Is this IR reflection?? 5231 varifocal

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Disclaimer, I plan on using this 5231 varifocal at full zoom. As you can see, under zero zoom, there is considerable IR blasting the soffit above. At full zoom, the camera lens is further towards the glass making the glare pretty bad. I think if I tilt the camera down a bit I may reduce the glare back on the camera, what do you think? I will adjust tomorrow but thought I'd see what the community has to say about it just in case this isn't the fix. Thanks

NO ZOOM.jpg FULL ZOOM.jpg

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This a shot as a car was backing out of driveway, weird reflections on the lens. Anyway to correct?
GLARE.jpg

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yes that's IR reflection. try rotating 180 degrees to get the ir leds farther from the soffit.

You could turn off the built in IR and use an external IR illuminator or relocate the camera. This is the sort of thing you discover if you test a location before drilling holes and permanently installing.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Options.
Tilt it down.
Mount cam on junction box to lower it away from the soffit.
Move camera closer to the fascia.

Weird reflections is lens flare. Even movies and TV shows shot at night with very expensive lenses have the same issue's, you see it all the time.
Lens flare - Wikipedia

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Lens flare, ok. I'm going to move it closer to the fascia to start with, of course I'm going to check it before I drill more holes