Issues with DS-2CD2347G1-LU

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The past couple of days my DS-2CD2347G1-LU front door camera has started going off line repeatedly. I have to basically unplug the camera from the POE port in my basement, plug it back in, then hope it comes back online. Sometimes it does, other times it takes numerous tries. When it does, it will eventually go offline again.

Any way to troubleshoot this or have folks had a similar issue? The camera is in a covered area, so not exposed to the elements other than being outside (so right now... it's cold).

Going to try a firmware update in the meantime.

Haven't had any issues with it since I purchased from @EMPIRETECANDY a few years ago.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just updated the firmware, worked for a minute or two, then went off line again.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It isn't a firmware issue.

In all likelihood it is corrosion on the connection (even if you don't see it); your POE power supply is going out; or you are going thru the router and stuff has been added and it can't keep up.

Did you use dielectric grease on the outside connection?

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Shoot...no I think I used some sort of waterproof black stretchy tape (can't recall the technical term for it) that I recall someone recommending on this forum way back when I originally installed my cameras in 2015. If it is this, presumably redoing the connection then adding the grease should fix it?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks, tips on using it?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Shoot...no I think I used some sort of waterproof black stretchy tape (can't recall the technical term for it) that I recall someone recommending on this forum way back when I originally installed my cameras in 2015. If it is this, presumably redoing the connection then adding the grease should fix it?
It may or may not be the connection. Coax seal, like you used is great and you dont need any additional dielectric grease unless you live at the ocean. It may not be corrosion at all just expansion of a border line connection. It may also be a bad camera, or a bad connection inside at the switch or a bad switch. That is why you need to test it first to confirm.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
^Yep I had that once as well. Over the years of shrink/swell due to temp changes it must have somehow moved ever so slightly and simply cutting off the tape and plugging in and plugging back in and it started working again. Then I taped it back up and has been fine since.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It may or may not be the connection. Coax seal, like you used is great and you dont need any additional dielectric grease unless you live at the ocean. It may not be corrosion at all just expansion of a border line connection. It may also be a bad camera, or a bad connection inside at the switch or a bad switch. That is why you need to test it first to confirm.
Yeah, not sure why I didn't think of taking it down! Just brought it inside and hooked it up...so far so good, will leave it for an hour or so but signs seem to be pointing to the connection.

Was perfectly clean when I took it off though, it's also inside a junction box so pretty darn protected from the elements, outside of I guess condensation that can happen given the extreme heat and cold here in the Toronto area.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, not sure why I didn't think of taking it down! Just brought it inside and hooked it up...so far so good, will leave it for an hour or so but signs seem to be pointing to the connection.

Was perfectly clean when I took it off though, it's also inside a junction box so pretty darn protected from the elements, outside of I guess condensation that can happen given the extreme heat and cold here in the Toronto area.
If you don't see any corrosion my bet is a borderline crimp on one of the ends....

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Glad to hear it isn't the camera!

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hmmm...maybe not...camera just went off line again....and then came back online a minute or so later, and did it twice in the last few minutes. Which is slightly better as before it would go offline and never come back online.

So it is maybe corrosion on the connector side of the camera, or I guess the camera itself.

So will buy some of this...https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000AL2RI2/ref=ewc_pr_img_2?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1

Do I just brush it on both the male and female ends?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh shoot :(

Just to confirm it isn't the power, try providing power from another source or unplug the other cameras and plug into a known good port.

It is probably the corrosion, but still potential that the POE is giving out and couldn't sustain the power thru the whole run which is why it would go out and stay out yet go off and online with the short cable inside.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Oh shoot :(

Just to confirm it isn't the power, try providing power from another source or unplug the other cameras and plug into a known good port.

It is probably the corrosion, but still potential that the POE is giving out and couldn't sustain the power thru the whole run which is why it would go out and stay out yet go off and online with the short cable inside.
Yeah will give it a go with a powered POE adapter as well just to check. I'm guessing (hoping...hope is a strategy right?) some small amount of corrosion mostly because the camera is already more stable than it was before (plugged into same POE port but with different cable). It's gone offline a few times, but keeps coming back online which is better than before when I'd have to unplug and plug it back in.

Of course, as I'm typing this...it went offline again...and just came back online.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Have you tried resetting it? That's the next easy step.
Have updated the firmware, which reboots it, not sure if that works similar to a reset but also not sure why resetting would help as I haven't changed a setting on it in years!

Haven't ruled out the camera yet as it does still keep coming in and out, though it stays on much longer than it used to which would seem to imply it's either the long run and the switch (TP-Link SG1016PE) is starting to crap out on that POE port, or corrosion that is not remotely visible.

Completely forgot the password for that switch so will reset it and remind myself what the settings were for the 8 POE ports, as I'm using all 8.