IVMS-4200 Server and multiple desktop clients (Windows/OSX)

CTF

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I just started to read here a few weeks ago, and decided to purchase some HikVision cameras based on the feedback read here.
I purchased 5 2332 and a Gigabyte Brix i5.
I installed the cameras and everything went well.

I also installed IVMS 2.3.13 Build 20150416 on the Brix, with the server, streaming server and client all on that computer under Windows 7 Pro.
I did all the configuration and everything works as expected, except my cameras are a bit too sensitive for motion and send emails every 3 seconds. :)

But my question relates to the relationship between the server hardware, the server software, and the client software.
I understand that I do not need to leave the remote client running at any time for the cameras to do their job. Once everything is properly configured, the remote client can be shut down, and the server software records everything as needed.
What I would like to know is, can I have multiple remote clients all controlling the same installation (Not at the same time, but from different clients)?
For example, I currently do everything through the Brix and remote client installed on that machine. I also would like to access everything using my MAC and the client that is available for OSX, but I want to make sure that my Mac is only a "dumb" remote client and not wanting to reconfigure everything since this has already been done...
Is this possible?

Thank you for your help and time solving all the questions here.
The amount of knowledge is great! Thank you for sharing.
CTF

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do VNC or Splashtop work across Mac/PC? I know that isn't what you are asking but it may be a workable solution...

Last edited by a moderator:

carpii

n3wb
Reaction score
Not sure how much of this is relevant to you.....

I recently got a HikVision NVR plus cams installed, aswell as being a Mac owner too

You can certainly view the cams simultaneously from Mac, Mobile and Windows clients (although this is probably due to me using an NVR).
Anyway if you've got a separate streaming server you should be able to do likewise

Whilst the clients let me configure the cams and various features, the VMS 4200 Mac client seems very flaky and not fully compatible with my NVR (even though its pretty much the only Mac software on offer, and Hikvision recommend it for my exact model of NVR).

For example setting up an area of motion detection via the Mac client, I then go to the NVR and see it has taken effect, but has also transposed all the motion detection areas so they don't actually correspond to what the client was showing.

Also whenever I try to make use of the NVR's 'Notify Surveillance Center' (required to get mobile push alerts) or any of the physical alarm outputs on the NVR, then mac client will just constantly crash within 5-30 seconds of being launched (even when there is no alarm or notifications being triggered)

If you just want to use the Mac client for watching the cams, Im sure this will be fine
For any actual config I'd really consider running the Windows client, inside a virtual machine, which is what I do now

CTF

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello Carpii and Frankred,
Thank you for the clarifications.

Indeed, watching from VNC or RDP works, but is very slow and not quite good for this purpose.

My goal is to simply be able to view the cameras from a simple interface, that does not force me to re-setup everything.
I have setup everything from the server itself, using the Windows client installed on that same machine, and this has worked well.
I want to make sure that I do not "disturb" this setup when connecting from the MAC client, but only be able to view and playback as needed.
I am not sure that I can do this when everything is setup and connect from the MAC client.
(I would have to re-setup the server software on the MAC, and I am not sure that this would not conflict with the Windows settings)

Another thing, is that while I can connect to the client running on the server via the HTTP interface, it tells me that the plugin needs to be loaded, but does not click or download anything... I see that this seems to be a common issue.
This is with Chrome, or Firefox.

carpii

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello Carpii and Frankred,
My goal is to simply be able to view the cameras from a simple interface, that does not force me to re-setup everything.

I want to make sure that I do not "disturb" this setup when connecting from the MAC client, but only be able to view and playback as needed.
The windows and mac clients I use, just connect to my NVR as 'admin'
Its possible to set up a restricted user on my NVR which only allows viewing of cams, and then change the Windows and mac clients to use that login.

Quite how this translates into your streaming server setup, I'm not sure, but that would be the way to go if your server supports different logins.
Failing that, the Mac client makes it fairly obvious when you are changing something, and if you just stick to the 'Playback' and 'Live' tabs, there isnt anything to change.

Another thing, is that while I can connect to the client running on the server via the HTTP interface, it tells me that the plugin needs to be loaded, but does not click or download anything... I see that this seems to be a common issue.
This is with Chrome, or Firefox.
The Hikvision plugin is just broken on Chrome and doesn't look likely to be fixed. Not sure about Firefox
You can still use it, but only in Safari.

There's a nice app called Fluid, which lets you type in a url, and it will build a standalone web browser as if its an app.
This seems to work nice for me, I guess its using Safari under the hood...

http://fluidapp.com/

CTF

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

Regarding Chrome, they disabled the NPAPI extension.
There is a way to enable this by enabling that flag back in Chrome.

I will check out Fluidapp.
Thank you.

Dreamboat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
CTF, I think the best solution for you would be iVMS-4200 PCNVR where this software turns your PC to act as a hardware NVR. The main advantage is: when you register PCNVR on a remote client - you get instantly access to all the registered IP cams, settings and recordings. Actually there's no difference if you add a hardware NVR. Unfortunately Hikvision dropped develepent of that software, and in case of using IP cams with the latest firmwares, you will have problems with motion detection and some other issues.
While using a standard iVMS4200 software plus integrated Storage server - when register the system in a remote client, you have to repeat all the configuration steps, including adding all the IP cameras (plus of course port forwarding every single camera if needed). The only setup you miss will be setting the record schedule.

CTF

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for clarifying this for me.
I did actually look at the PCNVR solution before I installed the separate client/server/streaming server package. The PCNVR seemed a lot less polished, which is why I went the other route.

What you are saying about repeating the entire config seems not so bad, since this is a one time deal. How do you deal with the storage server part however?
I do not want to "re-format" that drive since it is already configured and running with the client that I installed on the same machine as the server.
Can I just add that server to my devices, without actually going through the format option, and it will pickup that storage as a read only device of sorts?

Not having the storage schedule would certainly ensure that nothing gets written from the OSX client, great suggestion!

Thank you.

carpii

n3wb
Reaction score
Type: chrome://flags/#enable-npapi into the address bar inGoogle Chrome

Enable NPAPI Mac, Windows
Enables the use of NPAPI plugins. #enable-npapi
Does this work for you?

Even after re-enabling NPAPI and restarting Chrome, the Mac plugin still cannot load.

When I look at chrome://plugins I see the NPAPI flag has taken effect (its now listing more plugins than it was)
but it doesn't list any plugin which appears to be the one the NVR is looking for

Dreamboat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What you are saying about repeating the entire config seems not so bad, since this is a one time deal. How do you deal with the storage server part however?
I do not want to "re-format" that drive since it is already configured and running with the client that I installed on the same machine as the server.
Can I just add that server to my devices, without actually going through the format option, and it will pickup that storage as a read only device of sorts?
Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the OSX version of iVMS4200. I can explain how it goes when using Windows iVMS4200. Here on the remote client you have to add your remote iVMS4200 storage server (usually on port 8000).
There is a small "trick" here. After the Storage server is added, you have to go to its Remote config->Storage->General and simply press the button "Apply" without changing anything. By doing this the remote client acknowledges there's Storage server in the system, and then after you search records for a given camera, it searches on the remote Storage server first (there's an option "Prioritize Playback of Record files on Storage server" in the system config settings).

CTF

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you, I will have to play with that and see how it works.

domodial

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I just started to read here a few weeks ago, and decided to purchase some HikVision cameras based on the feedback read here.
I purchased 5 2332 and a Gigabyte Brix i5.
I installed the cameras and everything went well.

I also installed IVMS 2.3.13 Build 20150416 on the Brix, with the server, streaming server and client all on that computer under Windows 7 Pro.
I did all the configuration and everything works as expected, except my cameras are a bit too sensitive for motion and send emails every 3 seconds. :)

But my question relates to the relationship between the server hardware, the server software, and the client software.
I understand that I do not need to leave the remote client running at any time for the cameras to do their job. Once everything is properly configured, the remote client can be shut down, and the server software records everything as needed.
What I would like to know is, can I have multiple remote clients all controlling the same installation (Not at the same time, but from different clients)?
For example, I currently do everything through the Brix and remote client installed on that machine. I also would like to access everything using my MAC and the client that is available for OSX, but I want to make sure that my Mac is only a "dumb" remote client and not wanting to reconfigure everything since this has already been done...
Is this possible?

Thank you for your help and time solving all the questions here.
The amount of knowledge is great! Thank you for sharing.
CTF
Hello, I have the exact same question as the author of the topic. Is it possible to connect the server with clients on different PCs than the one hosting the client / server. I do not understand the philosophy of Hikvision on the issue, from one version to another (4200) it is different. IP server disappears on v.3.6.0.6 that I am using. It's pretty impressive not being able to connect a server with a client!