Issues Accessing Hikvision Cameras Directly

esanto1

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

I currently have some hikvision cameras (DS-2CD2H85FWD-IZS) connected into a 7608NI-I2 NVR but need to move the NVR so am trying to move the cameras to my POE switch instead. I've moved one so far by giving it a static ip in the same network as the NVR LAN IP whilst still connected to the NVR and then connected it to the switch and it came up fine and I can see it in the NVR and hik-connect. Problem is, I can no longer access the camera directly. On the NVR I do have Virtual Host enabled and the remaining cameras still connected to it work fine. When the moved camera came up, the virtual host Ip changed to its new ip with a ':80' on the end but when I click that link in the nvr, it just times out and says "this site can't be reached".

Any ideas how to fix?

Thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
am trying to move the cameras to my POE switch instead.
What is the PoE switch connected to?
It will need to be connected to the same network as the NVR LAN interface.
If you've connected the PoE switch to one of the NVR PoE ports - you will only be able to connect a single camera, even if more are connected to the switch.

If I've understood your setup correctly, here's what I'd suggest :
Connect the PoE switch to the home network, maybe an ethernet port on your router if you don't have another switch on the home network.
Connect the NVR LAN port to the PoE switch uplink port or just a spare port if it doesn't have one (what spec are the switch ports?)
Don't have the NVR connected to the router, as all the camera traffic will pass through the router, which can degrade it's routing performance.
Connect all the cameras to the switch PoE ports.
With SADP, change each camera IP address to have static addresses on the house network, outside the DHCP range of your router.
On the NVR, go through each PoE channel in turn, use 'Modify' to change them from Plug&Play to Manual and specifying the new IP address of the camera that is associated with the specific channel. Update the camera password, click OK.
All should connect OK.

esanto1

n3wb
Reaction score
Not sure what was happening with the virtual host not working but I did try this all again and got it working.... without using sadp. My network is setup ok. The poe switch is off my router and has vlan configured for the cameras and NVR.

I connected the camera back to the NVR and tried right from the beginning.

1. I got it working by going configuring all my poe switch ports first to be on the right vlan and enabled poe+.
2. On the NVR I went into the virtual host for each camera one at a time and ticked the dhcp option in the network settings. When prompted to reboot the camera, I select ok.
3. then disconnect the camera from the NVR and connect it to the poe switch. It continues to boot and picks up an IP address. I set reserved ip’s on my network so I know what they pick up in the vlan.
4. Then I go back into the NVR and select modify on each camera and change from plug and play to manual and specify the ip address I configured for the camera. All works good.

I did try sadp as suggested but it wasn’t that easy on a Mac and I didn’t want to tinker with settings to get it working.

thanks for the suggestion as it’s what triggered me to think of trying this way.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
You got there! Good.

On the NVR I went into the virtual host for each camera one at a time and ticked the dhcp option in the network settings. When prompted to reboot the camera, I select ok.
It sounds like you were quick enough disconnecting that the NVR didn't have time to find and grab the camera again to re-configure it under Plug&Play.

Then I go back into the NVR and select modify on each camera and change from plug and play to manual and specify the ip address I configured for the camera. All works good.
Yes, spot on.

The poe switch is off my router and has vlan configured for the cameras and NVR.
And you're avoiding sending all the camera traffic through the router ethernet ports to the NVR.
That's sensible and avoids potential performance issues.