License Plate Camera for Blue Iris

chyatt21

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What are some great options for capturing license plates?

It does not necessarily have to be ALPR. As I do not want the system connected to the internet, nor a subscription.

The cameras must be POE only. The approximate viewing distance is 70 feet, with an angle of 30 degrees. Im going to have 2 cameras affixed on the front corners of the house, because front plates are not a thing where I live. With that being said 1 camera will have light from a street light.

Also, from what I understand the camera should have auto iris and optical zoom. Is this correct?

Thank you in advance,
Chyatt21

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The 5241-Z12 from Dahua should work at the distance you're talking about.

You do realise that the LPR cameras will have nothing more than a black picture, at night, except when a car passes by for a plate capture. Shutter speeds normally need to be 1/1000 or higher.

LPR

Last edited:

mrc545

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The 5241-Z12 from Dahua should work at the distance you're talking about.

You do realise that the LPR cameras will have nothing more than a black picture, at night, except when a car passes by for a plate capture. Shutter speeds normally need to be 1/1000 or higher.

LPR
Seconded. I have two of these (same directional configuration as what you are planning), and they have been running strong for a while now.

chyatt21

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

LPR
Yes, that is fine I plan on having plenty of other cameras around. Also one of those will be an overview cam.

chyatt21

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, it is. Andy, EmpireTech, buys international versions of Dahua and calls them Loryata due to requirements of both Dahua and Amazon. They are Dahua under the hood and fully upgradeable, safely, with new firmware when needed or desired.

chyatt21

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, it is. Andy, EmpireTech, buys international versions of Dahua and calls them Loryata due to requirements of both Dahua and Amazon. They are Dahua under the hood and fully upgradeable, safely, with new firmware when needed or desired.
That is great to hear! Couple of questions;

Are they compatible with Blue Iris?
How well does it capture plates in complete darkness?
How well does it capture plates of cars traveling 30mph day/night? As it has 30fps and Shutter Speed 1/3 s–1/100000 s.

Thank you for helping!

chyatt21

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here is the link to my reddit post about the build if anyone is curious. Replys should be posted there as to organize threads. Thank you

Blue Iris 2U server my first build, need help

After endless hours of research this is what I am thinking. And I am wanting this in a 2U case.

Chassis - Rosewill RSV-Z2600 2U
Mother Board - Gigabyte H470M DS3H LGA1200 Intel H470 Micro ATX
CPU - Intel i7 10700 2.9GHz not looking to overclock
GPU - Not sure I need one with Intel Quick Sync
RAM - Crucial Balistics 32GB(total) 3000Mhz DDR4 CL15
PSU - TBD, ideas?
Case Fans - x3 Noctua (exact mo undecided)
CPU Fan - Noctua, ideas?
SSD - Samsung Evo 500GB NVME m.2 3500/3300MB/s
HDD - Western Digital 8TB(x2) Purple Surveillance drives
NIC - PCIe low profile dual port 10/100/1000, will I need a riser?
OS - Windows 10 Home 64bit

This will be a dedicated machine running the latest version of Blue Iris 5. There will be a total of 15 cameras running approximately 1500-1700MP/s. This should allow room for future expansion. My main concerns are heat, compatibility, and is this just overkill? The bold areas are where I could use some help.

Links for research if anyone is interested.

Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris (Hardware ideas, Nov 2020)
Ryzen 3950x for Blue Iris (RAM speeds matter, Nov 2019)
Blue Iris Update Helper (Huge data pool/very eye opening, up to date)
Hardware recommendations - Blue Iris (interesting/see comment from shrike0064)

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Here are my extra pedantic notes

• Ditch the case, they have horrible build quality - My post - Rosewill Build Quality Fail.
  • Personally I'd want something with hot-swap bays on the front so you can add-replace drives at will
  • CPU Looks good I think, and yes you NEED QuickSync
  • 32GB RAM seems a bit much, no? I'd go with 16GB personally. Maybe someone else can chime in
  • PSU - I've had excellent luck the be quiet! units
  • Noctua are always a good choice
  • Noctua NH-L9i could work maybe?
  • You won't see any gain from NVMe, so you could go with a cheaper M.2 SATA or even 2.5" SATA if it saves you some cash
  • I'd go the Best Buy EasyStore shucking route and save cash on the drives
  • Make sure the NIC is real! Comparison: Intel i350-T4 Genuine vs Fake
  • I'd go Windows 10 Pro, or Windows Server 2019. Home lacks a lot of features

chyatt21

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here are my extra pedantic notes

• Ditch the case, they have horrible build quality - My post - Rosewill Build Quality Fail.
  • Personally I'd want something with hot-swap bays on the front so you can add-replace drives at will
  • CPU Looks good I think, and yes you NEED QuickSync
  • 32GB RAM seems a bit much, no? I'd go with 16GB personally. Maybe someone else can chime in
  • PSU - I've had excellent luck the be quiet! units
  • Noctua are always a good choice
  • Noctua NH-L9i could work maybe?
  • You won't see any gain from NVMe, so you could go with a cheaper M.2 SATA or even 2.5" SATA if it saves you some cash
  • I'd go the Best Buy EasyStore shucking route and save cash on the drives
  • Make sure the NIC is real! Comparison: Intel i350-T4 Genuine vs Fake
  • I'd go Windows 10 Pro, or Windows Server 2019. Home lacks a lot of features
Awesome info some areas I will have to dig into. Can you reccomend a 2U case is not a rosewill?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Keep in mind with the sub stream function available in BI you don't need as much horsepower as used to be needed. Yes, you'll be running a camera or two at full, high, resolution for LPR, but the rest can use sub streams and save tons of CPU.