IPC-T5442T-ZE IPC-T5442TM-AS IPC-T5842T-ZE SMD 3.0 Smart IR Latest New Firmware From EmpireTech

GaryOkie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm currently running 2.820.15OG001.0.R, Build Date: 2021-05-25 on two 5442's. I have my main stream encoding on H.265 on both of them. I use Home Assistant and I like to have the camera stream there too. But Home Assistant doesn't support H.265 (I'm not sure if it's a limitation of Home Assistant or just the web browser). My workaround has been to enable Sub Stream 2 encoding in H.264.

It's a browser limitation. Google search first hit says: "Of the desktop browsers only Microsoft Edge (version 16 and later) and Safari (version 11 and later) support H. 265. Of mobile browsers — Safari and Chrome for iOS (version 11.0 and later). "
(It was news to me that Edge supports H265 now).

rroller's excellent HASS Dahua integration will face the same limitation with the non-supporting browsers. It also currently does not support a substream 2 option although that enhancement has been requested.

jayordon - I suggest looking at the WebRTC integration for lag-free streaming in HASS which will work in any browser. I understand it will work with H265 streams. You will still need to use one of the other HASS integrations to support camera event handling, snapshots, recording, etc.

Last edited:

Jayordon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's a browser limitation. Google search first hit says: "Of the desktop browsers only Microsoft Edge (version 16 and later) and Safari (version 11 and later) support H. 265. Of mobile browsers — Safari and Chrome for iOS (version 11.0 and later). "
(It was news to me that Edge supports H265 now).

rroller's excellent HASS Dahua integration will face the same limitation with the non-supporting browsers. It also currently does not support a substream 2 option although that enhancement has been requested.

jayordon - I suggest looking at the WebRTC integration for lag-free streaming in HASS which will work in any browser. I understand it will work with H265 streams. You will still need to use one of the other HASS integrations to support camera event handling, snapshots, recording, etc.
Thanks, I'll have to give that a try. I may just end up moving my main stream down to 264 since I use Chrome on my PC.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
So there is a December 20th, 2021 version out there and we are only in October of 2021 :lmao::rofl:
Meant to type 2020, corrected now.

This is what I was referring to from looneys post "I have reverted 4 other 5442's back to the 12/30/20 firmware, because of this." when I said I could only find 12/03/2020, I assume it must be a typo?

Last edited:

GaryOkie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@Jayordon - well, after some additional personal testing of H.265 browser support using WebRTC with Home Assistant video streaming - it's a no go with Chrome, Firefox, and latest version of Edge (v64). I had read a user comment that H265 worked via the WebRTC integration, but I did not find that to be the case with these 3 desktop browsers. Guessing he was a Safari/iOS user. The search info that Edge 16 and later supports H.265 was misleading in that only the older non-Chromium Edge had that capability but it required hardware support to work.

Apologies to all for the off-topic post. Jayordon - we can start a new post if you want to continue discussing H.265 and/or Home Assistant streaming.

Jayordon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Jayordon - well, after some additional personal testing of H.265 browser support using WebRTC with Home Assistant video streaming - it's a no go with Chrome, Firefox, and latest version of Edge (v64). I had read a user comment that H265 worked via the WebRTC integration, but I did not find that to be the case with these 3 desktop browsers. Guessing he was a Safari/iOS user. The search info that Edge 16 and later supports H.265 was misleading in that only the older non-Chromium Edge had that capability but it required hardware support to work.

Apologies to all for the off-topic post. Jayordon - we can start a new post if you want to continue discussing H.265 and/or Home Assistant streaming.
That's okay, thanks for the assistance anyways. I think that I'll just switch over to 264.

skiocink

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi guys. I bought 3 T5442-ZE form Andy and now wondering about the best firmware available.
Cameras arrived with V2.820.15OG001.0.R, Build Date: 2021-07-06 firmware and I've not understood if it's ok or not.

I will use internal settings for email alerts and Blue Iris just for recording

skiocink

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, this weekend I'll try that one but I hope in better IVS performance in future.

Can I suggest to set cameras in DHCP in the new firmwares?. My network is set on 192.168.0.X and the initialization is very boring with the default IP address

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, this weekend I'll try that one but I hope in better IVS performance in future.

Can I suggest to set cameras in DHCP in the new firmwares?. My network is set on 192.168.0.X and the initialization is very boring with the default IP address
Very easy to overcome by using the ip config tool. They won't change it.

skiocink

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, was the first thing I tried with no luck (camera connected to an unifi us8-150).
I've been able to initialize just one camera with a network failure error changing the ip. 2nd and 3rd camera I got a network error immediatly also trying to change all the cables.
Connecting same cables, injector and pc to an old netgear router on 192.168.1.X done the trick

dimammx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I hope they can bump up sensitivity on SMD, I do miss some motion events , some involve a lot of movement of car/s and people right in front of camera :( My NVR can not get IVS events from camera, but can get SMD as they are sent like motion

dimammx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No I use Surveillance Station on Synology with not latest version of software. There is an update which has IVS working but requires update to the whole Synology box.

d5775927

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sorry if the answers already appeared in this thread, will take me a day to read all the message.

I have a Dahua NVR and two Dahua cameras.
I never upgraded any of them.
What is the best practice here?
1. Factory reset cameras
2. Factory reset NVR
3. Upgrade NVR
4. Upgrade cameras

I have:
A) NVR4108/4116-8P-4KS2
B) IPC-T5442T-ZE - there are two firmware files in the first message of this thread which one to use?
C) IPC-T2431T-AS

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry if the answers already appeared in this thread, will take me a day to read all the message.

I have a Dahua NVR and two Dahua cameras.
I never upgraded any of them.
What is the best practice here?
1. Factory reset cameras
2. Factory reset NVR
3. Upgrade NVR
4. Upgrade cameras

I have:
A) NVR4108/4116-8P-4KS2
B) IPC-T5442T-ZE - there are two firmware files in the first message of this thread which one to use?
C) IPC-T2431T-AS
If the cameras and nvr are secured properly on the network: How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk
Then best practice is, unless you are trying to solve a particular problem with them, don't upgrade.
If it's not broke, don't fix it.

ANTH040

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I agree I now have inconsistent IVS after upgrading now waiting for November update.

d5775927

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If the cameras and nvr are secured properly on the network: How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk
Then best practice is, unless you are trying to solve a particular problem with them, don't upgrade.
If it's not broke, don't fix it.
Sounds like a good approach.
I did not mount them yet, so I cannot tell if something is wrong (tried to prepare before mounting, but now I will skip the updates to avoid problems).

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like a good approach.
I did not mount them yet, so I cannot tell if something is wrong (tried to prepare before mounting, but now I will skip the updates to avoid problems).
At least always "bench" test them. Hook them all up prior to permanent mounting to check functions.