Longest CAT6 cable run

jamesjfa

n3wb
Reaction score
What would be the longest run between the POE switch and POE camera? Using the switch to provide power for the camera.

The reason I ask is that I am having connection issues on a brand new camera that is around 40m away connecting to a TP-Link TL-SG1008MP switch.

Thanks,
James

jamesjfa

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. The cable was installed and terminated (568A) by a local electrician. I have connected other devices (non POE) and have no issues.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I would suspect a bad termination. PoE at 40m is nothing at all. Did your local electrician test/certify the cable at all?

jamesjfa

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes the cable was certified too.

I should also say the previous camera I had there (a Reolink) worked without issue until the camera died.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd still lean toward a bad termination on one end or the other. Is the camera outside and is the RJ outside properly sealed and was dielectric grease used on the connector? You can also try bringing the camera in and test using a known good cable. That will help eliminate the camera as the problem.

jamesjfa

n3wb
Reaction score
I did bring the camera in and test it. It worked fine. As for the other questions, I am not sure to be honest.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'll assume the camera is outside. Even if it is under an eve or otherwise protected moisture can occur in the RJ connection due to condensation from heating and cooling. It doesn't take much which is why I mentioned dielectric grease and proper sealing. I still think it's a bad, flaky, termination on one of the connectors especially given that it tests fine on the bench. If you can get to the cable, itself, have a look at the markings and make sure it is copper and not marked CCA. DId your electrician supply the cable?

Last edited:

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I vote for a bad termination. They can and do go bad even though they look perfect. Been there, done that. Then the question is, which end do you cut first... :idk: Terminating cables yourself is not difficult, just a little learning curve, paying someone to come re-terminate two ends would pay for the crimping tool set.

jamesjfa

n3wb
Reaction score
ok just ordered some cat6 plugs. Already have the crimping tool. shouldn't take too long to do both ends. shall look at dielectric grease grease too.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I shall update this once I have terminated the cables again.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Especially if it sat unprotected in the elements between when one camera was taken down and another put up!

My one neighbor that takes his sweet time to do anything (mowing a quarter acre lot yard is a 3-day ordeal lol), he took his old cameras down one day, and several months later got around to installing the new cams and only half of them worked because the connectors corroded being exposed for that amount of time.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I just use a dab to protect the pins on both the male and female connector, but you can fill the female too. Personal [reference I guess. Way less of a mess with just a dab though and it seems to be very effective, IMHO.