Installed (not powered) NVR and control devices in outdoor enclosure (freezing -20C)

sanhas

n3wb
Reaction score
In our project, NVR is installed in an outside cabinet, with other switches, and controllers. The cabinet is not commissioned yet/ the devices are not running. Our outside temp is -20C. The heater in the cabinet is OFF. The contractor mentioned that the heater will be ON, only when the devices will be working. Can we leave the installed NVR and electronic devices, not powered, in freezing condition?

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Short term it probably wouldn't hurt. I don't know about long term exposure. If it really mattered in the short term, anything shipped through hot/cold environments would likely see high failure rates.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Thats how cold the electronics are when Amazon puts them on any Minnesota porch. My iphone 14 was stuffed in a mailbox for 24 hours with temps around +5 to -7F.
My Amcrest NVR's are on thier 3 rd year out in a garage. right now it's 7F in the Garage. :idk:
but thats not quite your scenario.
Cars sit outside all year here, don't they have Lectronics in em?

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is the environmental specs for a typical Netgear POE switch.
Gigabit Plus Switch Series (JGS524PE)
24-Port Gigabit Plus Switch With 12-Port PoE

View attachment 152860

I would imagine that most other IP electronics are similar.
FWIW, that's a "storage" spec, the "operating" is 0 to 40C; granted that the ambient will be warmer when operating, can't say if it would raise the ambient by 20C and don't know about the OP's NVR operating temp specs either. Heck, I'd give it a shot. :cool:

sanhas

n3wb
Reaction score
This is the environmental specs for a typical Netgear POE switch.
Gigabit Plus Switch Series (JGS524PE)
24-Port Gigabit Plus Switch With 12-Port PoE

View attachment 152860

I would imagine that most other IP electronics are similar.
The devices are out-of-box and installed. Is the storage temp applicable to this case? Thanks