Install Swann IP POE camera on Hikvision nvr

miphize

n3wb
Reaction score
I am trying to get a Swann IP POE camera to work on a Hikvision nvr. I have tested the camera on Swann vrn-8580 and it tested fully working, I have also tested the Hikvision nvr with Hikvision camera and it is tested working.

Technical Specs for Swann Camera
Make: Swann
Model: NHD-885MSB, 4K Ultra HD

Techical Specs for Hikvision nvr
Make: Hikvision
Model: DS-7608NI-K2/8P
Storage: 6TB

I have been on contact with Swann, and they confirmed their camera is ONVIF compatible but were unable to give me any further information on the version and settings etc.

Has anyone tried to get Swann IP camera working on a Hikvision nvr?

Can you share how you managed to get it working?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to get Swann IP camera working on a Hikvision nvr?
My admittedly limited experiences with Swann IP cameras are that they have proprietary characteristics and don't interoperate well with other brands.
I'd avoid the mix-and-match approach that often works OK for other brands.

I have been on contact with Swann, and they confirmed their camera is ONVIF compatible
You can verify that if you explore the camera with ONVIF Device Manager, from sourceforge.net
Give ODM some valid logon credentials, top left of the window, and it will find ONVIF-compatible devices on same IP address range as the PC automatically.

To configure an ONVIF IP camera in an NVR you need to know the 'ONVIF port'.
Quite often the 'ONVIF port' isn't the same as the HTTP port.
In ODM you can see it in the URL at the bottom of the Identification page.

Another thing ODM allows you to check is if the camera generates ONVIF event notifications for motion. Not all do.
See these on the Events page, and in the Rules and Analytics pages.

miphize

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Alastair, I really appreciate your reply. I did as you said. Took me a while, as I had to source and build a new computer so I didn't mess up my every day PC.

Installed ONVIF Device Manager, and it did pick up the camera. but was not able to interrogate the settings as ONVIF Device Manager reported 'NVT The action requested required authorisation and sender is not authorised' even though I used the correct username/password combination for each camera.

The only thing I managed to get working via ONVIF Device Manager as the, web page which required a download of a web app extension to work. After I did this and logged in in via the web page I was able to see the image in live view.

In the Remote Settings tab, I looked at various network settings. The RTSP is enabled and port is 554.

I have taken screenshots.

I am no expert with CCTV, but I see the following options are available; first option is to stay with Swann and move one of the hard disc drives to the Swann nvr to increase the storage which is what started me down this path. second option is to bite the bullet and purchase Hikvision cameras (this is where I was hoping to make a saving by using the Swann cameras I already have).

In conclusion, I don't think Swann IP Cameras are ONVIF compatible (Swann support told me they were) and best to purchase a more open system for future proofing. That way you can save money by buying the camera you want and have more freedom of choice - this in itself rules out Swann as they are not compatible with any other system on the market and the most frustrating bit is, they don't have the range of camera I want to use, which I didn't know at the time - hopefully someone will find this useful if they're not sure to buy Swann or prefer to keep their options open as I would prefer myself.

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
ONVIF Device Manager reported 'NVT The action requested required authorisation and sender is not authorised' even though I used the correct username/password combination for each camera.
That's a bit odd.
Are you using special characters in the password / an unusually long password?
Maybe worth a quick experiment with a simple password if so.

In the Remote Settings tab, I looked at various network settings. The RTSP is enabled and port is 554.
If you can live without motion detection - you should be able to add the camera as a 'Custom protocol' generic RTSP device using the string
/ch01/0
as seen in the camera RTSP/Network config page.