Is there alternative mobile android app for blue iris?

fatjoez

n3wb
Reaction score
is any alternative android mobile app to connect to blue iris server with more modern interface/functionality?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many find the native UI3 interface to be more than sufficient. YMMV.

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
With my limited experience with NVR’s, I think that the Android mobile app is pretty decent. If you want more functionality on your mobile, you can access via Safari/Chrome. Are you saying there is a NVR out there that rocks it better from an app perspective? I can tell you that LaView is probably decades behind BI in functionality

fatjoez

n3wb
Reaction score
We currently have dahua NVR in another building and their app is quite powerful.
I haven't fully test the Blue iris native app yet as need to setup the server + purchase the app so my comment are based on screenshot & user reviews etc.
Was just wondering if the blue iris server can be connected to from other apps mainly.

Is "UI3" the mobile android app?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
You need to define “quite powerful” I’ve used other mobile apps and haven’t really found the BI mobile app lacking. Yes you have to get used to it’s layout and operation but for me it does what it’s designed for.

Kameraad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Imo the live grid view on the dahua app is better than the BI app. But on other features like watching the alerts for example, BI is miles ahead. I find myself switching between apps for the different features, would be nice if the BI app has the same live grid so i can ditch gdmss plus

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For BI I do the same thing, I use the app for quick reviews. But for more introspective searching, I use browser access. I do not use VPN or any type of tunneling.

Jagradang

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I find GDMSS plus much more user friendly than the BI app. I generally configure both up and switch between the 2. I configured the same setup for a few friends and family and they all also preferred the gdmss plus app. If you have your firewall rules right you can just set both up and switch between the 2.

The suggestion about using UI3 on mobile is just a pain! you want quick access, mobile push alerts etc not open a browser, open a new tab, find/type your bi url/ (or favorites > BI url), wait for it to (auto) log in and load up etc... and then it looks AWFUL on a small mobile screen I want quick access - 1 button push and i'm in. i.e. Gdmss - click the app icon and its straight into live view with my configured favourite - done.

BI mobile app really does need a lot of work to make it nicer, consider its £10 and gdmss is free (and better in my opinion).

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I find GDMSS plus much more user friendly than the BI app. I generally configure both up and switch between the 2. I configured the same setup for a few friends and family and they all also preferred the gdmss plus app. If you have your firewall rules right you can just set both up and switch between the 2.

The suggestion about using UI3 on mobile is just a pain! you want quick access, mobile push alerts etc not open a browser, open a new tab, find/type your bi url/ (or favorites > BI url), wait for it to (auto) log in and load up etc... and then it looks AWFUL on a small mobile screen I want quick access - 1 button push and i'm in. i.e. Gdmss - click the app icon and its straight into live view with my configured favourite - done.

BI mobile app really does need a lot of work to make it nicer, consider its £10 and gdmss is free (and better in my opinion).
All you have to do is save the shortcut to your home screen on the phone, and one click gets you in with UI3.
If you read the directions for Ui3, then you'd know it can be setup to look most anyway you need, on each device.
Hope your not forwarding ports, big security risk.
There is nothing wrong with the BI app, if you have BI setup correctly.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
^ +1 on this.

UI3 is a shortcut on my screen and gets me my cameras faster than Gdmss ever did.

I have alerts, and much more functionality that Gdmss ever did.

I have the BI app as well and works better than Gdmss ever did.

Both of them are one tap and in.

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
^ +1 as well. If you know how to setup up shortcuts on your phone then it is just as fast or faster than opening the BI app. Works well on my android and my wifes IOS. She has no complaints and if an objection were to arise around quick access concerns, she would do so. Trust me.