LPR 45 deg angle OK?

Webfont

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'd like to install a dedicated LPR cam in front of my house.

It would be on the edge of the house looking at the street

1679071659278.png

Does that fall within the 'acceptable' range of capture angles? I don't have anything else closer to the street that I could attach the camera to.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That gets to be pushing it, but the distance also comes into play - if it is a longer distance, you can get by with a higher angle. If you are beyond 60 feet or so I think you stand a good shot.

Any landscaping you could hide it in to get it closer?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And under ideal conditions look how much angle it can have and still be a readable plate.

Webfont

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The pictures in that thread look encouraging :)

My distance would be ~70-90ft. The front yard has only grass, a city's utilities pole in the corner, and a city tree. Can't legally mount anything to either.
There's also onstreet parking, so can't mount it in some low decoy box closer to the street as it's view would be impeded.
So a higher corner of the house would be it, right under/above the SD49225XA-HNR PTZ that I plan installing there as well. Hopefully there's no issues with competing IR lights.

Bonus Question:
I was looking at maybe either a IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E or IPC-B5442E-Z4E as I sadly can't find any turrets with a high enough zoom.
Would you go for the 2MP 1/1.8 or 4MP 1/2.8? I could get both to a similar ppf based on the ipvm design tool thanks to the 2MP's higher zoom. Are there other criteria that would sway you towards either? They cost the same.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The IR will compliment each other except for the point where the PTZ could catch IR in the glass and give some weird IR bounce. I would go with the LPR above the PTZ to help minimize that potential.

Most of us have found that the Z4E starts having trouble beyond 60 feet - it is more guessing than reading.

Since they are the same price, most of us will recommend the Z12E as it has double the zoom of the Z4E. 2MP is all that is needed for LPR and remember that is all this camera is doing is getting plates. In fact with the right optical zoom, D1 is more than enough.

Webfont

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That's a pretty clear snapshot. What kind of car speeds do you get on your street?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Capturing plates is all about optical zoom, angle, infrared at night, and shutter speed. 1/2000 shutter can get up to 50 mph or so, so a faster shutter if you have highway speeds and lower like 1/1000 for 25mph.