Machine specs - are they good enough

Tron

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

Newbie here so please go easy!

Recently got into the whole CCTV side of things and got myself an i3 NUC + Blue Iris with an external drive for CCTV recordings. That machine I soon figured could not handle what I had hoped and I was forced to use a more powerful machine in the meantime however that takes up quite a bit of space where I wish to have it.

I've now been looking into the possibility of either just building a Mini ITX build where everything CCTV wise is in the machine case or going to the highest end Intel NUC i7 - I believe its the NUC7I7BNH.
It seems to be quite beefy with a 3.5ghz CPU and a neccessary USB3 port for the external drive holding the camera recordings. I am just worried that from the i3 NUC I can expect a possible similar experience being its a very compact machine can it really put the performance out or should I just do a mini itx build and be happy with that?

To give an idea on how my setup will run:
I am going to be running 3 cameras. Two of which are reolink 422s and 1 foscam.
All cameras record constantly at 20fps and at full resolution supported by each camera at all times.
The machine will also be dedicated to just running blue iris and doing this task so wont ever be used for general tasks or anything like that.

Thanks in advance if anyone can clue me in which direction to head whether that i7 NUC would do the job as it would be perfect in terms of size.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Newbie here so please go easy!

Recently got into the whole CCTV side of things and got myself an i3 NUC + Blue Iris with an external drive for CCTV recordings. That machine I soon figured could not handle what I had hoped and I was forced to use a more powerful machine in the meantime however that takes up quite a bit of space where I wish to have it.

I've now been looking into the possibility of either just building a Mini ITX build where everything CCTV wise is in the machine case or going to the highest end Intel NUC i7 - I believe its the NUC7I7BNH.
It seems to be quite beefy with a 3.5ghz CPU and a neccessary USB3 port for the external drive holding the camera recordings. I am just worried that from the i3 NUC I can expect a possible similar experience being its a very compact machine can it really put the performance out or should I just do a mini itx build and be happy with that?

To give an idea on how my setup will run:
I am going to be running 3 cameras. Two of which are reolink 422s and 1 foscam.
All cameras record constantly at 20fps and at full resolution supported by each camera at all times.
The machine will also be dedicated to just running blue iris and doing this task so wont ever be used for general tasks or anything like that.

Thanks in advance if anyone can clue me in which direction to head whether that i7 NUC would do the job as it would be perfect in terms of size.
Nuc's are over priced and underpowered...additionally they have no room for local storage on a 3.5 drive...building your own system is a waste of time and more importantly money...search elitedesk and optiplex on this forum..
That said, your current nuc can easily handle your load...your issue is user error...enable direct to disk recording for each camera and enable hardware acceleration...note that reolink cameras have issues with blue iris - particularly when using direct to disk...avoid both reolink and foscam in the future they are junk.