Lines power motion light option

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am thinking of installing a motion light system in my large open office space. The primarily goal is to encourage a perpetrator of a window break in attempt to chose to exit vs grab. I will gladly eat the cost of a window vs losing stuff. The secondary goal would be to increase pixels on target in color mode for whatever cameras might be pointed in the general direction vs installing a large number of IR illuminators. I will likely also instal a couple of IR illuminators to supplement things. I am pretty sure that 2 seconds after someone enters and the lights would go on and two seconds later the color image quality with 100 48" florescent tubes will blow the B&W IR image quality away.

What is the best sort (model?) of motion sensor to use to trigger mains power to the building lights? The sensor would need to be located in the right location and oriented to the area(s) of interest (windows). I assume that i can wire several in parallel?

I had another thought. How well do IR motion sensors work with IR illuminators?

I would love to also be able to trigger off of a loud glass smash sound a few seconds earlier, before the perp even steps into the space.

I could also install a battery backed exit sign like option, but the lumens would be limited, but gain some protection for a power outage event.

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When a motion light comes on it blinds the camera for a few seconds while it adjusts. if the person leaves or not is dependent on the amount of drugs they are on.

Cameras are for after the fact, who did it and what happened. They are not a very good deterrent

Keep a light on in the office 100% of the time. Have a monitored alarm system, with a very loud siren , break glass detectors and motion detectors.

On my home alarm system i have a outside siren mounted inside, it is 130dB. It hurts the ears when it goes off, you do not want to be around.

Last edited: