Just a quick question about varifocals and auto-focus....

Reaction score
I now have my 4 x 5231R-ZE varifocals at 6' level instead of their old locations of 20' above ground, maxed out for zoom to help with facial ID.
Of course, when relocated to their new homes, one of my final steps was to auto-focus out to 50'. What happens, if a perp comes around and comes within 10' of the camera? I never noticed before but does the auto-focus ACTUALLY auto-focus's on an object as it gets closer?

Reaction score
I never noticed before but does the auto-focus ACTUALLY auto-focus's on an object as it gets closer?
Wow, you really had to ask that question, didn't you! Bummer. Now you got me worried.

So I do not know the official answer, but I do know how both of my 5241 Z12E respond. Saturday night I had many kids run right in front of these cams that are focused for 100 and 80 foot targets. Some lingered at about 8 feet away blocking the cams and neither one refocused.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I can tell you my 5231 stays in focus as does a 5442 so I don't think you have to worry. "Focus" seem to cover the entire view range. Worst case, do a walk test.