iOS app not connecting when on VPN; can login to BI machine through browser though

iseeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I connect fine to the iOS app (v 1.63.10...latest) when at home on my LAN wifi. However, when I log in on my iPhone over VPN (OpenVPN server in my Synology Router), the app won't connect. Over the same connection, I can login through safari to the static ip address of my BI server (with port) as shown below. I've check and rechecked the LAN and WAN settings, username and pw I'm using (course WAN shouldn't be used in either method since I'm on my LAN in both cases), but if the LAN works without the VPN then we know it is correct with the VPN. This has worked before over VPN, but it doesn't work now. Any troubleshooting suggestions?

I'm using BI v5.2.0.4

1588363740756.png

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I connect fine to the iOS app (v 1.63.10...latest) when at home on my LAN wifi. However, when I log in on my iPhone over VPN (OpenVPN server in my Synology Router), the app won't connect. Over the same connection, I can login through safari to the static ip address of my BI server (with port) as shown below. I've check and rechecked the LAN and WAN settings, username and pw I'm using (course WAN shouldn't be used in either method since I'm on my LAN in both cases), but if the LAN works without the VPN then we know it is correct with the VPN. This has worked before over VPN, but it doesn't work now. Any troubleshooting suggestions?

I'm using BI v5.2.0.4

View attachment 60801
in the app, ensure that the local lan ip is also entered in the WAN box.

iseeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
in the app, ensure that the local lan ip is also entered in the WAN box.
Tried 192.168.1.20:3700 in both LAN and WAN and no dice. Also tried assigned VPN lan ip of 10.8.0.10. And the app reverts back to the my WAN ip address after it fails to connect. Also tried forgetting server and reentering. Tried disabling the firewall on my BI PC.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Tried 192.168.1.20:3700 in both LAN and WAN and no dice. Also tried assigned VPN lan ip of 10.8.0.10. And the app reverts back to the my WAN ip address after it fails to connect. Also tried forgetting server and reentering. Tried disabling the firewall on my BI PC.
make sure you remove the 10 digit key and deselect lookup at each login on top of the mobile app server edit page.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes sir, that worked! I don’t get why but thanks!
When you have it lookup the key, it populates your wan ip address based on what your server sends to BI if you have that option selected - its a quasi ddns service.

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
make sure you remove the 10 digit key and deselect lookup at each login on top of the mobile app server edit page.
You are the man! I been trying to get mine to work for a couple hours and decided to look at the forum and boom this one nailed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk