IR range on LPR camera

gnikoli

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time getting consistent plate captures. I'm on an outside corner, and if I try to set capture area too close, I get extreme angles. If I set range farther out (150'), angle is good, but seems as though built-in IR illuminator is not getting the job done even when set to manual and 100. Specs say IR range to 330'. Does that mean I should be able to set capture area as far as way 330' for nighttime plate recognition? If yes, then I guess other settings need to be tweaked as I only need 150'. Just need to know if I should be able to read plates out to 150' at night. If yes, then I will keep trying to get settings right. If no, then I need to take a different approach.
DS-2CD7A26G0/P-IZHS8 Hikvision LPR 8-32 mm.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Two things.

First is that the Spec ratings are if you slow the shutter down to like 1/3 second. Real world has shown you cut it at least in half if not more if you are adjusting shutter speed to be faster to actually get something that is not a blur.

Second is a 32mm camera will struggle at 150 feet. Most here wouldn't go much past 80 feet with a 32mm focal length.

If you have plates the size of the car bumper, then you might be able to sneak it thru with additional IR blasters.

At 150 feet you probably need one that is in the 55-60mm range.

Here is a representative sample of plates I get at night of vehicles traveling about 45MPH at 175 feet from my Z12E (64mm) that is on the 2nd story soffit, My angle is about 40 degrees vertical, 50 degrees horizontal. Camera is 35 feet above street at this location.

1648595586598.png

gnikoli

n3wb
Reaction score
Two things.

First is that the Spec ratings are if you slow the shutter down to like 1/3 second. Real world has shown you cut it at least in half if not more if you are adjusting shutter speed to be faster to actually get something that is not a blur.

Second is a 32mm camera will struggle at 150 feet. Most here wouldn't go much past 80 feet with a 32mm focal length.

If you have plates the size of the car bumper, then you might be able to sneak it thru with additional IR blasters.

At 150 feet you probably need one that is in the 55-60mm range.

Here is a representative sample of plates I get at night of vehicles traveling about 45MPH at 175 feet from my Z12E (64mm) that is on the 2nd story soffit, My angle is about 40 degrees vertical, 50 degrees horizontal. Camera is 35 feet above street at this location.

1648595586598.png
Thank you. I was able to define an area within 100' and now I'm getting consistent nighttime plate captures. Angles are not bothering captures as much as I thought they would.