Mini Dome on the side of stucco

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Probably need to use a junction box. I assume there is empty space above that you will be running the wire down the wall? I'd run some 1/2" PVC or flex Liquid Tight conduit from the space above down the wall into the junction box. Then paint everything to match.

grendel54

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Probably need to use a junction box. I assume there is empty space above that you will be running the wire down the wall? I'd run some 1/2" PVC or flex Liquid Tight conduit from the space above down the wall into the junction box. Then paint everything to match.
I plan on running the wire in the wall.
In wall junction box or PFA139?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Well if you are doing that I'd probably go in wall and flush mount the camera. It will look a hell of a lot cleaner.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Ideally face height, but then people can easily screw with it so you will probably need to mount it higher so it can't be reached. I have one mounted inside at 9' pointing out to catch people coming inside. Its a varifocal so I have it zoomed into close to catch them coming into the door.

Attachments

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Except for really bad areas, and that one member installing in a shady part of town inside apartments that were destroyed in hours (that they knew would happen anyway), most people do not see these and are oblivious to them.

My neighbor is a corner lot so his side fence is literally within 3 feet of the public sidewalk. He has cameras up and down the post at 2 to 4 feet in height and they have never been touched.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Good eye @looney2ns! Its definitely not stucco!

This is a commercial establishment, yes? And this camera location looks (from the small picture) to be on the sidewalk leading into the business? So from my experience, (I own a retail establishment) there is no way I'd install a camera where the public can touch it. Bums on the street, drunks walking by when the business is closed, teenage punks, etc... will damage that camera if they can get a finger on it.

Its different for a house where you don't expect random people to be walking up to your front porch all the time like a commercial business will have. My two cents...

Reaction score
You might consider disguising it, like hiding in a sign. Below are several links to threads where people hid cams outside. I am not saying that any one of these would work for you, but it might get you thinking about the possibilities.

grendel54

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good eye @looney2ns! Its definitely not stucco!

This is a commercial establishment, yes? And this camera location looks (from the small picture) to be on the sidewalk leading into the business? So from my experience, (I own a retail establishment) there is no way I'd install a camera where the public can touch it. Bums on the street, drunks walking by when the business is closed, teenage punks, etc... will damage that camera if they can get a finger on it.

Its different for a house where you don't expect random people to be walking up to your front porch all the time like a commercial business will have. My two cents...
Yes that’s right, those are exactly the bricks they are. Thank you. I was thinking that I would mount the cameras at 93” from the floor. This is what I am doing inside on most. 5’ is probably better for facial recognition but this is indeed a business and I agree that I don’t want anyone playing with it. Thank you for all the Input.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - I like the mini-dome camera at face level by my front door.

I also like another camera to cover the front door area, so I can see the drop off area and have a chance to see anyone also messing with the face level camera.

For a place with a lot of foot traffic, I would get a camera that I can "zoom" in from further away and get a good angle for closer to a straight on shot... ( it's all about the angle and pixels on target )