Light artillery shell and ring door bell

mark_whocares

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
"artillery shell"

seems a tad misleading. this appears to be consumer grade fireworks. Not "HE" artillery for mobile guns. still, that's a far cry from flaming dog shit.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
"artillery shell"

seems a tad misleading. this appears to be consumer grade fireworks. Not "HE" artillery for mobile guns. still, that's a far cry from flaming dog shit.

That is exactly what these are called...what is misleading ?

BOOM.JPG

mark_whocares

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That is exactly what these are called...what is misleading ?
I read artillery shell and I was expecting something that was closer to a IED under a road in some sandbox.

I will accept that misleading wasn't the best word for me to have used. I grew up with my dad screaming out in his sleep like he was still on the radio calling in artillery strikes. so consumer grade motor fireworks wasn't what I expected. my apologies.

SkyLake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
They need to shove that shell up his bottom!

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Pity about the light placement, severely affected the capture.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
I read artillery shell and I was expecting something that was closer to a IED under a road in some sandbox.

I will accept that misleading wasn't the best word for me to have used. I grew up with my dad screaming out in his sleep like he was still on the radio calling in artillery strikes. so consumer grade motor fireworks wasn't what I expected. my apologies.
No problem, unfortunately they made this crap legal in Iowa last year and it will only get worse each year. Before, all you could have were snakes & sparklers. I enjoy professional firework displays but too many incidents like this will hopefully get the law switched back. The State loves the revenue though so who knows. It was way back in 1931 when Spencer, IA lost 100 buildings downtown due to fireworks, they eventually banned them in 1938. Hopefully history don't repeat itself or some child loses a eye. :smash:

mark_whocares

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think there is already a law to cover a whole litany of charges that could be brought against the person who is in the video. the supplies used aren't the problem in my eyes.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't think you can blame fireworks for this, more the delinquent youth in the area. The answer is to prosecute the hell out of anyone who does anything like this and make them pay compensation. Those that don't care about the conviction will care about their parents beating the crap out of them when they get the bill. You also need to prosecute shopkeepers for selling them to underage kids. Don't know what your limits are, but in the UK, the age limit is 18, and our local Trading Standards / Police make undercover tests purchases using people who appear underage to catch and fine shops selling them illegally.

I'm guessing a good door is probably in the $800-1,000 range fitted if the UK is anything to go by, which probably equals a good beating in a poor neighbourhood!

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
No problem, unfortunately they made this crap legal in Iowa last year and it will only get worse each year. Before, all you could have were snakes & sparklers. I enjoy professional firework displays but too many incidents like this will hopefully get the law switched back. The State loves the revenue though so who knows. It was way back in 1931 when Spencer, IA lost 100 buildings downtown due to fireworks, they eventually banned them in 1938. Hopefully history don't repeat itself or some child loses a eye. :smash:
Snakes and sparklers... Reminds me of this scene in "Joe Dirt":

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
I agree with the idea of having the kids themselves (not the parents) pay for the damages as part of the punishment.

Years ago, a kid drove around our town and shot out a lot of car windows with a BB or pellet gun. When the damages were added up, he'd done over 30,000 dollars (1980s dollars) worth of damage!

He was caught and ordered to pay for it all. My car had two side windows broken, and we got checks periodically from the "Victim's Compensation Fund" for many years. And each time we got one, I actually felt sorry for the kid! Imagine, starting at about age 18, spending every dime of your disposable income paying back for that one night of foolishness for five or ten years!

I was mad when it first happened, but over the years, I really did feel bad for the guy.

A lot of times, kids don't think about the possible damage or consequences of foolish pranks, or reckless behavior. But they can grow out of that and become excellent citizens. It all depends, of course. But having to make restitution for something like this would likely make a huge impact on a kid.

The nasty thing about this was ringing the doorbells. If someone had answered the door soon enough, they could have been blinded, deafened, or otherwise seriously injured by shrapnel.

Hopefully it was not the intention of these kids to injure anyone. If it was, then that indicates some serious mental issues that are likely to be present for the rest of their lives. I've known some kids, who you knew would never grow out of their "defects", and you could see the signs from quite early on. That is scary and sad.

Last edited: