Intel kaby lake i5 nuc vs i7 4700 Desktop

dastrix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
HI All

The NUC has the Iris Plus 640 where as the i7 4770 has the HD 4600 GPU.

Which would be best for Blue Iris in terms of performance? Both machines have 8GB ram and a SATA based SSD.

Thanks
Kris

Brett_F

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I believe the Nuc's "niche" is where small foot print / power requirements are key however both will perform well, just ensure they both have "Quick Sync" capability on the CPU die. The GPU is not really that relevant for BI versus the Quick Sync capability. That said the Sky Lake & Kaby Lake Quick Sync supported CPU's bring in H265 which is where all cameras are going. BI still hasn't leveraged fully the H265 standard but given that it does same or better quality @ half the bandwidth of H264, that might be enough reason on that alone.
Not 100% sure what the 4700's are (Haswell??) so getting a newer CPU might be the choice here.

Intel Quick Sync Video - Wikipedia

Last edited:

dastrix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Im not sure H265 will be available on the Dahua 5231R cameras ive got? on 2 it seems it is, so maybe its a firmware thing only.

Yes QuickSync is on the Kaby Lack NUC

Brett_F

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well I only have one camera (new) now with H265, I "doubt" it'll be a firmware update to get it on my older ones. I have another camera showing signs of failing now & I suspect when it is replaced, H265 will be one of the options as it is now with my latest. I am suggesting to "future proof" yourself now. Like myself, I suspect you'll need to replace a camera or two down the road as I am now. Just age & weather I suspect taking their toll.