IP camera POE injector to small wifi access point. Any access point / router recommendations?

Redbone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not able to direct connect to modem / wifi router in friends place due to location of camera ethernet cable incoming vs modem / wifi router. Thinking of running POE injector to wifi access point then to modem / wifi router. Anyone try this and is there a preferred brand of wifi access point?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
To clarify:

The IP camera does not have wireless built in and you're wanting to connect it wirelessly to the friend's wireless router?

Is there an AC receptacle near the camera ? (there's obviously one near the router). I ask because using a pair of PLA's (Power Line Adapters) of the latest G.hn technology might work even better ==>> Comtrend G.hn 1200 Mpbs Powerline Ethernet Bridge Adapter 2-Unit Kit PG-9172KIT

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Redbone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
To clarify:

The IP camera does not have wireless built in and you're wanting to connect it wirelessly to the friend's wireless router?

Is there an AC receptacle near the camera ? (there's obviously one near the router). I ask because using a pair of PLA's (Power Line Adapters) of the latest G.hn technology might work even better ==>> Comtrend G.hn 1200 Mpbs Powerline Ethernet Bridge Adapter 2-Unit Kit PG-9172KIT
The camera is IP only no built-in Wi-Fi. Two AC receptacles near P.O.E.

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not able to direct connect to modem / wifi router in friends place due to location of camera ethernet cable incoming vs modem / wifi router. Thinking of running POE injector to wifi access point then to modem / wifi router. Anyone try this and is there a preferred brand of wifi access point?
I would just get a pair of $30 linksys AC1200 routers and put them in bridge mode and just run that camera on that.

because if you just do the camera as wifi, it can negatively effect a home network's wifi.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Or for $30 buy ONE of these, put in client mode, pair to existing Wi-Fi. It comes with it's own UL-listed 5VDC wall wart power supply.

I've had great success using a more powerful and sensitive wireless radio at the camera end, plugged into the cam's Ethernet port and disabling the cam's built-in wireless when that was a feature.

The idea is to use the camera's wired (Ethernet/RJ-45) port and use a TP-LINK TL-WR802N Nano Router configured in "client" mode. You have power near the camera so this device would be placed near the camera or inside, powered up with it's included 5VDC adapter and an Ethernet cable run to the camera.

With your PC you log into the TP-LINK and set it up to use "client" mode, have it survey to locate the SSID (broadcast name) of your home's Wi-Fi, put in your home's Wi-Fi password and save it.

Once it reboots you move it over to the camera's RJ-45 port and it will access your home's Wi-Fi via the camera's Ethernet port and NOT the camera's wireless. I have used this TP-LINK device to allow a dozen or more devices (laser printers, cameras, older xBoxes) that do not have wireless to connect to Wi-Fi with their Ethernet port.

Here's the instructions ==>> How to Configure the Client Mode on TL-WR802N/TL-WR810N

TP-LINK_TL-WR802N_2.jpg