Milestone Husky x8 and axis ip cameras ISSUES

Nexus31

n3wb
Reaction score
Gobday to all,

I am installing a 100 camera system and the products they selected was milestone husky X8 DVR PC and axis cameras.
The DVR is up and running all the wires have been certified quality but I'm having an issue work cameras are going to blank screen with errors has anyone had this issue before?

Attachments

Nexus31

n3wb
Reaction score
It's running p o e longest distance is 320 ft the cat6 quality check comes from fine but for some reason these cameras keep dropping out could be a firmware issue or the Hardware? I ping the ip for the failing cams and the return TL is fast so it's not a signal issue

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That distance starts to reach the limits. Probably nothing wrong the cable. More than likely it is an issue with camera that is looking for a specific wattage/signal/whatever and it is probably right on the verge of being usable for the camera at that distance. Swapping cameras could work because even if they are all the same camera, there are tolerance differences that one may work when another won't at that distance. But that would be a lot of trial and error with that many cameras and may or may not resolve it, or may for a few of them!

Or add a midway POE. Or a POE+ switch for those cameras. I am sure some others can provide solutions that have experience at those distances, but these are some of the solutions I remember seeing others post in the past.

Dramus

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Depending upon the load at the far end and the PoE source, 320 feet might be pushing your luck for PoE. Is it only the cams on the longest runs that are giving you trouble?

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Gobday to all,

I am installing a 100 camera system and the products they selected was milestone husky X8 DVR PC and axis cameras.
The DVR is up and running all the wires have been certified quality but I'm having an issue work cameras are going to blank screen with errors has anyone had this issue before?
100 cameras on the one screen?, That's an awfully large number to display at once. Can your workstation handle it?.Have you configured live view with secondary streams?

Do those same offline cameras work ok if viewing separately on another smaller view?

Nexus31

n3wb
Reaction score
100 cameras on the one screen?, That's an awfully large number to display at once. Can your workstation handle it?.Have you configured live view with secondary streams?

Do those same offline cameras work ok if viewing separately on another smaller view?
Nah the screen are going to be divides into zone pages I just put the all on one page to see them all until they get their multi screens
Thanks

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Nah the screen are going to be divides into zone pages I just put the all on one page to see them all until they get their multi screens
Thanks
You didn’t answer the question which is does the bad camera show up if viewing it individually opposed to multi screen ?!?

If we ignore wire distance for now the most common problem is out of computer resources.

Next is bandwidth limitations within the network. If we go back to wire distance you would know if the problem is voltage drop because any technician worth their salt would have tested the power / voltage output at the cable with a POE tester / meter!

Nobody runs the maximum distance without planning for overhead which is using 23 AWG solid copper or better Ethernet cable. This is coupled by powering the hardware with POE+ / POE ++ (BT) to insure the line voltage at the dead end is going to be within the 10-15% voltage swing.

When in doubt this is why parallel 18-2 / 16-2 power cable is used to power the hardware and Ethernet is used solely for data.

As others have noted skipping all the above and installing a mid span should have been part of the deployment plan.

Nexus31

n3wb
Reaction score
You didn’t answer the question which is does the bad camera show up if viewing it individually opposed to multi screen ?!?

If we ignore wire distance for now the most common problem is out of computer resources.

Next is bandwidth limitations within the network. If we go back to wire distance you would know if the problem is voltage drop because any technician worth their salt would have tested the power / voltage output at the cable with a POE tester / meter!

Nobody runs the maximum distance without planning for overhead which is using 23 AWG solid copper or better Ethernet cable. This is coupled by powering the hardware with POE+ / POE ++ (BT) to insure the line voltage at the dead end is going to be within the 10-15% voltage swing.

When in doubt this is why parallel 18-2 / 16-2 power cable is used to power the hardware and Ethernet is used solely for data.

As others have noted skipping all the above and installing a mid span should have been part of the deployment plan.
My apologies my earlier response was one of those running out the door to drive 2 hours to the work site reply.
My Discovery is that this work site was specced out by the contractors that built the establishment and the company that called me in last minute only did the infrastructure wiring as per specifications however I didn't notice on the Milestone that some of the profile configurations for the access cameras had to be altered in order to get them to work with the Milestone server. I tested the Poe and cable length the maximum cable was at 225 which was giving no problems all Poe signal registered were at 28 Watts per port at the long end of the cable I even attempted to shut off the poe on the switches and place a Poe adapter Midway on a cable path and still result in having these cameras randomly come in and out with your connection.

I absolutely agree with you that whoever plan this deployment do not properly take in consideration all the 90 turns that the cable path has that dampers signal strength.
The issue is also occurring on cables that are within 50 ft distance so it has to be a conflict with the Milestone X8 DVR and these access cameras but I am a bit concerned that whoever did the wire pulling exerted a lot of force onto the wire and didn't properly do the curves. Then I discovered that the server has two ethernet ports and there are only using one port to digest all that data streaming there is no substream at the moment.

I would really thank you for your reply and detailed explanation and inquiry

Be well. Monday I am going to return with a 200 ft cat6 Terminator cable and run from the MDF to cameras I can reach with it to determine and exclude the wiring if it's an issue. Some of the cameras are blinking orange red which I understood it was a failed to load the firmware but if I take that same camera and hook it up at the switch it works perfectly fine

Nexus31

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm just really baffled at whoever did the deployment planning didn't take into consideration the structure of the building and wire paths the MDF has all the cat 6's running in one single bundle umbilical .

Nexus31

n3wb
Reaction score

I also took a look at the servers performance resources and the TCP and CPU are packed out Max and the server only has 16 GB of RAM with 28 TB raid