IPC-T5442T-ZE IPC-T5442TM-AS IPC-T5842T-ZE SMD 3.0 Smart IR Latest New Firmware From EmpireTech

dimammx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is what i was referring to :
1 quick update. I always try the VOLT related FW's on all VOLT cameras to test across the board. In this case this FW does NOT play nice with the 5241's like the Z12. Therefore would NOT recommend installing or testing there if you are inclined. Will continue to test on the 5442's and report back but wanted to make people aware of that. Specific issue includes pulsing or flashing image and then 3DNR appearing (from analysis) to be turned off even though the GUI shows its on, tons of artifacting and noise. Factory resetting a Z12 and downgrading to 09/30 for example showed no issue BUT upgrading back to the latest and the issue returned. Reported back to Dahua
Definitely steer clear for 5241-Z12's @Parley

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
The Z12E one not really need smart IR, it's for long range watching 100ft+, the 2.7-12mm lens or fixed lens need smart IR, because it's for nearby watching.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@dimammx - remember the golden rule around here - if the camera is working and meets your needs, don't fix what isn't broke! Many times an update breaks something that worked for you and adds something you don't need.

As Andy says, this update deals with Smart IR, which is more for the images close to the camera, so it isn't much use to the Z12E

dimammx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yea i was just updating turret one and though of updating all compatible cams to same version .
But my main concern was about other people just looking at first post and updating their Z12E without knowing about issues.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Yea i was just updating turret one and though of updating all compatible cams to same version .
But my main concern was about other people just looking at first post and updating their Z12E without knowing about issues.
Yes as I mentioned before I definitely advise you don’t upgrade the Z12E to this current one due to the issue BUT that has been reported back by me so should be fixed in next version. Also as stated the SmartIR was primarily tweaked in this version for close range targets so you’re not missing much for now on the Z12 with the longer focal length. but should be taken care of soon.
HTH

GsRelayer

n3wb
Reaction score
However, despite not having the Target Filtering turned on at all (for Humans or Motor Vehicles), it never registers a hit when small animals walk into or through this space (cats, raccoons, etc). I have one Intrusion box rule defined with both Appears and Cross selected (and both Enter and Exit chosen), and the sensitivity turned up to the maximum (10): I also have two zigzag shaped Tripwire rules in this space with the Direction set to "Both", and the maximum sensitivity (10) here as well. Still absolutely no hits at all for small animals; it is as if the Target Filtering is still turned on to exclude everything but Humans, but I swear it isn't (at least in the GUI interface, perhaps it is on the back end). I also have the maximum sensitivity setup on the IVS Global Setup page, but no luck there either.

I have the same problem. Have the Target Filters off but it will not pick up small animals. With this fw, Ivs (tripwire) is working great under my conditions. Had some of the other problems also, but with I reset or a simple reboot of the camera fixed them. Now even after 2 years of reading and learning I'm still just a rookie at this and I could be doing something wrong. I do have an Amcrest camera that I changed the fw to Dahua and it has been working great with ivs and picking up small animals. I just can't get this to work on this camera (5442TM) and would love to be able to switch out the Amcrest with a 6mm 5442 to give me better results at a longer distance.
Side note: Thanks to the members of this forum for all your help over the years. I have learn so much, but still have a lot more to learn. Hopefully one day I will have knowledge be able to add something useful to this forum.

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
With this fw, Ivs (tripwire) is working great under my conditions. Had some of the other problems also, but with I reset or a simple reboot of the camera fixed them.
Care to elaborate on what you mean by "With this fw, Ivs (tripwire) is working great under my conditions."?

Are you saying that with the IVS tripwire rules you ARE now getting triggers on small animals, or those use cases are still not working yet? I still have zero luck with those, and have to fallback to the BI standard motion detection as a backup to the on-camera External/ONVIF triggers, across a few different 5442 cameras (three horizontal mount, only one rotated to "portrait/corridor" mode.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you saying that with the IVS tripwire rules you ARE now getting triggers on small animals, or those use cases are still not working yet? I still have zero luck with those, and have to fallback to the BI standard motion detection as a backup to the on-camera External/ONVIF triggers, across a few different 5442 cameras (three horizontal mount, only one rotated to "portrait/corridor" mode.
I'm using older firmware but mine do the same as you described. No triggers for small animals even with the human/vehicle filters not checked. I'd also be interested to learn if other firmware worked any better as far as that goes.

GsRelayer

n3wb
Reaction score
Care to elaborate on what you mean by "With this fw, Ivs (tripwire) is working great under my conditions."?

Are you saying that with the IVS tripwire rules you ARE now getting triggers on small animals, or those use cases are still not working yet?
No I'm not getting any small animals with this or any of the FW I have tried with IVS using just the tripwire. Right now I'm using FW from different times (like 12/20, 11/21) on different cameras most using IVS and some using just BI along with some other cameras that are older and cheaper. The IVS (tripwire only) works good with these FW and only missed people a couple of times and they all were at a far distance and lower light. I have one camera that I got in December that I installed the FW 02/22 on and set it up outside in a test location to see if I could get it to see small animals and did not have any luck. The IVS (tripwire only) worked with no misses in the short time it has been in place. I do have an Amcrest with Dahua FW on it and with IVS it picks up animals 95% of the time (just want something better). I just order two more of these cameras from Andy so I hope it is just me doing something wrong or if not the FW gets updated again. With 20 cameras now it would be nice to cut down on the false alerts and still be able to see the animals.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No I'm not getting any small animals with this or any of the FW I have tried with IVS using just the tripwire. Right now I'm using FW from different times (like 12/20, 11/21) on different cameras most using IVS and some using just BI along with some other cameras that are older and cheaper. The IVS (tripwire only) works good with these FW and only missed people a couple of times and they all were at a far distance and lower light. I have one camera that I got in December that I installed the FW 02/22 on and set it up outside in a test location to see if I could get it to see small animals and did not have any luck. The IVS (tripwire only) worked with no misses in the short time it has been in place. I do have an Amcrest with Dahua FW on it and with IVS it picks up animals 95% of the time (just want something better). I just order two more of these cameras from Andy so I hope it is just me doing something wrong or if not the FW gets updated again. With 20 cameras now it would be nice to cut down on the false alerts and still be able to see the animals.
Are you using any type of VMS?

In Blue Iris you can set it up where the camera AI triggers an ONVIF alert and pushes an alert to you, and then have BI motion detection on to be the alert clips of other things like animals, yet not push an alert to me. Or you can use Deepstack to do the same thing.

You can have both options. With Deepstack added, you could even set it up to alert you for certain animals.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I believe what he's saying is that with IVS turned on and set up properly to pass the triggers to BI, if you have "Object filter" not checked and/or "Human/Motor Vehicle" not checked, then you don't get any triggers passed from the cam. I saw the same for one of mine. The positive side of it works great in my experience - virtually no false alerts and no humans missed with IVS/human filter on. But trying to use it unfiltered to catch ANYTHING (like small animals) triggering a trip wire/intrusion box, you get nothing. It's as if it's still filtered.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I believe what he's saying is that with IVS turned on and set up properly to pass the triggers to BI, if you have "Object filter" not checked and/or "Human/Motor Vehicle" not checked, then you don't get any triggers passed from the cam. I saw the same for one of mine. The positive side of it works great in my experience - virtually no false alerts and no humans missed with IVS/human filter on. But trying to use it unfiltered to catch ANYTHING (like small animals) triggering a trip wire/intrusion box, you get nothing. It's as if it's still filtered.
Are you sure in that case the camera is triggering - like you have an SD card in the camera and can confirm it triggered for something other than a human or vehicle yet the ONVIF trigger wasn't passed on to BI?

If that is the case, then Ken probably needs to know so they can remote into someone's camera and figure out what is going on.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, played with it quite a bit at one point trying to get it to work. It's not on BI's side. It's on the cam side.

I should have said above that it still will trigger on a human set up in the same way. But small-medium sized animals don't trigger. At least under most conditions for mine. As I said, it's as if the filters (or some level of filtering) remain active if using IVS no matter whether you have the object filter/human/vehicle checked on or off.

Also should have mentioned that I can (largely at least) make the same work for my Color4K-X. One difference that I see is that there's a sensitivity setting within the IVS setup for that one which is not there for the 5442.

ETA: Just noticed when reading again... It's not that the cam is triggering and not passing the trigger. It's NOT triggering for small animals crossing a tripwire/intrusion box if using IVS without the filters.

Last edited:

GsRelayer

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you using any type of VMS?

In Blue Iris you can set it up where the camera AI triggers an ONVIF alert and pushes an alert to you, and then have BI motion detection on to be the alert clips of other things like animals, yet not push an alert to me. Or you can use Deepstack to do the same thing.

You can have both options. With Deepstack added, you could even set it up to alert you for certain animals.
I will look into Deepstack

Yes, played with it quite a bit at one point trying to get it to work. It's not on BI's side. It's on the cam side.

I should have said above that it still will trigger on a human set up in the same way. But small-medium sized animals don't trigger. At least under most conditions for mine. As I said, it's as if the filters (or some level of filtering) remain active if using IVS no matter whether you have the object filter/human/vehicle checked on or off.

Also should have mentioned that I can (largely at least) make the same work for my Color4K-X. One difference that I see is that there's a sensitivity setting within the IVS setup for that one which is not there for the 5442.

ETA: Just noticed when reading again... It's not that the cam is triggering and not passing the trigger. It's NOT triggering for small animals crossing a tripwire/intrusion box if using IVS without the filters.
Yes that is what is happing. It seems like the filters do not turn off and works great on humans. One thing I have been doing is using the camera with the IVS during the day when there is not much animal movement and turn on BI motion at night. Cut down on the alerts.

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Don't get me started on Deepstack: I love it conceptually, but in practice I'd say it's still in it's "tinkerer's" or "not quite ready for prime time" stage for now. If you run it on CPU only, it more or less works, but will timeout fairly often. For those who haven't tried this yet, a timeout effectively means a cancelled alert, so you may be left unaware of legitimate crossings that should have alerted you, even relatively "obvious" ones. Ok, so let's say we can agree that it really needs the added CUDA cores of running it with an add-on Nvidia card; but you have to be ready to swallow the added heat and overall power draw of doing so, on top of a finicky installation process (finding which drivers and software versions work well together). I live in an area where the electricity costs are extremely high, so the constant added power use alone is a non-starter for me.

I will periodically revisit running it as it matures, but right now it seems like I would be spending more time in testing/tuning and manually reviewing footage than enjoying the benefits (potentially saving time and freedom from false alerts).

Last edited:

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
i fired up deepstack on my BI setup for a while, but went back to simple motion zone detection, not using any of the camera detection features either, as I have like 4 different camera brands/models, hah hah. If I did it over, they'd all be IPCT-5442-ZE

lane777smith

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here's where I've discovered. When using DMSS on my phone to view recordings on the SD card of my IPC-T5442TM-AS-2.8mm with firmware V2.840.15OG008.0.R, Build Date: 2022-02-18 , it fails with "Connection Failed". It doesn't matter if i'm on my local LAN or away using cellular. If I roll the firmware back to V2.820.15OG001.0.R, Build Date: 2021-05-25, reviewing recordings works like a champ.