Issues with Milestone XProtect Essential+ and Dahua Cameras

Reaction score
I just downloaded the free Milestone XProtect Essential+ package, deployed to a Server 2019 VM to compare against my existing (paid) Xeoma setup. I've run into an issue where, when I try to add my twin Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE cameras to the Recording Server, Milestone fails to connect. I have ONVIF authentication enabled on the cameras and haven't had any issues connecting to them with Xeoma, but am unable to get Milestone to connect when ONVIF auth is enabled. Checking the camera logs, it appears that Milestone is trying to connect to the management layer instead of the ONVIF layer. The logs are full of entries like:

Time:2020-10-28 17:08:51
Username:milestone
Type:Login
Content:
Address: 192.168.9.7
Type: CGI

I can see authentication attempts coming in from my Xeoma server recorded as:

Time:2020-10-28 10:19:41
Username:xeoma
Content:
Address: 192.168.9.6
Type: Onvif

Milestone connects just fine with authentication turned off. Both cameras are running the latest firmware, V2.800.0000016.0.R, Build Date: 2020-06-05.

Is there a specific port (other than port 80, 554, or 37777) which is used for ONVIF authentication? I cannot find anything in Dahua's docs about this.

Thanks!

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just downloaded the free Milestone XProtect Essential+ package, deployed to a Server 2019 VM to compare against my existing (paid) Xeoma setup. I've run into an issue where, when I try to add my twin Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE cameras to the Recording Server, Milestone fails to connect. I have ONVIF authentication enabled on the cameras and haven't had any issues connecting to them with Xeoma, but am unable to get Milestone to connect when ONVIF auth is enabled. Checking the camera logs, it appears that Milestone is trying to connect to the management layer instead of the ONVIF layer. The logs are full of entries like:

Content:

Content:

Milestone connects just fine with authentication turned off. Both cameras are running the latest firmware, V2.800.0000016.0.R, Build Date: 2020-06-05.

Is there a specific port (other than port 80, 554, or 37777) which is used for ONVIF authentication? I cannot find anything in Dahua's docs about this.

Thanks!

I'm using the same camera (IPC-HDW5231R-ZE) with slightly older firmware- V2.800.0000015.0.R, Build Date: 2020-04-30, and another Dahua purchased from Andy nearly 2 years ago. Both have been working great on my Milestone system.

You shouldn't need to enable any onvif settings on the camera. Milestone should detect it automatically when provided with the camera's IP address, the admin user account and password. Try disabling the windows firewall temporarily and see if the camera is detected. Camera is detected as an 'onvif conformant device' in my setup.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm using the same camera (IPC-HDW5231R-ZE) with slightly older firmware- V2.800.0000015.0.R, Build Date: 2020-04-30, and another Dahua purchased from Andy nearly 2 years ago. Both have been working great on my Milestone system.

You shouldn't need to enable any onvif settings on the camera. Milestone should detect it automatically when provided with the camera's IP address, the admin user account and password. Try disabling the windows firewall temporarily and see if the camera is detected. Camera is detected as an 'onvif conformant device' in my setup.
Question: did you enable ONVIF authentication in your setup, or did you just use the camera's out-of-the-box configuration (which has ONVIF authentication disabled)?

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I did not enable an onvif account out of the box, it just worked. When I look at the onvif user tab however under 'Setting>Account', I see an admin user account listed there. Not sure if that's a copy of the same local user account, I didn't add it.

Flavacali

n3wb
Reaction score
I did not enable an onvif account out of the box, it just worked. When I look at the onvif user tab however under 'Setting>Account', I see an admin user account listed there. Not sure if that's a copy of the same local user account, I didn't add it.
You need to make a onif user name and password inside of your camera's settings, I set mine onif same username and password I use to login to my camera's settings.

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You need to make a onif user name and password inside of your camera's settings, I set mine onif same username and password I use to login to my camera's settings.

I've set up multiple Milestone systems with multiple different cameras and have never needed to do that. Milestone will use an appropriate driver specific to a camera if possible.

mateck

n3wb
Reaction score
Did you download the latest device pack (and also the legacy device pack)?

Reaction score
firstly, dont forget time synchronization and

Try downloading the Onvif Device Manager and see if this connects well.

if so, push it manually to the Onvif driver and it should run.

amtiskaw

n3wb
Reaction score

Content:

Content:

Thanks!
I just had this same exact issue. Turns out it didn't like special characters in the admin password. What I had to do was:

1. Change the ONVIF password to not have special characters
  2. Turn off ONVIF auth on the camera
  3. Add the camera.
  4. After detection, Milestone said configuration was required. I entered the camera's user and password.
  5. Turn ONVIF auth back on on the camera,
Not sure why all this was required, but that's how I got Milestone to play nicely with our Dahua cameras.

Ryan_C

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Did you add the cameras as an onvif conformant device or did milestone search for them and add them by brand name?

If milestone searched for them by brand name , milestone is not attempting to use the onvif login, it’s using the webpage interface login for the camera.

amtiskaw

n3wb
Reaction score
I only ticked the ONVIF box when searching this time. Also, once installed, Milestone lists the driver as ONVIF Conformant Device.

it's weird how some people seem to have no issues. I've checked everything I can think of. The firewall's not blocking the other ports, etc ¯\(ツ)

Ryan_C

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would download Onvif Device Manager and try and log in through there to confirm connectivity. I think onvif on that cam is using port 80.

Your other option is to use the universal driver