Lean settings for v5

macster2075

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am new to blue iris and need some help!
I am running it on a AMD FX-6300 (6 core) and 8 gigs RAM. It runs ok, but I need to get the best settings to make it run as smooth as possible.
I am not interested in recording or notifications of any kind...or even motion...in other words, no bells and whistles!

What are the best settings to set Blue Iris to have the best quality and performance?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I suspect you are not using the substreams or maybe not enough optimizations.

Do EVERY optimization in the wiki and you will see a major drop in the CPU. Substreams are a must, especially once you get over 4MP cameras.

A member here runs 50 cameras on a 4th generation CPU at 30%.

Many of us here have more cameras than that and run without an issue.

And by EVERY, I mean EVERY. Too many people come here complaining of high CPU usage and claim they have done every optimization in the wiki and once they post screenshots, we see they are not using the substreams and that is probably one of the biggest CPU savers. Do not skip one because you think it isn't important or won't make that big of a deal. Even dropping frame rate a few FPS can make a big difference. No reason to run more than 15FPS, and many us have cams running at 10 to 12 FPS.

If you do not understand what something does in BI, then ask. Too many people also change a setting not realizing what it does and actually makes their performance worse.

Please post a screenshot of your BI camera status page that shows FPS, MP/s, etc.

Also turn off Windows updates, set up in the BIOS to have the computer restart if power goes off, and run BI as a service and you will have no issues.

macster2075

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I suspect you are not using the substreams or maybe not enough optimizations.

Do EVERY optimization in the wiki and you will see a major drop in the CPU. Substreams are a must, especially once you get over 4MP cameras.

A member here runs 50 cameras on a 4th generation CPU at 30%.

Many of us here have more cameras than that and run without an issue.

And by EVERY, I mean EVERY. Too many people come here complaining of high CPU usage and claim they have done every optimization in the wiki and once they post screenshots, we see they are not using the substreams and that is probably one of the biggest CPU savers. Do not skip one because you think it isn't important or won't make that big of a deal. Even dropping frame rate a few FPS can make a big difference. No reason to run more than 15FPS, and many us have cams running at 10 to 12 FPS.

If you do not understand what something does in BI, then ask. Too many people also change a setting not realizing what it does and actually makes their performance worse.

Please post a screenshot of your BI camera status page that shows FPS, MP/s, etc.

Also turn off Windows updates, set up in the BIOS to have the computer restart if power goes off, and run BI as a service and you will have no issues.

Thanks for the reply. I have seen those settings, but If I understand it.. most of those are for intel cpu's, no?
Specially the Hardware acceleration. I don't really know much about security camera software as I am very, very new to this stuff.

Also, I believe my Wyze Cams do not have substream and the fps cannot be manually control. Blue Iris will take whatever FPS the camera will tell it.. there is no way to adjust that as Wyze does not allow it.
I have uploaded a pic, but not sure if that's what you asked for.

Attachments

macster2075

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I forgot to include that I have a video card.. .Nvidia gtx 950 I believe.

macster2075

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Been reading the wiki settings, but most of those don't really apply to me. For instance

disc to disc recording - not interested in recording anything using blue iris
Hardware acceleration - don't have an intel cpu
Substream - No option for it on Wyze cams
FPS to 15 - Wyze does not allow to change this
Run as Service - I don't want to do this as the same monitor I view my cameras are connected to to the bl machine so I need to use the GUI...no?
Live preview frame rate - I prefer to see full fps when live viewing.
Encoder preset - isn't this for when recording? - not interested in recording.

macster2075

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, I've got to ask, if not interested in recording, what is the point?
A couple of reasons...
My cameras record to internal SD cards and also, I would like to upgrade my pc and get another hard drive before I start using that feature.

macster2075

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I notice if I disable the Shield, the cpu goes does down to the 30s... is the Shield an absolute necessity?

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I notice if I disable the Shield, the cpu goes does down to the 30s... is the Shield an absolute necessity?
For your current use, no, and is what you should set if you are not recording or monitoring events/alerts. Check page139 of the help manual or search shield in the help manual, accessed from the BI app. I would have pasted the section but it's up on a separate computer.

macster2075

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For your current use, no, and is what you should set if you are not recording or monitoring events/alerts. Check page139 of the help manual or search shield in the help manual, accessed from the BI app. I would have pasted the section but it's up on a separate computer.
hmm.. I see if disable the Shield, then it disables the web server as well. I need to be able to view the cameras on another room using the browser. Is there a way to disable the Shield but still have access to the server only via LAN?

macster2075

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What manual? - Didn't know there was a manual. Where do I get it..Been searching online but can't find it.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
When BI is run as a service it loads the program to run in the background on boot. A double click on the BI icon will open the console when needed and exiting the console will not shut down BI. On the other hand, since you're not recording alerts or 24/7, having BI running as a service isn't necessary. From what you're saying about your cameras Wyze isn't a very wise choice though. You can use the NVidia card for hardware acceleration assuming that the frame and iframe rates all remain high enough to work with. Your processor has no bearing on HA when using an NVidia card. The NVidia card also allows running DeepStack AI in a much more efficient manner.

Last edited:

macster2075

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Top left corner of BI screen, click on the question mark icon, then follow the bouncing ball.
Found it.. been doing lots of reading on the web server. Apparently the web server cannot run without the Shield.. or at least as far as I can see on the manual.
Also, regarding groups... very confusing!

Is there a way to only have a certain amount of cameras in a group?
I have been reading and playing with the editing layout, but I cannot figure this thing out. I can't seem to delete specific cameras from a group.. if I do delete them, they get deleted from all groups.
I wanna be able to only view specific cameras when accessing the web server.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Found it.. been doing lots of reading on the web server. Apparently the web server cannot run without the Shield.. or at least as far as I can see on the manual.
that is not correct.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Can you please elaborate? - if it's not correct... please correct me by telling how this is possible.. really appreciate it.
How what is possible? I am simply stating that the statement you made is incorrect. The shield controls various settings that YOU select, in the blue iris settings "other" tab. I can disable the webserver IF you tell it to.

macster2075

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nice... thanks.. I thought disabling the Shield was going to help lower the cpu, but I see what's really increase cpu is the web server :
Any way of reducing the web server potency? - like only allowing LAN and disabling outside connection?

I am not interested in connecting remotely from outside my LAN, so if there's a way to only disable that portion do you think it may help lower cpu?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Nice... thanks.. I thought disabling the Shield was going to help lower the cpu, but I see what's really increase cpu is the web server :
Any way of reducing the web server potency? - like only allowing LAN and disabling outside connection?

I am not interested in connecting remotely from outside my LAN, so if there's a way to only disable that portion do you think it may help lower cpu?
That wont help you. Enabling the webserver will not increase cpu unless you are actually connected to the webserver. You either have a bunch of wyze cams or something else running on the machine. Otherwise though you have a weak processor it can handle a few of those cameras just fine.
You need to set direct to disc recording even if you dont intend to actually record.

macster2075

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That wont help you. Enabling the webserver will not increase cpu unless you are actually connected to the webserver. You either have a bunch of wyze cams or something else running on the machine. Otherwise though you have a weak processor it can handle a few of those cameras just fine.
You need to set direct to disc recording even if you dont intend to actually record.
oh ok.. I will try that.. hadn't done it because I thought it was for those who were going to record... thanks.