Ipc-hfw2300r-z

Overcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just picked up a Dahua IPC-HFW2300R-Z and was wondering if there is a way to reset the camera to DHCP without accessing the menus? my POE network is not on the subnet that the DAHUA camera is set to statically, I wish they would set them DHCP by default) so I have no way of accessing it. If anyone has an idea on how to have it pickup an IP from my DHCP I'd appreciate it.

Overcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's a managed POE switch. I can't just set them to the same IP and have it transmit data over the switch. I have to figure out how to get it to pass that subnet when it's not configured for it. Probably have to create a new VLAN and assign it to two ports with that subnet. If only it was that easy. What would be easy is a way to reset the cam to grab a dhcp address :)

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just plug the camera into the laptop's ethernet port. It's much more simpler than you think.

Overcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'll try it, doesn't it need power?

Overcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah that didn't work. It's not getting the POE power.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
like I said, it needs 12vdc. The camera has a plug for it. It should work through the switch though, as long as your PC and camera are on the same scheme.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As vector says, you can use the switch..just unplug the router from the switch...leave only the camera and pc..change the pc ipv4 address to 192.168.1.1 you will now be able to access the camera.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You should even be able to leave the router in the switch and make the computer 192.168.1.1. I believe you told us your current scheme is different than 192.168.1.X, which means your router is not

Overcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had forgotten I had a POE injector, so I just used that and changed it.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can't you just used the Dahua Config tool to find the camera on whatever subnet and change it to your subnet? Then once you log into the camera, change it back to DHCP?

Overcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nope, the tool only scans the subnet you're on. I wish you could specify, but it won't. It even says in the manual you must be on the same subnet. That's why I don't get that they don't set it with DHCP. If they want people to use the tool, then DHCP wouldn't impact setup as the unit could grab an address and the tool would find it. They set it as static with the intent that they can tell you what IP to enter instead of using the tool.

But with my network, I have multiple subnets with different routers all behind the firewall. The 192.168.1.0/24 is the main network, but it is not the POE network. My POE network is on a different switch, behind a different router which is intern on a separate port on my firewall. That's done so that if the camera network is compromised a hacker couldn't get to my main network. So while I can hit the POE network, the tool can't and I can't change the IP to allow it to be accessed and without a means to set the camera to DHCP without accessing it, it makes it hard to initially configure. So I have to keep a POE injector around to access it, be nice if it could just be reset and pickup an address from my subnet.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Most manufacturers feel it's easier for average people to hit the camera if it's set for static, so no one has to 'find' it. And even if your a network genius, if the camera is set for static, it should
be cake to hit the camera. If it's set for DHCP, than your average person, would most likely have difficulty finding the camera.

Overcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Most manufacturers feel it's easier for average people to hit the camera if it's set for static, so no one has to 'find' it. And even if your a network genius, if the camera is set for static, it should
be cake to hit the camera. If it's set for DHCP, than your average person, would most likely have difficulty finding the camera.
isn't that why they include the tool? :)

Overcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am pretty sure you're not much inclined to comprehension, not I.

Overcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Trust me, I tried ending this whole spectacle with the POE injector, but someone has to keep at it. Not getting, that many wireless AP vendors user different versions of 192.x.x.x.x so a static IP would not be easier for the end user. Running the detection tool and having it find the camera on any subnet on the end users networks would be much easier for an end user that doesn't even know what an IP address is. I get what he is saying about static IP's and sure, if everyone comprehended what they are it might be, but that's not the way life is. But that's the last I'll bother with this subject that was over after I found the POE injector.