Migrating BI from Windows XP Pro to 8.1

Nanookofthenorth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In a nutshell, XP machine met an unfortunate death. Building new machine with 8.1. I'm hoping I can recover data. I did create a backup using the Blue Iris software. I also created backup within BI Tools (I think these might be the same?). I remember reading in the help files something along the way that you would have to edit the registry going this route. Is this correct? If I don't have to edit the registry what is the protocol to import the settings?

I have a license, just can't get to the number until Outlook configured. So, not knowing my license number, migrating from XP to 8.1, and possibly having the backup file, what is the recommended way to get back up and running?

Nanookofthenorth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
... making some progress but need some help. Help file says . . .

"How do I backup and/or restore all settings or move them toa new PC?
You can use the new Export button from the Optionspage. Right-click and Merge this ontothe new PC. The caveat is if you aregoing from a 32-bit OS to 64-bit or vice versa. If going from 32 to 64, you need to edit the .REG file before import toadd the value /Wow6432Node after the /Software node wherever it appears in thefile. For example,HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Perspective Software becomesHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Perspective Software"

Right-click and Merge has me stumped. Any help?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
When you double-click a .reg file in windows, it should offer to do the "merge". No right-click necessary.

Windows XP in most cases is 32 bit (there was a 64 bit edition but that was mostly just for businesses). And Windows 8.1 in most cases is 64 bit. So you will almost certainly have to do the REG file modification as described in your quote.

Nanookofthenorth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks bp2008,

I'm definitely going from 32 to 64, so the edit is a must. I looked at editing the file and you would have to add the /Wow6432Node way too many times (way too much room for error) so I punted on the edit, merge and regedit. Not getting any feed back here, I figured nobody has ever attempted this so I decided to start re-configuring BI.

Can't find the Hikvision cams using SADP, but the Foscam is in, BI app will not log in, etc. Must be something with the new 8.1 install. Not sure if it's a 8.1 security thing or what. This should be pretty simple. Trying to get it all in before having to catch a flight in the morning.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You can export camera settings so you dont have to reprogram those...
For sadp, you need to download the install file then right click properties and use windows 7 compatibility mode....one of the components does not properly install in windows 8 so the software launches but doesnt find anything.
You should not need sadp anyways unless you reset your cams...you should just use the ip adress you had in your xp install.

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you use notepad to edit the .reg file, you can do a find and replace to update it. Real easy.

8.1 has a firewall that will need to be adjusted for SADP to work most likely.

Nanookofthenorth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you use notepad to edit the .reg file, you can do a find and replace to update it. Real easy.

8.1 has a firewall that will need to be adjusted for SADP to work most likely.
This sounds hopeful.

Fenderman, can't export cameras setting due to dead os. I can read the files off of the old c: drive, and currently have it attached to new system.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
ah, missed the part about the machine dying....

Nanookofthenorth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
5 cams installed and I'm at 5% cpu. :)

Still can't get the server and BI app to handshake.

Update: All is good with app and browser.

Last edited by a moderator: