and see-through ghosting start to appear because the noise is amplified. Most people select shutter priority and run a faster shutter than they should because it is likely being done at 100 gain, so it is actually defeating their purpose of a faster shutter.

But first, run H264, smart codec off, CBR, and 8192 bitrate to start, along with 15 FPS and 15 i-frame.

Go into shutter settings and change to manual shutter and start with custom shutter as ms and change to 0-8.3ms and gain 0-50 (night) and 0-4ms exposure and 0-30 gain (day)for starters. Auto could have a shutter speed of 100ms or more with a gain at 100 and shutter priority could result in gain up at 100 which will contribute to significant ghosting and that blinding white you will get from the infrared or white light.

Now what you will notice immediately at night is that your image gets A LOT darker. That faster the shutter, the more light that is needed. But it is a balance. The nice bright night static image results in Casper blur and ghost during motion LOL. What do we want, a nice static image or a clean image when there is motion introduced to the scene?

In the daytime, if it is still too bright, then drop the 4ms down to 3ms then 2ms, etc. You have to play with it for your field of view.

Then at night, if it is too dark, then start adding ms to the time. Go to 10ms, 12ms, etc. until you find what you feel is acceptable as an image. Then have someone walk around and see if you can get a clean shot. Try not to go above 16.67ms (but certainly not above 30ms) as that tends to be the point where blur starts to occur. Conversely, if it is still bright, then drop down in time to get a faster shutter.

You can also adjust brightness and contrast to improve the image.

You can also add some gain to brighten the image - but the higher the gain, the more ghosting you get. Some cameras can go to 70 or so before it is an issue and some can't go over 50.

But adjusting those two settings will have the biggest impact. The next one is noise reduction. Want to keep that as low as possible. Depending on the amount of light you have, you might be able to get down to 40 or so at night (again camera dependent) and 20-30 during the day, but take it as low as you can before it gets too noisy. Again this one is a balance as well. Too smooth and no noise can result in soft images and contribute to blur.

Do not use backlight features until you have exhausted every other parameter setting. And if you do have to use backlight, take it down as low as possible.

After every setting adjustment, have someone walk around outside and see if you can freeze-frame to get a clean image. If not, keep changing until you do. Clean motion pictures are what we are after, not a clean static image.

Reaction score
if making day night settings independently, should i select the profile to be day/night? currently its set to "full time"

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What many of us have found is that Dahua hasn't completely figured out what day/night profile means LOL. It uses the general profile and will simply switch between black/white and color. Some field of views can get by with that, but if you do not have much light at night, it will suffer using the general profile.

Best bet is to create a day profile and a night profile and then use the schedule to change it based on time, or if you have a computer going 24/7, use this utility that will switch it based on sunrise/sunset (which is what the Dahua should do but doesn't).

Reaction score
In addition to disabling smart codec as suggested, run the poe switch directly to your second switch. Do not run it through the router.
i didnt know you could do that, i made that change and also ended up getting a different switch. i realized it only had 10/100 ports which seem pretty standard with POE vs 1gigabit which i think also has helped especially with the 4k stream.