Long Distance Run Data Fails Quick Question

botics

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have power supplied by testing power today from and to my 12v cameras (4).

Data drops due to long run (poor planning). However, if I hook up a 1gigabit switch at each camera (4) I am able to provide data to the NVR and IPCAMPOWER switch - and the camera come up and work.

Should I install an outdoor switch and splice 4 cat6 runs or is there a better way to push data? I even though about changing the cameras (IPC-T5442TM-AS-2.8MM 4MP) but do not know if I should.

Thanks.

botics

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thought about splicing the cat6 and installing a gigabit switch in between the NVR and it and running one cat 6 back to NVR.

botics

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks, just bought it. My estimate is over 350 feet. The gigabit switch provided data signal. I must be right on the borderline...

Reaction score
Hmm. Many things go into packet drops enough to affect camera video at 350' distance. What material is the copper? What gauge? Are there any kinks or too tight of a bend? How are the terminations at the end of the Cat6? Is the copper starting to rust due to being in the ground?
When you go over the maximum distance magic number, this is where things need to more perfect. Only way to tell is with a network tester for Cat5e or Cat6, not just a pin out copper tester. If someone called my work to test a single cable, we would do so at a reasonable price or maybe even free if it only took 5 minutes to accomplish and was in-between or on-the-way to another job. Call your local low voltage guys and ask...doesn't hurt to offer pizza as an offering :)
Easiest / cheapest thing to do is to reterminate both ends of the Cat6 and see if it helps out. This re-termination needs to be as near perfect as possible.
I have installed IP cameras in the 350'-400' range that worked in warehouses with both Cat5e and Cat6.
Though, there is always that one chance that because it's over the max official distance, things can go awry for no reason.

Last edited:

Photon Farmer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Maybe the NVR can be set for longer data runs per port

I have a Hikvision NVR that can set ports for slower but longer distance

My longest run is about 700 feet with cat 6 cable

I have also used a POE switch that can be set for short (100Mbps/100 Meters) or longer(10Mbps/250 Meters) run

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Holbs is right on. I had a helluva time trying to get this one cat5e run in an Indianapolis hospital to come in at 300 feet. We had to certify our cable runs and print out test results to give the BioMed managers. I spent a shit load of time in the bowels of the walls and ceilings trying to find a path to this Operating room. I came in at just over 300 feet, My boss didn't like anything over 300 feet, but I did all I could and came in like 312 or something. The cable passed the testing, so I fudged the excel spreadsheet on that cable length to 302. It didn't raise an eyebrow. Hopefully the cardiac monitoring equipment worked good for them. Never had a complaint about it. I have a run to install at the Condo that will be close to this 300-315 foot length. I'll Have to take my time and not kink the cat5e, and stay away from noise sources as much as possible. and make good terminations. It's going to run a z12 5231 flavored bullet cam.

Dramus

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have gone slightly over the 328 ft. limit on Cat 5E and had error-free connectivity. (Cables failed qualification testing on length and impedance, though.) But I was using top-of-the-line cable (Belden DataTwist) and it was run flawlessly.

350 feet sounds like pushing your luck. Particularly for a PoE installation. If you can do it, I'd put in a mid-span PoE switch and back-haul it.

botics

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
All my runs are in pipe and burial cat6 (just to be safe).
Hmm. Many things go into packet drops enough to affect camera video at 350' distance. What material is the copper? What gauge? Are there any kinks or too tight of a bend? How are the terminations at the end of the Cat6? Is the copper starting to rust due to being in the ground?
When you go over the maximum distance magic number, this is where things need to more perfect. Only way to tell is with a network tester for Cat5e or Cat6, not just a pin out copper tester. If someone called my work to test a single cable, we would do so at a reasonable price or maybe even free if it only took 5 minutes to accomplish and was in-between or on-the-way to another job. Call your local low voltage guys and ask...doesn't hurt to offer pizza as an offering :)
Easiest / cheapest thing to do is to reterminate both ends of the Cat6 and see if it helps out. This re-termination needs to be as near perfect as possible.
I have installed IP cameras in the 350'-400' range that worked in warehouses with both Cat5e and Cat6.
Though, there is always that one chance that because it's over the max official distance, things can go awry for no reason.
Brand new clean burial cat6 unwrapped from spool and made sure no kinks. All cables verified to be working and terminated correctly. I made a test cable today and walked it off and tested it and same issue with the packets. Spoke to Andy and he advised picking up a PFT1300 and PFT1200 so I will order it and test it.

Only way so far I have had no packet loss is using a gigabit switch on the camera side as a test with camera connected and cat6 run going back to POE switch.

Last edited:

Zook

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It's always a crapshot.
What I have learned is - if you are going to be running close to the maximum parameter, go ahead and install, or plan to install something to boost/regenerate the signal.
Some things will work, some won't...it's impossible to know from brand-to-brand, chip-to-chip, model-to-model, device-to-device.
If you're installing, plan ahead. If it's done and you have problems after the fact, t-shoot the best you can (sounds like you have), and implement the best solution you are able to.

Just did this last week...ENID and JDSU came up good to a customer's switch over a single-mode fiber extension, but the Velocloud didn't seem to be able to shoot strong enough light through the same SFP/extension used. Everything used in all scenarios was the same physical objects, except for the end device. :idk: