Internet Speed Tests

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I periodically check my internet speeds and Fast.com had been my choice one for years as it was a simple site with no ads, etc. and just ran fast.

Recently, it is has been peaking out at half of my rated speed, but running other test sites like Speedtest, Spectrum, etc. all show my speed what I would expect.

My Blue Iris computer running as a dual NIC is my fastest computer and all that I run on it is Blue Iris, the Dahua sunrise/sunset utility, and NTP Server and it would consistently peg the highest Fast.com speeds and it is now the slowest.

What is weird is on this computer whichever browser I use, it pegs out at the same speed everytime like it is being throttled, and I am wondering if a recent Windows update did something? I thought maybe it was a cache issue, so I downloaded Chrome and it stopped at the exact same speed. Normally it will fluctuate 20MBPS or so.

Has anyone else been using Fast.com and experiencing similar issues?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@samplenhold - good so I know it isn't just my machine LOL.

Fast.com for years was my most consistent and fastest way to check. With Speedtest it takes forever to find a server lol and Fast had already done it's thing.

I am guessing NetFlix must have changed something on their end, or ISPs are doing something funny on their end LOL.

fullboogie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a slow internet from comcast in Houston both Speed test and FAST report 88 Mbps.
I'm in Houston as well. I can't figure out why such a large city has such crappy internet service compared to many other parts of the country. 90 mbps is the best I can get from AT&T.

Travis798

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Dang, and I was ecstatic to get this just a couple of short weeks ago. It's the best I can get here and only cost me 100 bucks a monthfast.png

Travis798

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@Travis798 - Who is your ISP out there in Oklahoma?
It's a fixed wireless provider called Chisholm broadband. It's been pretty unreliable lately so I'm switching to the local phone company next week. They say I should be able to get 50Mb and fiber is supposedly in the works at some point

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
did some quick googling and came up with this:

You look into any of these? The prices ISPs charge today is getting ridiculous.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
There are slow down issues due to Corona and more people being at home / working from home.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
It's a fixed wireless provider called Chisholm broadband. It's been pretty unreliable lately so I'm switching to the local phone company next week. They say I should be able to get 50Mb and fiber is supposedly in the works at some point
Depending on where you are, a lot of area is getting OEC fiber in OK. Works well 1g up and 1g down.
I have it at one location where we were relying on Hughes, it was like going from hell to heaven!
It is in the area of OEC power company, but they are expanding.
100m is $65 and 1G is $85 so real reasonable.

Travis798

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I live in a small town of about 300 people. I think there's less than 200 houses. We don't even have cable here. It's either the fixed wireless, that I've used for about 17 years, the local telco or satellite. I've always stayed away from the telephone company because they are nosy, but I have my router running ExpressVPN so no worries about that. They won't provide DSL without a phone line so total I'll be at $105 a month for 50Mb. IDK much about fiber, but the phone company ran some years ago. They have boxes at every house with signs saying underground fiber. There's one about 35' from my Network Interface Device so I'm hoping my speeds will be good and reliable. The phone company is across town so I'm about 2700' from the office in a straight line, but I don't know how the fiber runs. I'm hoping for a good experience. They are coming to install next week

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I live in a small town of about 300 people. I think there's less than 200 houses. We don't even have cable here. It's either the fixed wireless, that I've used for about 17 years, the local telco or satellite. I've always stayed away from the telephone company because they are nosy, but I have my router running ExpressVPN so no worries about that. They won't provide DSL without a phone line so total I'll be at $105 a month for 50Mb. IDK much about fiber, but the phone company ran some years ago. They have boxes at every house with signs saying underground fiber. There's one about 35' from my Network Interface Device so I'm hoping my speeds will be good and reliable. The phone company is across town so I'm about 2700' from the office in a straight line, but I don't know how the fiber runs. I'm hoping for a good experience. They are coming to install next week
Sounds like you will have it covered!
If it's like the OEC fiber, you will love it, ping times, turnaround times, etc everything is really quick and steady.

Travis798

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Depending on where you are, a lot of area is getting OEC fiber in OK. Works well 1g up and 1g down.
I have it at one location where we were relying on Hughes, it was like going from hell to heaven!
It is in the area of OEC power company, but they are expanding.
100m is $65 and 1G is $85 so real reasonable.
I'm in far north central Oklahoma. The phone company was actually bought or merged with or something with a company based out of Kansas, called KanOkla Networks. They have my town colored as fiber on their map, but they are DSL only here. When I talked to them they said they are supposed to be getting fiber here at sometime, but it hasn't happened yet.