Joystick recommendations

nelson maldonado

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a few PCT cameras installed would like to use a joystick but don't know which one to use for them with blue iris I have one axis camera and 2 amcrest units I am thinking they should work with USB or Network appreciate the help thanks

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have the below one from Amazon. The problem is that blue Iris has to map the joystick movements to keyboard presses. So it’s not as natural movement as a traditional joystick is.

What I haven’t looked into are ones that control the cameras directly over the network. I believe they exist but are pricy. There are some threads on here discussing joysticks.

Extreme 3D Pro Joystick for Windows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You might find this interesting, from the Blue Iris Software forum ==>> Joystick for PTZ cameras

"Post by Schnoidz » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:06 am
I have several different Amcrest PTZ cameras and thought a joystick would be easier to use than clicking arrows with a mouse. I use BI on a dedicated Windows computer. I bought the "Mayflash F300 Arcade Fight Stick" and it works well for pan and tilt, but no zoom.
The "Mayflash" doesn't have a "Z" control and I thought that might be the problem. So I bought a Logitech "Extreme 3D Pro" which has X, Y and Z controls plus a Slider. It also has many buttons and a hat switch. Still I can't get zoom to work from the joystick.
Is anyone here using a joystick for PTZ cameras? Have you gotten zoom to work with it?
UPDATE: I tried out an Xbox controller and it sort of works. The 2 fingertip "fire" buttons do zoom in and out. The left joystick pans and tilts. On mine, when moving to the right it decides on it's own to travel to the extreme right and then stop. Mine isn't new and it's a wireless model that I did connect with a USB cable. Someone else reported to me that their cheap 1 year old generic Xbox controller (wired) does work and doesn't travel on it's own.
I'll keep experimenting with this. I really like the feel of PTZ with a joystick."