Less than 2% cpu usage with substreams....down from 25%

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Upgraded from BI 4 to 5 today. I didn't even know about the substream thing. My motivation was Deepstack integration. But then I read the note about substreams. I have 14 cameras ranging from 2 to 5 MPs. I enabled and configured the substreams on each one and had BI rescan the ONVIF cameras and in some cases I had to manually select the cameras. In one case I even had to go hunt down the path for the second stream for a Sony camera.

As I enabled the substream on each camera configuration, the cpu dropped and kept dropping. By the time I was done, my cpu usage was bouncing between 1 and 2%. I couldn't believe it. I had to run around to each camera and make sure motion detection was really working which is just as well as it was before. On top of that, I haven't yet disabled object detection as is often recommended when integrating with Deepstack.

Pentagano

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Upgraded from BI 4 to 5 today. I didn't even know about the substream thing. My motivation was Deepstack integration. But then I read the note about substreams. I have 14 cameras ranging from 2 to 5 MPs. I enabled and configured the substreams on each one and had BI rescan the ONVIF cameras and in some cases I had to manually select the cameras. In one case I even had to go hunt down the path for the second stream for a Sony camera.

As I enabled the substream on each camera configuration, the cpu dropped and kept dropping. By the time I was done, my cpu usage was bouncing between 1 and 2%. I couldn't believe it. I had to run around to each camera and make sure motion detection was really working which is just as well as it was before. On top of that, I haven't yet disabled object detection as is often recommended when integrating with Deepstack.
Are you using the subs for continuous recording? Hence the drop in cpu?

I use the subs for continuous (clones) and mainstream HD only for snapshots when triggered (deepstack/AI).
i7 -7700 3.4ghz (4 core/8 threads)

I think the high-resolution snapshots are more accurate for object detection. please correct me if I'm wrong.

Pentagano

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So far, the consensus is not to use high resolution for DS detection. As with everything YMMV.
Updated mine to try the Lower resolution subs. We'll see how deepstack works overnight.
Fps at 8 and 512 max variable for bitrate on the substreams.
768x432 images