looking for a good wifi repeater

rahhazar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a repeater which is a struggle getting it connected and sometimes when it gets connected it won't work.
Looking for suggestions to get a new wifi repeater.
thanks in advance

EDIT: I want it for a system in my vehicle that requires internet via Ethernet cable. everything is in my vehicle since its mobile I use hotspot to provide internet. Apologies for confusion.

Last edited:

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
understand you don’t have opportunity to run cat5/6 cable, otherwise I will recommend an access point. Using your existing AC power lines, I will try instead a powerline (homeplug). Netgear is my favorite choice. I used to run several av500 around my house with no issues

rahhazar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
since i have to unplug in few times a day my existing repeater takes too long to reconnect etc or shuts down, sounds like netgear is the way to go. thanks

rahhazar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
yea no other choice since I am doing projects remotely that's the reason I have to use it.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
understand you don’t have opportunity to run cat5/6 cable, otherwise I will recommend an access point. Using your existing AC power lines, I will try instead a powerline (homeplug). Netgear is my favorite choice. I used to run several av500 around my house with no issues
Only downside to this is security, you are actually opening up your network traffic on the Electrical grid with a Powerline. Look up Smart Meter attacks, even though rare, they may increase over time...

Armysurplus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I can't recommend a consumer off the shelf system, too many out there. Software Defined Radio systems are the way to go if you have special configuration requirements. Modules can be configured using software. We are talking from a simple 2 way to a complex digital command and control center. Basically it is a computer with 1 or more transceivers. they are as small as a pack of smokes (5 watts) to a large room (4M watts) . No that is not a typo, I worked a project, building a 4M watt 3D Radar transmitter connected to a 28 db gain disk. I think the customer wanted to track beer cans around Mars. :cool: Myself on my proof of concept prototypes I use a computer, router w/ 3rd party firmware, and the peripheral's needed. With this just about anything can be built. I would think if a simple net with special requirements or even a link style set up was what is needed, a higher end router with 3rd party firm ware would fill the bill. I use Asus routers with Merlin firmware, and If it doesn't have the feature/ requirement needed (usably it does), just write a script. A pic of My current project is at either at the beach house, or the covid-19 threads, and I am using a Asus router w/merlin to link and control 6 modules. Without SDR the hardware and interconnection cables can be massive. I use this as a 6Ghz receiver, scanner, RF/ Network analyzing tool box. Very versatile. what I'm attempting is to make a modular Interoperability command center where the module can be deployed stand alone if needed using commercial off the shelf components. My proof of concept works, but there isn't enough of the required safety protocols installed to license it., yet! OH got to go I hear trash trucks....See Ya
s.jpg

rahhazar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
yes everything is in my vehicle and I need internet via Ethernet cable everything is within a feet. since its mobile i can not run wire everywhere.

jd415

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Repeaters are old school, get mesh Wifi something like Eero or another brand.

The best way of course would be to run a Cat-6 cable with an access point but that is not always possible.

rahhazar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
d
Repeaters are old school, get mesh Wifi something like Eero or another brand.

The best way of course would be to run a Cat-6 cable with an access point but that is not always possible.
Can you provide a link?
do you know that I want to use it in my vehicle not at home.

Armysurplus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think I wasn't fully clear either. My experiences with mobile internet access, has came to the same conclusion, Nothing is 100% . For Me a cellular Data connection has been the most reliable. I use a mobile hot spot (8 client logon), from My carrier, then connect a ASUS router for peripherals and bidirectional amp for the fringe area. this config has worked well for Me. Mike/Ez

Armysurplus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I first became interested in mobile communications, when my dad taught me how to use a repeater phone patch. I would dream of stuffing 15 lbs. of RF into a 5 lbs. box. The looks I would get from TSA, when they would scan my briefcase. I would smile and flash my govt. ID. Now I have 20 lbs. of RF in a package that fits in the palm of My hand. It is a Yeasu VX8, and there are so many functions I need to carry the manual when in use. This radio has been in use as a cross band repeater. after the camp fire in paradise CA burned up most everything. The local hams set up a 144Mhz and a 440Mhz portable repeaters, and I programed my VX8 to link them together. This radio, a inline amplifier, and a base station antenna with filtering, and I had the building blocks needed for interoperability repeater (it is limited to 2 bands). Add a router and now it is a mobile workstation including internet, but the radio and operator must be licensed. Change out the radio for the mobile hotspot, now no license required. Enough RF talk. Good luck finding the combination that works for You Mike/Ez