Loryta IPC-B5442E-Z4E 4MP Starlight+ WDR IR 8mm–32mm Motorized Lens Bullet

aboyz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I got this camera becuase it say it can do LPR. I installed it and attached is the picture it came out. I cannot see the license plate of the car because the light is too bright on the driver car. Is there a setting or guideline i need to adjust to lower the light setting? or disable auto night mode? Please advise. Second can I zoom in with this camera? I cannot find anywhere to zoom in. I'm login to the web portal . Finally I added this to my hikvision nvr and on the hikvision dvr there is a a LPR mode and when i select the camera it say this camera is does not have a LPR. So what is goin going.
here is the camera i brought:

Attached is some picture i took

Attachments

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
That camera is a very good one for low light and has a 4x optical zoom. But it is a Dahua and you have a Hikvision NVR. At night you need to use a shutter of 1/2000 to get the plate without motion blur. You need to set the IR to max. These settings need to be done within the camera's web GUI, not he NVR.
1608269496475.png

1608269533005.png
1608269601632.png

This cam does not have LPR functions like OCR and a plate database. But you can use it to get plates if the distance is not too great.

Reaction score
Check out this thread:

aboyz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Check out this thread:
thank you so much!! checking out that thread now..

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
To summarize and add to what others said:

You need to zoom it in tighter and run a faster shutter like 1/2000 as others have suggested. That looks like it is set to auto.

Looking at the pic above, I suspect you haven't zoomed in yet, but that camera may not have enough zoom to be able to read a plate at the perceived distance you are looking at. You basically only want to see a vehicle on the street in the image - not your driveway, parked car, most of your yard, etc.

At nighttime all you will see is a black image and then headlight/taillight and the licence plate.

That camera does not have LPR as in it cannot read the plates and spit out a table of plates - you will have to do read plates manually. If your NVR supports that function, then you need to match brands with a camera with that capability.

Last edited:

aboyz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
To summarize and add to what others said:

You need to zoom it in tighter and run a faster shutter like 1/2000 as others have suggested. That looks like it is set to auto.

Looking at the pic above, I suspect you haven't zoomed in yet, but that camera may not have enough zoom to be able to read a plate at the perceived distance you are looking at. You basically only want to see a vehicle on the street in the image - not your driveway, parked car, most of your yard, etc.

At nighttime all you will see is a black image and then headlight/taillight and the licence plate.

That camera does not have LPR as in it cannot read the plates and spit out a table of plates - you will have to do read plates manually. If your NVR supports that function, then you need to match brands with a camera with that capability.
Thank you. with the suggestion and the one before. I have set the shutter to 1/2000 that make a difference. I will test out the camera at night today. Question i have is day and night. I set the day time say from 6am-8pm and the rest is night time correct? that will switch between day mode and night mode correct? Currently I have adjust the same setting to the day mode and this is the outcome. Is ther anything I need to do beside this? should i shoot my angle more to the right or I am good as it is. I have zoomed in full blast. Please see attached photo. Thank you all for the help..

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You will need to set the time to go to night and in b/w 45 minutes or so before sunset or else at the fast shutter it will not be able to focus. And then same thing for sunrise - 45 minutes after sunrise. Turn IR to manual and the maximum. Your image will be pitch black at night except for headlight/tailight and license plate.

aboyz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You will need to set the time to go to night and in b/w 45 minutes or so before sunset or else at the fast shutter it will not be able to focus. And then same thing for sunrise - 45 minutes after sunrise. Turn IR to manual and the maximum. Your image will be pitch black at night except for headlight/tailight and license plate.
Sorry, but where is the IR setting at? I cannot seem to find it. I still cannot capture the picture at night. please see attached.

Attachments

aboyz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
here is all my setting. please let me know where i can find the IR. i can't seem to find it.. Is all my setting set correctly? thank you again for your time.

Attachments

Reaction score
Sorry, but where is the IR setting at? I cannot seem to find it. I still cannot capture the picture at night. please see attached.
1608340847401.png

Look man, you are going to have to try and investigate all of the settings that are on the web GUI and see what changing ONE impacts the video. No one here can set this up for you. You are the one that jumped downthis rabbit hole, no one pushed you. Every one of these options shown above will impact how the video looks.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Use my settings as a start - you need to move the camera down just a little, you are getting IR bounce at the top and that will impact your ability to get the plates.

Reaction score
Here are the settings I am currently using. I started with the settings I posted in post #12 from @wittaj and you can see how I changed them. Every cam and view will be different. My other LPR cam settings are slightly different than these.
dec2020 LPR-E night.JPG

aboyz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ok. after looking at your configuration and i applied to mine, still not getting license plate to come out. Seem like the license plate is not showing up bright even. I'll mess around with the setting and see if i can get it. Let me go and move the camera down a little bit so it doesn't shoot at that cross bar.

thank you.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You will have trouble tonight because it had nothing to focus on, so the focus is probably off. Hopefully moving the camera down a bit will give you more IR at the street.

If possible, have someone stop a vehicle in the frame so you can focus it at night. Maybe bump the iris opening up a bit to get a little brighter.

aboyz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You will have trouble tonight because it had nothing to focus on, so the focus is probably off. Hopefully moving the camera down a bit will give you more IR at the street.

If possible, have someone stop a vehicle in the frame so you can focus it at night. Maybe bump the iris opening up a bit to get a little brighter.
Lucky a parked car is on the other side of the street. I was able to see that license plate no problem. But when a car drove by i couldn't see the license plate. Maybe it have no lights? or its too dirty? I'll try to see another car if that is the case. Because if you can see the car parked i can see the license plate cleary.

thank you

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is the illuminator or IR on manual and 100 near and far? You may be at the range of that camera for the distance you are shooting. I mentioned earlier I thought you may not have enough zoom.

But that could have been a dirty plate or no plate with temp tags in window?

Try opening the iris some and see if it lightens.

aboyz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ok. that maybe a dirty plate. just got another car drove up and i can see the license plate now. How is the quality on it.?

thank you again..

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That looks good - gain might be a little too high getting some of the extended headlight, but as long as the plate is readable.