IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E focus question

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm still trying to learn how the different settings affect the image, especially at night. This is a snapshot from a IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E. Is it apparent to any of the experienced people here what I should change to get a better image?

Screenshot 2023-03-16 204714.png

lpr001.20230316_195900448.21 - Copy.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you have enough light to run it in color?

What are your other parameters set to, things like gamma can impact the focus.

Post screenshots of every menu option.

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ok...I realized one error when I was taking screenshots. I know I have it scheduled to go to night at night. I haven't set up the plugin yet. But I also had it set to switch to night at 8pm. And I did not have it set up for DST or to sync with a time server. I thought it was in b/w but it was still set to color. Now I see why you asked me about enough light for color. Here's a night capture and the settings. I changed the time and schedule setting after the screenshots.

I should also add that I have a tendelux di20 apart from the camera but aimed at the same area. The camera is in a temp/testing location and there are some close branches that reflect the built in ir if I turn them on.
lpr001.20230316_210711238.22.jpg

z12e-001.png z12e-002.png

z12e-003.png z12e-004.png

z12e-005.png z12e-006.png

z12e-007.png z12e-008.png

z12e-009.png

z12e-010.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep IR at 100 for both and drop sharpness way down. Many of us are around 2 or 4.

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I take it you are trying to do LPR with this cam? Correct?

Push that Far IR to 100% right off the bat.
I've turned it up. There's also a separate IR light near it and pointing toward the target area. I picked up the Tendelux DI20 after reading a review by looney2ns on the 10w version.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I need to adjust the focus on my Z12E camera. It's set to manual focus and I use BI actions to set it to a predefined number every night. Originally this worked fine, but the camera is now out of focus pretty badly at night. The camera has not moved. I don't understand why the focus numbers would change over time if the camera hasn't moved. It looks fine during the day (so the lens isn't dirty, etc). I've just been too lazy to go out at night to "find the focus number" again but I really need to. It's so out of focus right now that it is impossible to read plate numbers which is the sole purpose of this camera.

Reaction score
The camera has not moved. I don't understand why the focus numbers would change over time if the camera hasn't moved.
If the zoom has changed, then the focus will change. I don't know what you mean by 'BI actions', but that may have lost the zoom/focus values. Also, sometimes if the cam is rebooted, the zoom/focus gets smurfed up.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also like anything, over time things stretch, get loose, etc. so if you are one where the focus was different day and night, then over time the components loosen up and setting 870 is now 878.

My LPRs have all needed a focus adjustment in the utility over time due to this.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can you post a video clip of that vehicle going thru - I want to see if that is maybe a bad plate or if it is clearer anywhere else during the event as it looks out of focus at that point.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Part of it is that it is out of focus. In some instances the daytime and nighttime focus can be a different number.

Is there anyway you can have someone stop a vehicle in the frame and manually focus it to the plate?

Make sure you set the step count for the focus to 1 because if it is on the default 20, then it won't show you the focus number changing a few numbers unless it is more than a 10 step difference.

A stopped plate will then let us determine if the angle is too great and the IR reflection isn't coming back to the camera.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is a good point.
They're using an IR illuminator so it might be angled wrong for the camera.
Yeah and while that illuminator he has is a good one, it spreads a far and wide infrared so it may not be getting enough either depending on his distance.

I have that same illuminator and it did jack squat nothing on the performance of my LPR. I couldn't tell a difference with it on or off.

For LPR it needs to be lined up pretty much in line with the camera and be a more focused IR beam like the Axton illuminators.

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The ir is pretty much lined up. I'll do the parked car thing soon. I'm behind on getting it installed in its permanent location. Once my wife and I switch offices, I'll be able to do a proper install as my new office is on the 2nd floor and will have a wall shared with the attic.

Reaction score
Your first pic seems to be zoomed into the FOV more than tha last one. Did you change the zoom? Do not use the zoom and focus that I used. You need to set your FOV for your situation.

Post a day shot also so we can get an idea of the angle/foreshortening.

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Your first pic seems to be zoomed into the FOV more than tha last one. Did you change the zoom? Do not use the zoom and focus that I used. You need to set your FOV for your situation.

Post a day shot also so we can get an idea of the angle/foreshortening.
I'll pull some day shots tomorrow. I have not changed the zoom. The FOV is looking past an T-intersection. So the vehicle in the last image may have at a bit of a different angle than the first one.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Try auto focus for a minute. and then adjust a little bit from there,

Thats a really tough angle on your video. but i'd say more zoom for starters.