IP Camera Security

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking at buying a couple IP Cameras for my home. I realize that I shouldn’t place the cameras in “sensitive” areas, but at any given time, any area can be sensitive. So, I am proceeding my quest with this in mind.

I am looking for an IP camera with the following features:
1) Pan & Tilt
2) Color
3) Wifi and LAN capable
4) Contains an SD card for local storage
5) Utilizes UV LEDs for night “vision”
6) Has the capability of being hosted by a 3rd party company for cloud storage, but not required

Now, I know that this all exists, so you’re probably thinking, “there are millions out there, just pick one”. However, I need all of these features alongside the following requirements:
1) Must be able to be accessed securely (1024 or 2048 bit encryption).
2) Must be accessible either within network, or from the other side of the world, WITHOUT requiring a 3rd party involvement (other than the internet itself). In other words, if I don’t want to access the camera via a cloud service, then I want to know that I can go directly to the camera, perhaps access it through an equally secure webpage hosted on my network at home. I currently get into my network via ssh from anywhere in the world.
3) Must be able to copy, scp, or store files on a remote system at the direction of an authorized user whom has logged in remotely. Say there is a fire that is noticeable on camera, or burglars whom are aware of the camera, I would like to have the files moved or potentially moved on request to another location.

The camera that I am targeting right now is the PIPCAMHD82 from Pyle, but I’m not sure if I can bring in the security requirements that I need. The most important feature is the need to access the camera directly and securely. Storage can be worked elsewhere. But, I would like to be able to transfer the video files to another location, perhaps a NAS or RAID.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You are joking about that Pyle garbage camera right?

Reaction score
Well, based on that comment...maybe?? I really don't know much about IP Cameras, but I feel that my networking skills are decent. Can you recommend any decent, secure, and proven IP Cameras, which do NOT require a 3rd party company to host the stream?

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here is my answer :

Sent from my One Plus X using tapatalk

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Please start with at least doing some 5 min research before putting up a specification list good to suit a Queen. We are here to help but we are not slaves. Just sayin... Spend a few minutes on this site with the search function to start with at least. Please

Sent from my One Plus X using tapatalk

Reaction score
I have searched the forum, but I am not finding discussions which address both the security and the direct remote capability. Believe me, I wouldn't have submitted this question had I not done my research. In fact, I am still searching. As for the requirements being fit for a queen, I don't agree. Being fit for a queen might include requiring a custom mobile application, with alert monitoring, full HD, or even 4K, 60 or 120 fps, and probably a means of speaking to the person(s) in the camera via a speaker. I'm only interested in the basics, with a standard basis of security, for a relatively decent cost, but that last part is debatable. People need to eat, right?!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ive never seen an IP Camera that was the least bit 'secure', drop that requirement.. if you need remote access to your network, use a VPN or your SSH Tunnel and there is your strong encryption.

Wifi is even more insecure, and absolute shit for IP Cameras, also drop that requirement..

UV Led's dont give you night vision.. they give you sunburn.. you want IR, at the other end of the spectrum.

Wait you want cloud storage AND security? pick one, not both.

Panning and Tilting is over-rated, you need to spend in excess of $300 USD for a decent PTZ camera.. worry about fixed cameras first.

Your left with: just about every decent IP camera on the market.

Last edited by a moderator:

smoothie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
...Your left with: just about every decent IP camera on the market.
I would suggest you look into Dahua or Hikvision as possible cameras for your needs. They are both good brands that are well liked on this board and others, they offer a wide range of products, and are generally the most popular choices in the budget to mid markets.

Oh and nayr knows a great deal about cameras and technology, I would strongly suggest you follow his advice, he will not steer you wrong.

Reaction score
Wifi is even more insecure, and absolute shit for IP Cameras, also drop that requirement..
Agree, wifi is very unsecure, but given the environment, I may not have any other choice. I feel the greatest threat is outside of the immediate physical area (remote access).

UV Led's dont give you night vision.. they give you sunburn.. you want IR, at the other end of the spectrum.
Yes, my bad, I meant IR.

Wait you want cloud storage AND security? pick one, not both.
I don't want both, I am just looking in case I need to switch after I have already purchased the camera. The dominant method will be to use direct connection.

Your left with: just about every decent IP camera on the market.
Do you have a recommendation? Why would someone not want PIPCAM from Pyle...just asking.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you have no option to run a wire use Power Line Networking.. if thats not an option, forget about putting a camera there.. A Camera thats recording to a remote service needs guaranteed network connectivity and throughput.. Wifi cannot provide that, you will loose connectivity and the stream will stop recording.. and you will be bald from pulling out all your hair trying to get the Wifi bend to your needs.. in my vast experience, you can fit about 2 1080p Wireless cameras on a network before its completely trashed it.. A wireless device thats streaming HD Video 24/7/365 non stop might as well be a Wifi jamming device, the more of them you have running the shitier your wireless network becomes.

that PIPCam is definitely a Pyle.. a Pyle of shit that is.. its a piece of junk in every respect and I dont even need to look at the spec sheet to know that.. Its a WebCamera, not a security camera.. Dont try to use WebCams as Security Cams, it dont work out well.

If you really want an indoor PTZ camera, then this is the camera that will meet and exceed every expectation you have: https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/9163-Dahua-Mini-Black-Face-PTZ-(SD29204S-GN)