IPC-T5442T-ZE Day/night settings

NorthBendDave

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Looking to make adjustments to my shutter speeds. I noticed my ambient lighting is enough that it never goes out of color mode. does this mean it doesn't go into "night" mode?

Reaction score
to have a scheduled swap from automatic color to b&w to manual control, you have to use the Dahua sunrise/sunset utility program by BP2008.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, go to this tab and select day/night.
Select Profile Day, adjust settings to please. Click save.
Then select night profile. Repeat settings that you want for night. If you want to force it to go into night mode, select Mode dropdown, then choose B/W.
1625938238031.png

Now, go to the next tab, select Day/Night and select save.
It will change at the appropriate times.
No additional software needed.

1625938100449.png

Reaction score
Yes, go to this tab and select day/night.
Select Profile Day, adjust settings to please. Click save.
Then select night profile. Repeat settings that you want for night. If you want to force it to go into night mode, select Mode dropdown, then choose B/W.
View attachment 94841

Now, go to the next tab, select Day/Night and select save.
It will change at the appropriate times.
No additional software needed.

View attachment 94840
wait a second. BP's sunset/sunrise utility vs Dahua scheduling. What is the difference? Just the zooming in/out based on profile? I learned of scheduling & sunrise/sunset during the tire slashing so kinda rushed through things.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
wait a second. BP's sunset/sunrise utility vs Dahua scheduling. What is the difference? Just the zooming in/out based on profile? I learned of scheduling & sunrise/sunset during the tire slashing so kinda rushed through things.
No schedule's required, when setup as I outlined, it changes as it should based on available daylight or not.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
@looney2ns

on 5442 with andy firmware you cannot change it like that. if you are on "day/night" under profile management, anything is greyed out and not changeable.

it is possible to change the sensivity... you have to set it on schedule or fulltime in profile management, change the sensitivity and then back to day/night profile. it will keep the sensivity settings set earlier. you can not force the camera to use colors / bw when choosing "day/night" under management. it will be always auto ! but... auto means ... day=colors, night=bw ... its hardcoded like that in day/night...

i solved it with "low" settings... medium will fail in my normal light conditions in the night

also to mention... according to my test "low" means it will switch more likely to night profile... "high" means it will stay as long as possible in day profile...

the 5442 (and maybe other models) have a little problem with switching from day to night... sometimes they stay the whole night on day profile and giving you a may not optimal picture. who wants WDR in the night? if you force the camera via interface into night profile (if it stays on day) in a less low light condition, it will understand and stay in night mode, even if you change back to day for a short time...

so @Holbs is right... if you want a trustful day/night change on 5442 you need additional software / devices who send out http cmds OR use schedule !

its maybe a firmware bug...

nightmode.PNG

Model: 5442TM-ASE
System VersionV2.820.15OG001.0.R, Build Date: 2021-05-25

Last edited:
Reaction score
@looney2ns

on 5442 with andy firmware you cannot change it like that. if you are on "day/night" under profile management, anything is greyed out and not changeable.

it is possible to change the sensivity... you have to set it on schedule or fulltime in profile management, change the sensitivity and then back to day/night profile. it will keep the sensivity settings set earlier. you can not force the camera to use colors / bw when choosing "day/night" under management. it will be always auto ! but... auto means ... day=colors, night=bw ... its hardcoded like that in day/night...

i solved it with "low" settings... medium will fail in my normal light conditions in the night

also to mention... according to my test "low" means it will switch more likely to night profile... "high" means it will stay as long as possible in day profile...

the 5442 (and maybe other models) have a little problem with switching from day to night... sometimes they stay the whole night on day profile and giving you a may not optimal picture. who wants WDR in the night? if you force the camera via interface into night profile (if it stays on day) in a less low light condition, it will understand and stay in night mode, even if you change back to day for a short time...

so @Holbs is right... if you want a trustful day/night change on 5442 you need additional software / devices who send out http cmds OR use schedule !

its maybe a firmware bug...

View attachment 94857
you gots more than I do :) I do not even have the greyed out portions. Granted, I just have the regular 5442, not the Z. I am going to research this a bit more. Maybe the changing of gamma, contrast, etc does not take affect between schedule changes. I know there is a reason why I am using BP2008' sunrise/sunset utility...
System VersionV2.800.0000000.16.R, Build Date: 2020-05-29
WEB VersionV3.2.1.900200
ONVIF Version19.06(V2.6.1.845551)
Algorithm Version1.0.1
Security Baseline VersionV2.1
temp.jpg

Last edited:

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
@Holbs

is this from LED model ?

if not...

Date: 2020-05-29 ???

The firmware is really old... should have all SMD & Smart IR bugs ? :oops:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Holbs

is this from LED model ?

if not...

I run my 5442s on that 2020-05-29 firmware.

A motto around here is don't fix what ain't broke. In my setup, my 5442s do not get false triggers (I use IVS) and I run them in color, so SMD and Smart IR are added items that would not benefit my use case and when I tested it, it degraded my camera performance.

I tested the SMD 3.0 and the triggers were delayed (I as well as others documented that issue in that thread) as a result of the new algorithm. This in turn would cause my PTZ to turn to late when using one of these cams as a spotter cam.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
@wittaj

do you have only 1/1.8" 4mp or also the old 2mp ?? you wrote sometimes that the 2mp can be tuned to "much more" light in the night. i only can find bw videos in comparison here in the forum... no color.. maybe there are some, but i couldnt find it

Reaction score
@Holbs

is this from LED model ?

if not...

is not the LED model. I had a...ongoing security event (tire slashing) I was dealing with. All cameras & configs were 98% the way I wanted and worked. I was reluctant to do any FW updates until this security event settled down. When it did settle down, I was about to upgrade to latest/greatest til I found that a FW update that included the much needed Dahua AI determination between HUMAN and DOG/CAT was coming out in June. Well, 2nd week of July but still holding out til that FW comes around.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@wittaj

do you have only 1/1.8" 4mp or also the old 2mp ?? you wrote sometimes that the 2mp can be tuned to "much more" light in the night. i only can find bw videos in comparison here in the forum... no color.. maybe there are some, but i couldnt find it
I have the 5442 1/1.8" 4MP cams and the 5231/41 1/2.8" 2MP cams.

You mixing up what I said LOL.

What I (and others) have said is that two cams on the same size sensor but one is 4MP and one is 2MP, is that the 4MP needs double the light of the 2MP camera.

So if someone has a 4MP and 2MP cam both on the same 1/2.8" sensor, at night the 2MP stands a better chance of being able to be forced into color than the 4MP because the 4MP needs double the light of the 2MP.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
@wittaj

Seems that i mixed it up... :embarrassed: so all in all the 4MP with bigger sensor (1/1.8) has nearly same low light skills as old 2MP 1/2,8" :thumb: Thought you were always talking about the two dahua models :facepalm::facepalm::banghead:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 5442 with the larger 1/1.8" sensor will be better at night than the 2MP on the 1/2.8'" sensor in most situations.

Two different MP on the same sensor size will usually favor the lower MP camera.

WimNL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I run my 5442s on that 2020-05-29 firmware.
Have been searching, but couldn't find that version... Maybe to early for me...
Could you give me a hint? I would like to try that version, because the latest firmware is missing around 50% of the moment he (or she) should trigger....

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score

WimNL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Try this one.
I will do that! Thank you!

What is the difference with the version I run now?
V2.820.15OG001.0.R, Build Date: 2021-05-25