IPC-HDW5231R-ZE Rhea V2.800.0000016.0.R.200430 Latest new firmware

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think I’ve found an issue/bug with this firmware, all my cams randomly, not too sure under what circumstance right now but I run all my cams with substream 1 disabled and substream 2 enabled. What I’ve found is that the cams revert back to enabling substream 1 and disabling substream 2 which causes BI to then report a no stream error.

I’m not too sure right now but I think it’s associated with powering the cam down ie unplugging the network cable or restarting the cam causes this issue.

I’ll do some more testing and report back.

Edit: scanning back through this thread I see that others reported this issue and it does look like it’s associated with power cycling the cam.
Ver 16 has issues, use ver 13 instead. Dated 191202.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Cheers for that Looney, have gone back to v15 for the time being which doesn’t suffer from the issue but may well go back to v13 if that is regarded as the best version to use.

Dramus

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've so far installed v16 on two 5231's. One last October, the other a week ago Monday. So far it's been working fine for me.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
With v15 my ONVIF triggers from the cams are no longer working. Had tripwires setup so have changed then to intrusion to see if that makes a difference if it doesn’t then I’ll give v13 a try tomorrow.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Well what a nightmare, of sorts :) that was. Couldn't get ONVIF triggers to work with v15 of the firmware no matter what I did. So I ended up going back to v13 which now works but with both v15 and v13 the option for Motion Detection randomly gets enabled even though I've disabled it and saved it.

Not yet worked it out but some sequence of clicking around in the GUI enables Motion Detection so I've had to make sure that it is the last option I disable before logging out and it then seems to stick but if the cam is rebooted then the Motion Detection option gets enabled.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Quick update, I tested v13, v15 and v16 on 3 separate cams at the same time and v16 seems to be the best of the bunch, yes it does disable stream 2 and re-enable stream 1 after a restart but it keeps Motion Detection disabled between restarts of the cam.

All of testing was done by setting the cams to default, then updating the cam, after the restart another set to defaults and then another restart just for good measure.

Not normally critical but it does seem like the Dahua developers fix a few bugs and introduce others between updates. Makes you wonder on their code management and testing?

Bitslizer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Quick update, I tested v13, v15 and v16 on 3 separate cams at the same time and v16 seems to be the best of the bunch, yes it does disable stream 2 and re-enable stream 1 after a restart but it keeps Motion Detection disabled between restarts of the cam.

All of testing was done by setting the cams to default, then updating the cam, after the restart another set to defaults and then another restart just for good measure.

Not normally critical but it does seem like the Dahua developers fix a few bugs and introduce others between updates. Makes you wonder on their code management and testing?
Where can I find 13 and 15? I check the earlier thread and it seem the file drop box is deleted

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well what a nightmare, of sorts :) that was. Couldn't get ONVIF triggers to work with v15 of the firmware no matter what I did. So I ended up going back to v13 which now works but with both v15 and v13 the option for Motion Detection randomly gets enabled even though I've disabled it and saved it.

Not yet worked it out but some sequence of clicking around in the GUI enables Motion Detection so I've had to make sure that it is the last option I disable before logging out and it then seems to stick but if the cam is rebooted then the Motion Detection option gets enabled.
If you are using BI, with ONVIF, than it has been found that for some reason, when making changes in BI, motion will get turned back on. If you clear the motion zone in the cam gui, then it won't affect you. 16 had random reboot and other issue's that rears it's head as time goes on.
13 runs great on the 14 5231 cams I manage with the Motion zone hack.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
If you are using BI, with ONVIF, than it has been found that for some reason, when making changes in BI, motion will get turned back on. If you clear the motion zone in the cam gui, then it won't affect you. 16 had random reboot and other issue's that rears it's head as time goes on.
13 runs great on the 14 5231 cams I manage with the Motion zone hack.
So a change in BI will enable the Motion Detection setting within the camera GUI, didn’t even think of testing that, still have a few cams in v13 so I’ll give it a test in the morning.

I had all my cams running v16 and never had any random restarts of the cam as I would definitely have known as I’m using substream 2 and after a restart that stream gets disabled which would mean that the cam would error in BI.

I’ll keep testing and will keep an eye out for any random restarts of the cam on v16

Dramus

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
16 had random reboot and other issue's that rears it's head as time goes on.
Wasn't it determined that was perhaps hardware-version-dependent?

The 5231 I updated back in October rebooted only once since I installed v16. (And, come to think of it, I'm not even certain it rebooted. It lost connection with Surveillance Station. I don't think I checked to see if it was because it rebooted.)

I haven't noticed any other issues with either of the cams I updated to v16. They have stopped rebooting regularly, as they had been under v5 after I'd enabled tripwire and intrusion rules.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wasn't it determined that was perhaps hardware-version-dependent?

The 5231 I updated back in October rebooted only once since I installed v16. (And, come to think of it, I'm not even certain it rebooted. It lost connection with Surveillance Station. I don't think I checked to see if it was because it rebooted.)

I haven't noticed any other issues with either of the cams I updated to v16. They have stopped rebooting regularly, as they had been under v5 after I'd enabled tripwire and intrusion rules.
Could be, and I missed it. My experience is with cams that are 4-5 yrs old now.

shmookles

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
can someone post another Link to ver 15, im hitting the bug with 16...

Dramus

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I got the firmware from post by Andy when it was released and was using it until v16 came out.
As I wrote: I'm not suggesting there's anything wrong with it. Or you. I am just making the point it's generally considered a Bad Idea to install firmware or software from Random Sources on the Internet.

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It may have been in this thread that I noticed the firmware files Andy had a link to and a member, were not of the same size.
Probably unrelated but after a firmware update I had to do a bricked camera recovery on my DH-IPC-HDW5231R-ZE, it's not something I want to repeat again, not just the unbricking but taking it down and putting it back up on the wall.
Currently I know of no outstanding reason to update above V2.800.0000005.0.R.190325. I don't want to be a guinea pig, the camera is working and unless I mess with the firmware I expect it will continue to work.

Just an additional here because I may have mentioned it in this thread, for those with a Hikvision NVR with both Hikvision and Dahua cameras (configured on the Hik NVR as ONVIF), in my case it's a Hikvision DS7608NI-K2P NVR. In a previous post I'd mentioned that I'd lost the ability to use Hikvision's Virtual Host to access my Dahua cameras. It was alastairstevenson who previously put me onto toggling off Virtual Host, save, toggle back VirtualHost, save to re-establish the ability to access my Dahua cameras through my Hikvision NVR.

I am reporting here that this procedure may well need to be repeated again, possibly repeated over time. If you aren't able to access your Dahua cameras through your Hikvion NVR's Virtual Host feature, toggle off and on the Virtual Host feature on the NVR.

PS: I also run a Blue Iris dedicated PC

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I, as well as others, have said this before and it is worth repeating:

A common theme around here is don't fix what ain't broke. If the camera is working and meets your needs, in many instances an update breaks what you had working and provides you with something you didn't need. A Z12E that someone updated and now constantly reboots every 12 hours comes to mind, and a certain PTZ that loses autotracking with an update come to mind - both of those are big deals to have happen. Others have reported with other cameras losing the ability to change gain or a slider for a setting disappears. Don't do it unless it is fixing a problem you are experiencing or adds a feature you really need.

If your cameras are isolated from the internet, you do not need to run any firmware updates to the camera that come out as a result of a security patch.