Installing two new cameras and somehow screwed up BI

fishinforfacts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am running BI version 5 and have been since right after i first came out. Up until now I have only had one camera, a Hikvision DS-2DE2A404IW-DE3 PTZ,, and everything has been working fine. I have just added another Hikvision like the original one as well as a Dahua N43AM5Z smart camera that is varifocal but not PTZ. I installed the Dahua first but when I did BI stopped live streaming both cameras. The original would still capture events fine but it was like the video is paused. I tried everything I could find to try and nothing helped. I thought that it might be that I selected the wrong camera type when installing the camera but after trying several nothing seemed to improve. Also on the original camera all PTZ functions stopped working. I went ahead and installed the second Hikvision it was acting the same as the other cameras, no live streaming and no PTZ controls. Next, I tried deleting both new cameras and going back to square 1. But, even after reverting the original camera still doesn't live stream and the PTZ controls don't work, but it still captures events. I've got to believe that it is something stupid I have done, but don't have a clue what.

The other nice to have would be to get both Hikvision cameras on the same version of firmware. The original camera has V5.6.12 Build 190701 the new has V5.7.1Build 211015. I have gone to the Hikvison website, and the current version is V5.7.11 Build 220905. So I am assuming that I have to update both cameras will need to be updated. I don't understand the process fully, and wonder if I have to update the firmware progressively from the existing Build to the current Build, or if I just have to install the current version. Thanks for any help on this as well.

Lastly, what camera do I select in BI for the Dahua N43AM5Z.

Thank you for your assistance in these issues.

Reaction score
It is recommended not to update cam firmware unless you have to. Like a security feature or some new feature you desire. It is not necessary to have cams firmware all on the same version. Updating firmware is risky as bricking the cam is fairly easy to do.

In BI, let BI pick the make and model. Just put in the IP address, User and password then click 'Find/inspect'. See below.

1672625502293.png

As far as you issues with live streaming and PTZ controls, it is hard to know without seeing your setup.

What version are you on, Running as a service or what? Etc.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, just let find/inspect find the correct protocol. Almost all of mine show up as generic.

Need more info on your setup - what computer (i number and gen number and how much RAM); are cameras going thru router or is it VLAN or dual NIC? etc. Anything could be causing those issues.

You really need to be asking yourself why are you updating? If it is just for grins and giggles or OCD behavior to be running the latest firmware or all cameras on the same firmware, think twice.

A common theme around here is don't fix what ain't broke. If the unit is working and meets your needs, in many instances an update breaks what you had working and provides you with something you didn't need or bricks the camera. In most instances, updates are simply security vulnerability patches (usually years after the breach was found), but since we do not give our cameras internet access, the update is useless to us.

Unless the release notes specifically mention it fixing a problem you are experiencing, more than likely it won't fix an issue and may make the camera worse by removing functionality.

Here are issues I have seen people report here where they were upgrading just for the sake of upgrading:
  • Dahua 5241E-Z12E that someone updated and then constantly reboots.
  • Dahua 49225 and 49425 PTZ that Dahua intentionally removed autotracking with an update to force people to buy the more expensive PTZ.
  • Hikvision DS-2DEA425IW-DW PTZ that Hikvision intentionally removed autotracking with an update to force people to buy the more expensive PTZ.
  • Hikvision ANPR camera losing half the FPS and loses the ability to read US plates - those are big deals to have happen, especially if you live in the USA.
  • Hikvision ANPR DS-2CD4A26FWD camera that lost all ability to read plates - kinda makes a plate reader camera useless.
  • Hikvision camera that the user lost ability to control the LED light function at night.
  • Hikvision DS-7616NI-Q2 NVR that has the APIs changed. This is a big deal if you run automation.
  • Hikvision wifi camera that loses the ability to use wifi after a firmware update and was intentionally removed due to too many complaints that the camera was dropping signal.
  • DH-DB61 Doorbell that loses API functionality. A big deal for someone with automation.
  • Hikvision iVM4200 v3.8 - loses the free ability to use the computer as storage and now need to subscribe.
  • Dahua IPC-HFW1320S that started phoning home using 60MB/hr and costing someone thousands of dollars in data overages when he got his next mobile bill.
  • Dahua 5442 that will not allow playback of the SD card.
  • Dahua NVR58XX-4KS2 that had custom protocol (ability to add a camera via RTSP) removed possibly to force people to purchase same brand cameras.
  • Countless other instances where the camera or NVR simply bricked and became useless.
  • Countless examples where the camera or NVR went into Chinese.
  • Manufacturers are now preventing their equipment to be updated with an older working firmware after it was updated to a more recent firmware.
Don't do it unless it is fixing a problem you are experiencing or adds a feature you really need.

Another thing to consider is that the same model could have different firmware for different chipsets used during the life of that model. So you run the risk of bricking if you do not know what chipset you have.

Here is an example - the HFW3549T1-AS-PV is available in 2 versions of firmware across 3 different chipsets for the same model camera:
  • HFW3549T1-AS-PV-S4 uses the HX3XXX-Taurus firmware.
  • HFW3549T1-AS-PV and IPC-HFW3549T1-AS-PV-S3 use the HX5XXX-Volt firmware
In this instance, Dahua added an S# designation after the model number (while Hikvision adds a C), but many do not and then you try to update with a firmware not compatible with your chipset and potentially brick it.

Further, it is best to obtain any firmware updates from the vendor you purchased it from so that you do not run into issues. Any firmware you find here or elsewhere is obviously proceed at your own risk. We have many threads here where someone tried an update with a firmware they found on the internet and bricked their unit.

Many units being sold are Chinese hacked units into English that will either brick or go into Chinese upon updating. Some vendors will be upfront and tell consumers that as part of their website, but many do not or the consumer forgets...here is one such example....

1672626830122.png

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Dont get OCD on PTZ firmware matches. You could lose functionality you have now. We highly recommend doing a fuck ton of research into the firmware version and whether the hardware is hack Chinese version or English international version....It's a crap shoot. People come in here weekly with this problem: Everything was working fine and then after I upgraded the firmware I lost the Blah blah blah,"

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You need to study the built-in blue Iris help file. It will answer most of your questions. Baby steps, one thing at a time. Did you set static IP unique address in the new cams that are not duplicates of ones already in use.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@fishinforfacts Look at the upper right of the video area in Blue Iris for this pause button, shown in red here: 1672632941827.png

That is commonly hit by accident to pause the live video.

Also if you access via Microsoft Remote Desktop, then see Blue Iris Settings > Cameras > Video during Remote Desktop.

fishinforfacts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@fishinforfacts Look at the upper right of the video area in Blue Iris for this pause button, shown in red here: View attachment 149695

That is commonly hit by accident to pause the live video.

Also if you access via Microsoft Remote Desktop, then see Blue Iris Settings > Cameras > Video during Remote Desktop.
samplenhold and wittaj thanks for the quick and detailed response.

First, I am not experiencing any issue with my existing Hikvision camera to warrant upgrading it to the latest firmware. As a mater of fact, I like that firmware better, because when I go through the web interface it allows me to paste in my password as opposed to keying it in. In neither version can I save the password to the web browser. So, the older version is more convenient since I do not reuse passwords between devices or websites and between the two it amounts to nearly 100 unique passwords. The only reason I decided to upgrade to the current version of firmware is that I had read something to the contrary of what you said where people had written about problems and the responding question was have you upgraded to the latest version. So, I interpreted ii that I should be. Stupid me.

Just as an FYI since this issue has been fixed (see below). Now on to my environment for my BI System. I am running a dedicated HP ProDesk 600 SFF G2 with an Intel I5-4590 CPU running at 3.3 GHz with 8GB of RAM with Windows 10 Pro. I am only using 28% of the RAM with two cameras installed and 33 with three cameras installed. I also use Anydesk on this machine for remote access since this system is in Florida and I only spend about 5 months there and 7 months up north. My topology consists of an Arris SBG6900-AC modem/router over ethernet to two gigabit switches. One switch is a POE switch that has only the three cameras plugged into it. The second switch has The BI computer, another HP SFF computer that is my main machine, a printer, and a MyCloud NAS. When we are not in Florida only the BI Computer is connected to the switch. The NAS is only used to perform weekly backups of my wife’s laptop computer and my computer. The BI computer hard drive is cloned anytime any changes are made to the system so in the event of a failure it’s a matter of pulling the old drive out and putting the new drive in to be up and running again. BI Release is 5.1.0.4 x64 and I run it as a process.

I followed the instructions for setting up the Dahua camera and it worked fine.

Thanks also to bp2008 as you pegged the problem with the paused video. Your solution is what it felt like to me and I had even clicked that icon during trying to find a solution and it didn’t seem to do anything so I clicked it again and repaused it. Stupid me. Now everything works as expected including the PTZ controls.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Since you are running a 4th gen, make sure you are running the substreams to keep the CPU% down.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score