Installation and test equipment

sygad1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi All

I'm looking to install CCTV at a friends after he liked what he saw at my house but was wondering if there was a recommended way of testing the picture when installing.

Currently I use my mac laptop to remote desktop to my Blue Iris machine to see what's going on, this won't work at another location.

I was thinking about buying one of these 7" test screens as a solution

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Uphig-IPC9600-Monitor-Capacitive-Analogy/dp/B01F8F24MI/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1474845157&sr=8-5&keywords=cctv+test+screen

Does anyone have any experience if they are good, will the adequately power a POE camera and provide video signal?

Cheers for any help and advice

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
i just use my phone or tablet via WiFi, get it on the network before installing it outside..

sygad1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Cheers for the reply

Is this on your own home network or at another location?

What software are you using on your phone to act as a remote viewer for the camera?

Cheers

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
i use the apps for the camera, or tinycam veiwer..

they should let you on wifi another location, you need network access to setup IP cameras..

FrankOceanXray

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ya, I saw those cool test tools in my searching.. and I am a sucker for more tools. Thing is, your smartphone or tablet or laptop will do the trick. Put it in the same network as the camera, type in the IP address (Dahua defaults to 192.168.108). You can get into the camera from there and make your adjustments.

I did this one my phone yesterday over WiFi via tinycamPRO upon relocating my driveway cam. Phone in one hand, camera in the other and phillips head in the other....

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My ladder actually has a little attachment to hold a paintbrush and I lucked out, my iPhone 7 Plus fits in it perfectly so I just attach it to the ladder and then get up on it and adjust.

Like they mentioned above, just connect to the network first and you're good.

FrankOceanXray

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just thinking of an ultimate set up, hands free.

Google glass even supported anymore? Like a Segway. Was to be so revolutionary. Good lucking finding one outside of a mall cop office.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
mebe but I find kids riding hoverboards all over the neighborhood.. the segway putting you up on a pedestal made you appear like an asshat, people take tours of downtown on em and boy do they look stupid. now, however hoveryboards are dangerous and cool..

i perfer skateboards.. but now onto Google Glass, augmented reality asshats lol.. get off my lawn that stuff has no use but to spy on everyone.. that was then, this is now.. everyone plays Pokemon Go and augmented reality is dangerous and cool..

see a theme here? want to change the world, your product has to either explode or get you ran over/robbed.

rotorwash

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

sygad1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I like the idea of tinyCam, but i'm thinking more of a situation where I don't want to commit the cable run to the network before I have the camera in the ideal position.

I'm kinda kicking round the idea of using an old router with a mains powered POE injector, it would look like this:

wifi tester.png

I can put the equipment in a container of some sort (Peli case type thing), and use this as "on site" test rig, it keeps me completely independent of the house network and keeps the range for the wifi very strong as it's right next to me.

Thoughts?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

FrankOceanXray

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Basically these companies need to make products that guarantee they will get sued
Well along these lines as I cascade into Home Automation.. this info in the cloud. And privacy concerns. Unreal. I was going to get a VeraPlus since it is not exclusive to the cloud like SmartThings.. but.. I cancelled the order still! All this stuff is scary and reveals the true need for us to be free and at least a bit more simpler.

sygad1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That battery powered POE injector is $200, seems a little excessive and single function, the original test device I posted was multi function for roughly the same price.

My DIY wifi router/POE injector can be done for about £15 + old crap lying around.....on the assumption that the idea works of course ;-)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
or you could just use a portable car starter and power it w/the 12v plug.. and a USB OTG Ethernet device so your tablet connects right up.

FrankOceanXray

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, at that point you may just want to buy the tool. I see them online for not much money.. much more to piece it together unless you got the parts laying about, knowhow to tackle it, time to build/test.

Sounds fun.. but.. I'd default to the tool until the tool makes me desire more.

Try IPVM's calculator to at least get an idea of camera set-up. I already relocated one of my cameras. Just plugged the screw holes with wood putty and the large whole with a dowel rod. Paint will have it looking seamless. On a customer's home I can see where that won't be a great option.

sygad1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Interesting idea about the 12v car starter, I have one of those already, an Angry Jester car booster starter, couple with something like this, USB2 OTG to Ethernet

That eliminates the need for mains power and is a hard wired solution