IP cameras for small(ish) construction site

Daaaaan

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys

I come here for help, since I am lost in the specs of the hundreds of cameras available from Hikvision. And the specs aren't confusing, but I fear that my choices and the usage scenario may not be the best match.

I am looking to buy some cameras to watch a small construction site. The area is about 200ft x 80ft. The area is poorly lit but I can get a few floodlights if needed and set them to power on at motion detection.

My thoughts:

1 ColorVu 8mp with a 2.8 lens for the office (set in a container), with PoE
1 ColorVu 8mp with a 2.8 lens for the storage facility (another container), with PoE
1 Darkfighter PTZ 4mp (1/1.8 preferably or worst case 1/2.5 sensor) or 5mp (1/1.9 sensor) with PoE, to be able to watch the workers during the day and of course to be able to get license plates and other details of cars that might get near the property during the night. Stealing from construction sites is very popular nowadays in my area.

The plan is to set motion triggers for recording at night and do it on an internal SD card and upload video via router / WAN to a Synology DS918+.

I was thinking of the DS-2CD2T87G2-L or DS-2CD2087G2-L(U) and for the PTZ I was looking at DS-2DE3A400BW with ColorVu or DS-2DE7530IW-AE, DS-2DE7S425MW-AEB or maybe DS-2DE5425IW-AE.

Would this be a good setup? What are your reccomandations?

Thanks a lot! Cheers from Romania! :)

Sent from my SM-F916B using Tapatalk

Daaaaan

n3wb
Reaction score
That file you sent is awesome! I'm gonna study it tonight as the info inside is very well structured and concise.

Regarding your Dahua suggestion...I am reluctant to get Dahua products, as they have very little presence in my country, so I have very few choices both as products and also as shops that sell them.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That file you sent is awesome! I'm gonna study it tonight as the info inside is very well structured and concise.

Regarding your Dahua suggestion...I am reluctant to get Dahua products, as they have very little presence in my country, so I have very few choices both as products and also as shops that sell them.
they can be purchased from a member here.
Contact him directly to see if he can ship to your country.
EmpireTech Andy | IP Cam Talk

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
License plate recovery is more a specialized task, and will be a separate camera that will not be used for anything else at night.
See this thread to see how to set the camera up. Cameras also available from my man Andy at @EMPIRETECANDY .
He just finished up a Memorial day sale, but might have a couple left over if you email him.
Amazon in the has a lot of his cameras if you need to buy that way, don't know what's available over there.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Daaaaan

n3wb
Reaction score
LPR will be an easier task for my PTZ since I am more interested in capturing plates of cars that are stopped around the construction site or inside the site, during the night. I don't care for moving cars, they pose no threat. But from what I read I need a separate camera for that, so that means 2 PTZ cams... One for general surveillance and one for LPR.

1) I suppose it's possible to have the (non-LPR) PTZ trigger its zoom and focus once it detects movement and go from its regular program of "scanning" the whole site to zoom in and focus on the area of interest and stay where the movement is?

2) is it possible to record on SD card and upload as a backup to an off-site Synology DS918+, via router? (I am trying to avoid getting a NVR)

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
PTZ not easy use as a LPR, the LP always like a mirror. So use a bullet camera is the best way. But if your place has very good light in the night, PTZ also ok
Synology is bit normal, BI i think would be better if you still decide to buy the synology and avoid a NVR.

Daaaaan

n3wb
Reaction score
PTZ not easy use as a LPR, the LP always like a mirror. So use a bullet camera is the best way. But if your place has very good light in the night, PTZ also ok
Synology is bit normal, BI i think would be better if you still decide to buy the synology.
I can't use a fixed camera as LPR because the site has 2-3 acces points and also because a car can be parked anywhere around the perimeter during the night. The place is poorly lit unfortunately... Maybe I should install some motion-triggered floodlights also?

You mean "buy the NVR"?

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I can't use a fixed camera as LPR because the site has 2-3 acces points and also because a car can be parked anywhere around the perimeter during the night. The place is poorly lit unfortunately... Maybe I should install some motion-triggered floodlights also?

You mean "buy the NVR"?

Yes, if can get good flood light at the entrance , then can be ok, use a good Laser PTZ if has good budget, like SD6AL433XA-HNR.
Buy Blue Iris if you don't want a NVR.