IR or night vision?

amrogers3

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you put lights in the eaves would IR or night vision color be better?

not mine but looks like something I would like to do:

1633199932634.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Only way to know for sure is to try it. Field of view dependent, along with camera placement.

While it makes it look bright, if the dispersion is not out past the house more than a few feet, then IR would probably be needed.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a high 14' arched entry, and use a 10 watt LED flood light in the peak, then my cameras are at 10 and 8 foot with full color all night long
I run an IPC-T5442T-ZE and a fixed 3,6mm from EmpireCandy.

Test it out, see how your setup will work.

amrogers3

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
While it makes it look bright, if the dispersion is not out past the house more than a few feet, then IR would probably be needed.
This is a good point.

I am trying to do the research on the front end before I buy cameras I can't return.

amrogers3

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The simple solution is to buy a varifocal and test out each location. No guess work involved that way.
Doesn't that only help with placement, not necessarily light conditions?

Is IR or night vision better for night coverage for a typical residence? I've got the usual home lighting, 2 driveway lights and porch light.

Can't seem to find a consensus. I checked the wiki also and I can't find that it is covered there.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you buy a varifocal and then purchase the same series of fixed cams, then it can help with selection on color versus b/w.

What you will find is that these cameras need A LOT of light to stay in color. Most of us have to force it in color if we want color, and then we have to run slower shutters and higher parameters than ideal.

I have 33,000 lumen coming off the front of my house but to get color 45 feet away, I need to force the camera to color. They need a ton of light for color.

You typically will get more detail and clarity in B/W with IR as the IR can be light cannons so you can run faster shutters and more ideal parameters.

Most of us will run a combo so that we can get good detail from B/W/IR but then color to be able to get the color details missing from B/W.

amrogers3

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Most of us will run a combo so that we can get good detail from B/W/IR but then color to be able to get the color details missing from B/W.
Very helpful info, thank you Wittaj. I have literally been reading for weeks and come up with more questions than answers. It's quite frustrating.

Would you recommend this one? PCI-T15F2SL, it 5MP, Acusense, darkfighter, strobe light, audible alarm, 120 WDR, 1/2.7" cmos

EDIT: disregard this, found the PCI-T15F2SL.
Looking at HIKvision. Question, would it better to get a 4MP colorVu DS-2CD2347G2-LSU/SL or something like the 5MP PCI-T15F2SL with Acusense and darkfighter with an Iluminar invisible IR light?

Trying to get people/vehicle detection, line crossing.

Strobe light and audible alarm would be great but I can't find it on any cameras with people/vehicle detection.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is a horrible MP/sensor ratio and you would certainly be in B/W with that one. It would need over double the amount of light as a 2MP that is typically on that sensor. A 2MP would blow that out of the water all night long.

It is simple LOL do not chase MP - do not buy a 4MP camera that is anything smaller than a 1/1.8" sensor. Do not buy a 2MP camera that is anything smaller than a 1/2.8" sensor. Do not buy a 4K (8MP) camera on anything smaller than a 1/1.2" sensor. Unfortunately, most 4k cams are on the same sensor as a 2MP and thus the 2MP will kick its butt all night long as the 4k will need 4 times the light than the 2MP... 4k will do very poor at night unless you have stadium quality lighting (well a lot of lighting LOL). Starlight, ColorVu, Full Color, etc. are simply marketing terms, so don't be sold on those names.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
There is a direct relationship between resolution and sensor size versus low light performance. Never chase megapixels, chase sensor size. This cannot be stressed enough. A nice day picture and a useless night picture equals a useless camera.

720P - 1/3" = .333"
2MP - 1/2.8" = .357" (think a .38 caliber bullet)
4MP - 1/1.8" = .555" (bigger than a .50 caliber bullet or ball)
8MP - 1/1.2" = .833" (bigger than a 20mm chain gun round)

amrogers3

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It is simple LOL do not chase MP - do not buy a 4MP camera that is anything smaller than a 1/1.8" sensor. Do not buy a 2MP camera that is anything smaller than a 1/2.8" sensor. Do not buy a 4K (8MP) camera on anything smaller than a 1/1.2" sensor. Unfortunately, most 4k cams are on the same sensor as a 2MP and thus the 2MP will kick its butt all night long as the 4k will need 4 times the light than the 2MP... 4k will do very poor at night unless you have stadium quality lighting (well a lot of lighting LOL). Starlight, ColorVu, Full Color, etc. are simply marketing terms, so don't be sold on those names.
Man, this is EXACTLY the info I have been looking for, seriously thank you so much! I really appreciate you taking the time to explain to a newbie. This should be stickied to the top.

Alright, if you can help with one more question. I have searched Hik from the top to the bottom. I dont see a 4MP 1/1.8" sensor with Acusense(people/vehicle detection), line crossing. Strobe light, audible alarm although the last two options are probably hard to find. The only camera I found with your specs looks discontinued and I can't verify if it has Acusense: DS-2CD2347G2-LSU/SL

Can you recommend a camera? Looking for a turret style for the eaves of the house and bullets where the eaves are too narrow for a turret, 4.5" wide.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm a Dahua fan so the 5442 series is the goto. If you're a Hik man, have a look in the Hikvision section of IPCT. I know there's 4MP-1/1.8" sensor cameras available and discussed in there.

8MP Review

5442 Reviews

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
^+1 above - all great choices.

To hit everything you want, the options are fairly limited, especially wanting it in a turret style.

If you don't chase the MP, this camera is a 2MP on a 1/2.8" sensor, which is ideal for 2MP. This one meets all your requirements except for the 4MP. It is a great camera, I have two of them.

IPC-T5241H-AS-PV

amrogers3

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thank you both, you guys are awesome! Really appreciate all the helpful info and taking the time to answer a few questions from a new guy. :thumb::thumb:

amrogers3

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
One last question, what about 5MP? Is the optimal sensor size 1/2.7"?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
For 5MP a sensor size would have to be bigger than 1/1.8" to be useful. I don't think there are any out thereat all. Again, don't chase megapixels. A 1/2.7" is fine for a 2MP camera. In a 5MP it would need more than double the amount of light that a 2MP would. Think of MP as a screen, the higher the MP the finer the screen. Less light comes through a fine screen say 400mesh versus a normal window screen at say 60 mesh.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
^^^This.

As pointed out, these are the optimal parameters, any other combination (unless the sensor is larger) is a less than optimal MP/sensor ratio and means that the camera cut corners to give a higher MP on a less than ideal sensor:

2MP = 1/2.8"
4MP = 1/1.8"
8MP = 1/1.2"

So simply doing a ratio, a 5MP would need a 1/1.65" sensor to be comparable, and we just do not see a 5MP on a sensor any larger than 1/1.8".

jlindblo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There is a direct relationship between resolution and sensor size versus low light performance. Never chase megapixels, chase sensor size. This cannot be stressed enough. A nice day picture and a useless night picture equals a useless camera.

720P - 1/3" = .333"
2MP - 1/2.8" = .357" (think a .38 caliber bullet)
4MP - 1/1.8" = .555" (bigger than a .50 caliber bullet or ball)
8MP - 1/1.2" = .833" (bigger than a 20mm chain gun round)
Ok .... dumb question. I understand 1/3", the 1/2" etc ... but how does the decimal point fit in? Like 1/2.8" .... what does the .8 refer to? I've Googled it but they show little pictures and some with rectangles with the horizontal being larger than the vertical but still ....? The 1/3 = .333 is easy ...but 1/2.8" not so much for me anyway ...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sensor sizing can confuse a lot of people LOL.

It is simple division:

1 divided by 3 equals 0.333

1 divided by 2.8 equals 0.357

Is a 1/2.8" sensor bigger than a 1/1.8" sensor? Most people say yes LOL. But it is a fraction, so the 1/1.8" sensor is the bigger of the two.

This applies to camera sensors too LOL:

1633281305043.png

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You're looking at a fraction '1" over "2.8" AKA 1 divided by 2.8 in inches. It's very arcane, to me, and, IMHO, designed to confuse the unknowing/unwitting into thinking the reverse is actually true. 1/2.8 "sounds" bigger than 1/1.8 so people tend to buy the 1/2.8" sensor thinking it is bigger when it's actually much smaller.