Inflation

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
From a brief search it shows about 85% inflation in Turkey. The reported 7-8% for the US is total bull shit. Everything that I depend on is up much more. Eggs are up 500% on average, Ground chuck has doubled and name brand loaves of bread have near doubled in price.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
From a brief search it shows about 85% inflation in Turkey. The reported 7-8% for the US is total bull shit. Everything that I depend on is up much more. Eggs are up 500% on average, Ground chuck has doubled and name brand loaves of bread have near doubled in price.
I think 85% for Turkey was last month's number .. gotta be higher now ..

rolibr24

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, the food bill is completely out of control, and other then our mortgage our second largest expenditure a month now. Freaking stupid.

Who would have thought 2 years ago, that we would be paying close to or more then $16 for 2 dozen eggs? Holy F**k!
The main reason for the high egg prices is due to avian influenza. So far over 30 million birds affected. When a farm is hit with AI it takes months before they are up and running again. The first step is to depopulate. Then the cleaning process starts. Which takes weeks until the swabs come back negative. Then there is the troubles of even finding birds available to refill.
Normally farms have chickens scheduled at least a year in advance. And that is per building (100,000-200,000 birds per building). Now when it is time to try to repopulate good luck finding over a million birds.... It's absolutely cayotic.

I am in the egg industry, between AI hitting, and the rising cost of beef, pork and chicken. Eggs are still the cheapest source of protein. Add onto inflation on every other item at the grocery store eggs are still the cheapest source and the consumer is buying more. Supply and demand.

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
Do not forget last winter too! All the birds and hatchlings that died when when all
of the electricity was down. That helped get that ball rolling then the AI hit.

rolibr24

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The other big thing is states mandating cage free eggs. A barn that used to house 150,000 birds can now only house 100,000.

OH, and never mind the imence cost to these new barns. To put up a new cave free barn you are talking several million dollars. And generally a perfectly fine conventional barn needs to be tore down to build cage free.

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
If one looks at the commodity prices for the past year, then one would have to scratch one's head
at the data here. I only picked butter but, look at some of the rest. There is a PROFIT being made.

Reaction score
I made a reverse seared tri tip last night that I had vacuum sealed and put into the freezer in early 2021. Turned out great!

Today, I wanted to use some of the purposefully undercooked left over tri tip for fajitas but didn’t have any bell peppers. Wow! What a shock! One bell pepper, red or yellow, is $1.52 per! This compares to $0.49 before Biden started tearing our country apart.

Nearly a hundred dollars for 3 yellow onions, two bell peppers, 2 half gallon cartons of milk, a bunch of cilantro and a small bag of potatoes and less than a half pound of stew meat.

Just wow!

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I made a reverse seared tri tip last night that I had vacuum sealed and put into the freezer in early 2021. Turned out great!

Today, I wanted to use some of the purposefully undercooked left over tri tip for fajitas but didn’t have any bell peppers. Wow! What a shock! One bell pepper, red or yellow, is $1.52 per! This compares to $0.49 before Biden started tearing our country apart.

Nearly a hundred dollars for 3 yellow onions, two bell peppers, 2 half gallon cartons of milk, a bunch of cilantro and a small bag of potatoes and less than a half pound of stew meat.

Just wow!
Funny you mention that, did this earlier today!
71B19E37-455D-4004-85F6-4921F2EE0CB3.jpeg
All things aside, inflation hasn’t hit anything in the low voltage world. Wonder why? Anything with back doors that could be used for clandestine purposes isn’t going to go up; your tv’s, cameras, and “smart” anything.
I’ve always found it intriguing that most here are in love with something that only works on Windows PC, but spend so much time trying to “secure “ a network.

rolibr24

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Look for a local farmer. Buy a deep freezer and buy a half a cow, pig or lamb. At least in our area you can buy 1/2 a cow hanging for $3 a pound. (around 300# of meat) We just had the butcher at our farm to butcher some sheep. We sell our lambs for $3 a pound hanging. The carcass is usually 80-90 pounds.

No, we don't get rich doing it, it covers the feed bills and gives us more money to continue expanding our farm. But we have a few freezers full of meat that we raised, we have happy customers who have full freezers and know where their meat was raised. Plus it gives our kids work to do outside and teaches them life lessons

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
Are those "ecological" or "green" lawn mowers to rent out to "tree hugers" in the city?