IPC-T2431T-AS Has Poor Focus, need advice

ThomasCamFan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
A year ago I purchased four refurb'd IPC-T2431T-AS from Andy during his 2022 Memorial Day Sale. Got a good deal, only $45 each. Two installed outdoors, one in my garage, and another in storage as a backup. These are used as observation cams (I have other Dahua's in strategic places for Identification purposes).

Now for the problem. The Garage camera's image has always bothered me. It's not horrible, but not great either. Definitely different in perceived resolution from the other T2431T cams. BTW, this camera is running V2.820.15OG000.0.R, Build Date: 2021-05-08 and has a 2.8mm lens.

After a year of muttering about how bad it looks, today I decided to resolve the problem. A full camera reset did not help. Optimizing the image settings (per recommendations on ipcamtalk) didn't fix it either. However, disabling the sharpness setting (Condition Sharpness = 0) I can more easily see that the cam is slightly out-of-focus. The default 50% sharpness was masking this.

Before I pull the camera off the wall and try to focus it, I have a question for those of you that have done this deed: Has the factory glued the lens in place? That's a practice I've experienced on other camera brands and focus tweaks are challenging when buried in adhesive.

- Thomas

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sharpness and the other parameters have an impact on focus. There is a thread here somewhere proving that.

But yes the factory had glued the lens in place on a threaded sensor, so an xacto knife scrape and you are in business to refocus.