Major Car Accident Video

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
How do we know it was an EV fire?

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I do not live in that area, but I have been through that intersection a few times after checking it out on Google maps. In another life I have done some work at the nearby Kaiser Medical Center in Woodland Hills.

jd415

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@looney2ns the red car that was on fire is a Acura ILX. I believe they only come in hybrid so the batteries are probably smaller. For learning purposes how do you tell its an EV fire? Thanks!

Attachments

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Certainly I'm no vehicular accident analyst, so bear with me here....even though the street is very wide and the intersection is signalized, I'd guess the posted speed limit is between 35 MPH and 45, mainly due to the presence of retail stores, coffee shops, etc. with on-street parking...many instances of possible conflict, including pedestrians. If left up to me, it'd be 35.

My point? The front end damage to 2 of those cars looks more like 50 MPH or greater and maybe even a head-on collision between them. Either that, or the designed crumple zones in the cars have ramped up since I retired in 2004 from a venue where I saw several of those weekly for a long, long time.

In any event, the lawyers are lining up...especially since were talking CA....one of the most litigious states in America.

Last edited:

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
While we are on the subject of SoCal car wrecks, here is one from yesterday. This one happened at the corner of Ball road and Magnolia in Orange County around 2:30 pm. 10 cars were involved with one death. The gray Ford Expedition ran a red light and the driver was drunk. I believe the car with the yellow sheet is the car where the lady was killed.

Car Wreck.jpeg

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
@looney2ns the red car that was on fire is a Acura ILX. I believe they only come in hybrid so the batteries are probably smaller. For learning purposes how do you tell its an EV fire? Thanks!
If it is a EV that is involved in the fire, the engine company will spray water on the fire, knock the flames out, but within a few seconds, the fire erupts again. This will happen over and over again with the batteries. Once an EV battery catches on fire, they basically have to burn themselves out, as water will not extinguish a battery fire, unless you can submerge the whole car in a pond of water or just cover the whole thing with a truckload of dirt.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Press report on the accident I posted above in post #9.

A 36-year-old man was behind bars Friday on suspicion of triggering a DUI eight-car crash that killed a woman in Anaheim. The crash occurred about 2:15 p.m. Thursday at Magnolia Avenue and Ball Road, according to Anaheim police Lt. Shane Carringer. Luis Javier Garcia Pedroza of Anaheim was booked on suspicion of driving under the influence of a drug, according to police Sgt. Matt Sutter. Police suspect Pedroza drove through a red light going south on Magnolia and crashed into the eastbound victim’s car. The victim was identified as 36-year-old Vianey Granillo Ivey of Hawaiian Gardens. Another victim was taken to an area hospital to be treated for moderate injuries, and nine others complained of pain but were treated on scene and did

Last edited: