Lorex W261AQ (Indoor PTZ) - it actually does work wired/ethernet

CanMan20

n3wb
Reaction score
This post is just FYI in-case anyone is researching the Lorex W261AQ indoor PTZ "smart" HD camera:
The PDF setup guide as well as a question in their Q&A section (of the above linked product page) says that even though there is an RJ45 ethernet port on the back, this is a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi only camera and that the port is for service only. However, this is actually incorrect.

During setup it does ask whether you want to connect it wired or wireless. And choosing the former works perfectly fine, contrary to their documentation and their Q&A. Including optionally adding it to a Lorex Fusion NVR for 7x24 NVR recording (which is great). This makes sense after all - why the expense to put a jack into it "for service only". Though it's still powered via USB (no PoE - use the regular switched network ethernet).

I have plenty of wifi devices (and good coverage) in my house but as a general rule I always, always, always prefer to hardwire if at all possible! So I was pleasantly surprised to see this camera work perfectly fine when hard-wired. Had to let it run over night before the NVR could discover it and add it to the network, but it has now and it's all working great.

Just FYI for anyone who searches for this info.