Intel i5 4590 + 8Gb RAM; will it be able to swing it?

Sokonomi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello all,

Ive been thinking about using an old Dell Optiplex 3020 SFF as an NVR, but im not sure its specs are good enough to swing my cam setup.

The computer has an intel i5 4590 and 8gb of DDR3 1600Mhz RAM, with storage being handled by a NAS on a 1Gbit network.
I plan on using 3 Reolink 8MP cams, and a smattering of about 4 Firmware converted 1080p Wyze cameras that I might later upgrade to Reolinks as well.

Would that old computer be able to chug this? (It does have quicksync!)

Cheers,
- Soko

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
With the substreams option available and following every optimization wiki, a 4th generation can be a capable unit. A member here is running 50 cameras on a 4th generation at 30% CPU.

With that said, you have the wrong cameras for Blue Iris.

It isn't Blue Iris, it is the Reolink...

Blue Iris and Reolinks do not work well together, but the same principles applies for almost any low end consumer grade camera. It is just Reolinks is one of the more consumer end cameras people buy and come to this site as to why it is pointed out often about. I have a cheapo camera for overview purposes so it doesn't matter, but it exhibits this same behavior even though in the settings I can set an iframe...

This was a screenshot of a member here where they had set these cameras to 15FPS within the cameras (I suspect you will be missing motion that you do not know you are missing....):

1617133192782.png

Now look at they key - that is the iframes ratio. Blue Iris works best when the FPS and the iframes match. Now this is a ratio, so it should be a 1.00 if it matches the FPS. The iframes not matching (that you cannot fix or change with a reolink) is why they miss motion in Blue Iris and why people have problems. This is mainly why people are having issues with these cameras and there are many threads showing the issues people have with this manufacturer and Blue Iris. It is these same games that make the camera look great as a still image or video but turn to crap once motion is introduced.

The Blue Iris developer has indicated that for best reliability, sub stream frame rate should be equal to the main stream frame rate and these cameras cannot do that and there is nothing you can do about that with these cameras... The iframe rates (something these cameras do not allow you to set) should equal the FPS, but at worse case be no more than double. This example shows the cameras going down to a keyrate of 0.25 means that the iframe rates are over 4 times the FPS and that is why motion detection is a disaster with these cameras and Blue Iris...A value of 0.5 or less is considered insufficient to trust for motion triggers reliably...try to do DeepStack and it will be useless...

Compounding the matter even worse...motion detection is based on the substream and look at the substream FPS - they dropped down to below 6 FPS with an iframe/key rate of 0.25 - you will miss motion most of the time with that issue...DeepStack probably won't work at all...

Blue Iris is great and works with probably more camera brands than most VMS programs, but there are brands that don't work well or not at all - Rings, Arlos, Nest, Some Zmodo cams use proprietary systems and cannot be used with Blue Iris, and for a lot of people Reolink doesn't work well either.

Now compare above to mine and cameras that follow industry standards that allow you to actually set parameters and they don't manipulate them. You will see that my FPS match what I set in the camera, and the 1.00 key means the iframe matches:

1614139197822.png

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I run a I7-4970 with16GB memory supporting 15 cameras at total of 720MP/S With a CPU load at less than 20%. I do not run deep stack.
Get at least 16GB of memory and a good internal SSD and a Separate internal 4TB WD purple drive for the video. You can then move the video to a NAS from the 4TB. A NAS does not work well for random file record writes, It does work well for a complete file write.

I would strongly recommend dropping the reolink and wyze cameras in the junk bin. These cameras are not acceptable for a good surveillance system. These cameras will fail you the first time you realy need then to provide quality data.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Have a look at these I link to below. Also keep in mind that Andy, a member here, can ship anywhere, almost literally, in the world and has pretty good pricing not to mention excellent support. Unfortunately, the consumer grade cameras are not up to the task of real video surveillance despite their advertising them as such.

2231 Review
Review-OEM IPC-T2231RP-ZS 2mp Varifocal Turret Starlight Camera

3241T-ZAS Review

Less expensive models -

Sokonomi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
1080p cams won't cut it, I know this for a fact;
A resolution that low will render license plates mostly unreadable.
It's actually the reason why I'm looking to upgrade to higher resolution ones.

I thought Reolink looked pretty good, and seems to be popular.
But I guess if I want to use Blue Iris, they are off the table..

Amcrest, another commonly recommended brand, seems to be US based,
and is difficult to get here without paying a heap of shipping/customs.

Hikvision seems to be rather pricey once you get to the better ones.

I honestly don't know what brand to get anymore.
Does Reolink work on other surveillance software?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The only software Reolink "works" on with any degree of success is their own software. Have you looked at those other threads about Reolink? Many people here are using 2MP cameras for LPR with good success. The biggest keys for LPR are zoom, focal length, and shutter speed especially at night.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The only software Reolink "works" on with any degree of success is their own software. Have you looked at those other threads about Reolink? Many people here are using 2MP cameras for LPR with good success. The biggest keys for LPR are zoom, focal length, and shutter speed especially at night.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the cameras will more or less work in Blue Iris, you can record the video. But the video will be useless to the Cops and the courts to identify the bad buy. There are 100s of post on the poor quality of Reolink cameras.

The question you need to answer, is what I am trying to protect worth $100 more per camera. Is saving $100 per camera worth getting my car stolen and not be able to identify the bad guy.
Test do not guess. With the reolink camera have a "bad guy" in a hoodie quickly walk pass the camera at night 20 ft from the camera, will the video recorded stand up in court ? if not you have wasted your money.

Sokonomi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It seems opinions are divided on this Reolink stuff.
There are a few people who seem to have no issue with it.

And lets be honest, if some dude with a covered up face does something to your car,
it wont matter if you have a shitty wyzecam or a 2000 dollar ubiquiti cam.
If there's no recognisable face, court will likely not take it anyway.

That said, is there any cameras in the 100 to 150 dollar category even worth looking at,
or should I just give up, since spending 2000 bucks on surveillance leaves little left to steal? :idk:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Go ahead, buy the Reolink but you'll cry later. The thing to do is buy one camera at a time and build a decent system up over a period of time. I started five years ago and am still adding cameras as budget and time permit. Pick what you value most, want to have the protection on first and start there. I gave you links to decent 2K cameras but you seem to think that they won't work, when they will. You're experience is with cheap 2MP cameras, not cameras that allow adjustment of all parameters to fine tune the video for each specific location.

Don't rely on "opinions", have a look at those links and the video and still shots in them. Heck, even the YouTube videos pushing Reolink rarely show video with motion at night and for a good reason, it's total garbage.

Sokonomi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm not here to defend reolink, But I just don't understand why you are so impressed by that 2MP Dahua.
I can't get a read on most of the license plates that go by, and nightvision is almost entirely washed out?
That's apparently a 230 dollar camera, but at first glance it certainly doesn't seem worth it at all.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It seems opinions are divided on this Reolink stuff.
There are a few people who seem to have no issue with it.

And lets be honest, if some dude with a covered up face does something to your car,
it wont matter if you have a shitty wyzecam or a 2000 dollar ubiquiti cam.
If there's no recognisable face, court will likely not take it anyway.

That said, is there any cameras in the 100 to 150 dollar category even worth looking at,
or should I just give up, since spending 2000 bucks on surveillance leaves little left to steal? :idk:
There are several cameras in that price range, especially on sale. You just don't get the fancy AI software in the cameras, and night vision suffers as the cheaper cameras run smaller sensors compared to the more expensive ones.

But, you are starting with the wrong approach. You need to identify what you are trying to do, then decide how to do it. You are trying to select hardware without establishing expectations or requirements of that hardware. I have several $80 Loryta/Dahua cameras that work in the applications I have them in. What are you trying to do? Cover a driveway with a street light on each side and sconces on the wall? Cover a totally unlighted back yard? Trying to read license plates at 45 mph, or at a stop sign? Different conditions require different solutions.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm not here to defend reolink, But I just don't understand why you are so impressed by that 2MP Dahua.
I can't get a read on most of the license plates that go by, and nightvision is almost entirely washed out?
That's apparently a 230 dollar camera, but at first glance it certainly doesn't seem worth it at all.
I assume you are talking about the IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E. Because if properly set up, it will capture license plates in pitch black at 100-175 feet, maybe farther. I have it working reliably at about a 30 degree angle horizontal, and a 30 degree angle vertical capturing plates at night at 110 feet.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The reason I am "impressed" with the 2MP Dahua is because they work and I have also worked with Reolink and that, flat out, doesn't work. Have you worked with anything like a Dahua or just Reolink, consumer grade, "cameras"? You came here asking for advice and haven't wanted to hear anything that will actually get you on the road to having a decent, useable, workable, system. I suspect you haven't read any of the links that have been provided or looked at any of the videos provided. Unless and until you do that you are working with no real world information and have no way to form a comparison or serious opinion.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You've obviously have not bothered to read the links already provided to you. We can't do it all for you.
Yeah, ignore the many hundreds of hours of combined experience that floats around here for free.
This cam is just fine, when properly setup for the situation.
Review-Dahua IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E AI Varifocal Bullet | IP Cam Talk
Reolink is pure and utter garbage.

Sokonomi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was looking at the videos in the link posted by Sebasiantombs, It doesn't appear to do much in regard to readability on plates?
As to nightvision, I've seen better quality in wyze's recent update to their v3 starlight sensors, if im being perfectly honest.

As for the lack of situational info on the cameras, I came asking for an NVR,
but it kinda turned into a "which camera" discussion along the way. ;)
Seeing as it has become relevant now;

My first layer is my parking lot;
A 10 x 30ft strip outside, infront of my store.
I plan on using one good camera here, needs to be able to see license plates,
both parked and moving, as customers car mirrors go flying sometimes..

My second layer is my Showroom;
A 30 x 30ft area, doors lead outside and further in.
I plan on using 2 good cameras here, behind the register and corner next to outside door.

My third layer is my workshop;
A 30 x 15ft area, doors lead to showroom, a small office, and upstairs domicile.
I plan on using 1 good camera here, and an old Wyze in the office as a secondary.

Mu fourth layer is the hallway leading to the upstairs domicile;
Small dark corridor, has rear door exit, but is heavily barred by a metal shutter, so not much of a risk.
I will just use another old Wyze here, since people would have to pass 3 good cameras to get here.

I have 2 more Wyze cams I will just dot in stupid places upstairs,
since I wont rely on these for any legally useful footage.
Roof deck, my aquarium, stuff like that.

Only upgrades I intend to make, if price permits, are office and hallway.

Actually, just forget it.
I came asking for help, get presented a camera that looks utterly terrible for 230 dollars,
and for every argument I try to make about it I get belittled and chewed out.
And while drumming up more info that might help further the cause, you guys just post more insults.
Some bloody welcome that is.

Some of you also seem to think I have shares with reolink; I just thought they looked good, ok?
But the general consensus here seems to be 'get your pitchfork out at the mere sight of the word Reolink'.
Just freaking relax and try to see this from my perspective, before biting my head off right out the gate.

I suspect you haven't read any of the links that have been provided or looked at any of the videos provided.
Utter bullcrud, I even directly referenced one of em.

Last edited: