Mailbox Hide Cam Swap, Lucky Fitment

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The box had a 6mm bullet facing the house with a 6mm looking South and a 2.8 looking North.
I decided I wanted to change the cam facing West (to the house) for two reasons: I want a wider FoV to monitor the full width of the lot and ALSO I want to have an audio source (mic) at the mailbox.
I figured I’d take the hfw1831e 6mm out and swap in a IPC-T2431T-AS 2.8.
Of course I had no way to use the included mount system so I was just going to have to cobble something up. Just stick it in there and start planning what to bend, burn or drill to create a mounting system for the bare eyeball.
So I trial fitted it and to my surprise, the 2-1/2” hole I had drilled before was almost the right size for the front bezel.
About five minutes with some crocus cloth and I had a press-fit cam!
Btw: For you rule-if-thimb-guys, please note: the 6mm lens provided a 60’ FoV at 60’. How’s that for handy!
OK, yes, the numbers are approximate but not far off.
The face of the house is actually 61’ and the overall width of the structure in this view is 72’.
The 6mm sees approximately 60’ of it.
The 2.8 now sees almost the full 120’ property width at a 60’ focal distance.
I’ll add cam views in a little bit.

Attachments

Last edited:

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I needed to paint the sanded-off edge prior to pressing the cam into place and the flat black was handy at that moment. I will spray a proper gloss black over that just shortly.