I think I solved my instability issues... accidentally

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have been struggling with multiple daily crashes and very jerky playback. It got so bad that I switched to all newer hardware. I'm now on an i7-6x with 48GB ram, 1TB SSD (for OS and app) and 14TB internal SATA drive for clips.

To avoid corrupting a brand new system with gremlins from the old one, I did not import the application settings. Instead, I configured all global settings from scratch. I got burned bad by leaving the default "delete after 7 days" for clips, and then moving the 14TB clip drive to the new PC. It dutifully deleted everything older than 7 days (including months worth of new home construction video of the in-laws place).

That aside, I still had instability and jerky video.

However... after realizing my FUBAR noobie mistake of allowing the time-based deletion of clips, I changed the alerts capacity-based deletion to 0gb - thinking that would disable the deletion. It, of course, deleted all my alerts - nearly 1TB of alert images. I did that three days ago. I haven't had a single crash, or jerky video since.

I've now set it to 20GB and 10 days for alert images. If I haven't needed to review alerts in the prior 10 days, I don't need them to clutter the drive.

My thoughts are that with 60 cameras, each recording countless alert images simultaneously, while also recording God-knows how many D2D streams, I'm guessing the 14TB spinny disk is probably maxing out on bandwidth/controller capability and choking the application. Doesn't necessarily show up as excess GPU/CPU usage, but does cause jerky playback, and loads of crashes.

Anyway, I may be way off base. I'm probably jinxing myself by posting this. But it makes sense. I've let Ken know as he was actively trying to help me get to the bottom of both issues.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I split my cams across 2 drives. when i was on the i7-3770 optiplex with less than desireable WD Blue drives, I had herky-jerky playback and other data retrieving slowness.
On the upgrade system....I have 1 WD Purp 8TB and one WD 5TB White label refurb, splitting the duty. and it keeps things optimal for file retrieval.
But of course you have 60!? might make a case for 3 or 4 drives.....when it comes to continuing to record on 59 cams while playing back on one....Some drives will be unaffected and happily keep recording, and only 1 drive is being asked to be a Hero.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm sure I'm testing the limits. Since noon, I'm now up to 1.3GB and nearly 8,000 alert images. Still humming along (knock on wood). I wonder if it's the simultaneous read/write, or if it's the shear number of files in a given directory. I know with windows, when a directory has too many files, it gets lethargic. Given that I'm currently filling at the same rate I had been when the instability and jerky playback was present, I have to assume it was the file count, rather than real-time read/write activity.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
ahh. hmmm lol...maybe two 7050's. :) or a tiny pc to offload some cams and alleviate the overloaded condition.