IP cam suggestion for me? BI, all hardwired

Reaction score
I've been looking at building a security camera system for years and years. I have a few IP cams and used BI with some cheap foscam cameras and I'm happy with the setup. It was more of a proof of concept to me than anything. Networking is not a problem, so everything will be hard wired. There is always the off chance there could be a camera or two that wouldn't be. I anticipate a total of probably 16 or so cameras by the time I'm done.

I know that some cameras have certain functionality built into them for processing information such as perhaps motion, recognition etc... From reading on the forums here, it seems like dahua or hikvision are great cameras to with. I'd like decent quality cameras, but they also don't have to be the absolute best. I know, the better quality the better security.

What types of features should I be looking for while searching for cameras? I have plenty of bandwidth on the network and BI server (10G connection locally). I also figured if I stuck with dahua or hikvision then I could get a dedicated recorder if for some reason I end up wanting to change from BI.

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Make sure you read the cliff notes.

Cliff Notes

The Dahua IPC-HDW5442TM-AS seems to be the current sweet spot between features, function, quality, price, all things considered.

EmpireTech (AKA Andy) offers this camera on Amazon and through his AliExpress Store, current price is around $150 or so and it comes in three focal lengths.

You can also get the 5442 in a varifocal.

The IPC-T2231T-ZS 2MP Varifocal is another great cam, it is well reviewed here. It runs around $125 currently.

Reaction score
Make sure you read the cliff notes.

Cliff Notes

The Dahua IPC-HDW5442TM-AS seems to be the current sweet spot between features, function, quality, price, all things considered.

EmpireTech (AKA Andy) offers this camera on Amazon and through his AliExpress Store, current price is around $150 or so and it comes in three focal lengths.

You can also get the 5442 in a varifocal.

The IPC-T2231T-ZS 2MP Varifocal is another great cam, it is well reviewed here. It runs around $125 currently.
Thank you very much for giving me a point to start. I'll be doing some reading :)

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
More information is needed to make any kind of recommendation. Areas of view, distances, lighting conditions, what distance you expect ID at, mounting heights, budget limitations and so on.

The current recommendations regarding resolution versus sensor size is-

720P - 1/3" = .333"
2MP - 1/2.8" = .357" (think a .38 caliber bullet)
4MP - 1/1.8" = .555" (bigger than a .50 caliber bullet or ball)
8MP - 1/1.2" = .833" (bigger than a 20mm chain gun round)

The short story is to chase sensor size first, then worry about resolution. A muddy 8MP at night won't help much while that same spot might work well with a 2MP under the same lighting.

Here's some food for thought. These are generally in the $130-$200 range. A varifocal can solve a lot of guess work when it comes to lens size, focal length, but they are a little more expensive than the same models in a fi -

The 5442 series of cameras by Dahua is the current "king of the hill". They are 4MP and capable of color with some ambient light at night. The 2231 series is a less expensive alternative in 2MP and does not have audio capabilities, no built in microphone, but is easier on the budget. The 3241T-ZAS has similar spcs as the 2231 and has audio. There are also cameras available from the IPCT Store right here on the forum and from Nelly's Security who has a thread in the vendors section.

Review - 8MP 1/1.2" sensor full color camera

5442 Reviews

Review - Loryata (Dahua OEM) IPC-T5442T-ZE varifocal Turret

Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+

Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ Turret

Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Turret, Full Color, Starlight+)

Review: IPC-HDBW5442R-ASE-NI - Dahua Technology Pro AI Bullet Network Camera

2231 Review
Review-OEM IPC-T2231RP-ZS 2mp Varifocal Turret Starlight Camera

3241T-ZAS Review

Less expensive models -