Lag in cameras

Reaction score
New to this forum and not that tech savvy so bare with me. I have Nest cameras set up in my business that I watch on an Android TV (so I can see the front of the store while I’m in the back). However, there is almost a 10 second lag in these cameras so by the time I see somebody walk into my store, they’ve already been in there for 10-15 seconds which does not help me. I understand this is a problem with most Nest cameras. Any camera recommendations that I can purchase to avoid latency and that I can watch in an android TV for monitoring in actual real time ( sub 1 second latency)?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Any wifi camera is going to have the most lag usually.

IP cameras are going to have a lag as well, some more than others but depends on how the network is setup.

You need analog cameras if you need more real time. Backup cameras on cars are analog for that reason. Doesn't do any good to be a second behind and run a kid over.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't have any Nest cameras but from what I understand, generally they stream to the cloud (upload) and then you download your "live" video from there....that's likely your biggest contributor to latency (delay); and as stated by others above, add Wi-Fi to the mix and you've got even more latency.

I once installed a doorbell cam for a client that would NOT provide an RTSP stream to be viewed locally, it was locked into their cloud. He had decent download for rural area (10Mbps down) but his upload was the bottleneck (< 2.0 Mbps up), and his delay was 6 to 8 seconds.

FWIW, I have streamed via RTSP to VLC on my PC for hours with no hiccups. I have done the same with the same model camera to Tinycam on a Sony (Android) TV. In both instances the live video latency is tolerable, IMO...it's less than a second. This is over my LAN, no cloud involved. The cam was an Amcrest IP2M-841 , a rebranded Dahua.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.